TH400 Exhaust Header Question

SVTXTC

Established Member
Do you need to remove the 03/04 Cobra exhaust headers to remove a TH400? My tuner would like me to have the convertor adjusted which will require the removal of the headers? Or can you pull the TH400 without removing the exhaust headers? The shop that installed this years ago cannot recall the answer to this question. I have Kooks 1/78th Headers. I have Stage 8 bolts. Thanks!

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
The T400 likely has a Ford SFI bell so you could get lucky and remove the trans only and leave the bell.
-J

Rambro

Established Member
When my buddy was trying to 6r80 swap his cobra it was a total pita with the kooks to drop, and re install the 6r80 compared to the t56. Had to get the trans at a awkward angle, strap the 6r80 to trans jack. Total pain. Good luck.

Soap

Established Member
The T400 likely has a Ford SFI bell so you could get lucky and remove the trans only and leave the bell.
-J

It's not like a manual trans. The bolts for the bell are behind the converter.....and you can't remove the converter unless you drop the trans.

--Joe

Last edited:

Soap

Established Member
Do you need to remove the 03/04 Cobra exhaust headers to remove a TH400? My tuner would like me to have the convertor adjusted which will require the removal of the headers? Or can you pull the TH400 without removing the exhaust headers? The shop that installed this years ago cannot recall the answer to this question. I have Kooks 1/78th Headers. I have Stage 8 bolts. Thanks!

I can not remove or install my 400 without removing the passenger header, driver side I can leave in place.

--Joe

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
It's not like a manual trans. The bolts for the bell are behind the converter.....and you can't remove the converter unless you drop the trans.

--Joe
That’s kind of what I was hoping wouldn’t be the case but yes, if that’s the only way then usually it’s just the passenger side header that needs to be removed.
Hope he has a lift and trans Jack!
-J

ITSTOCK

Established Member
You can shimmy the 400 out between the Kooks 1 7/8, have to go on an angle, but it will fit.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Passenger side isn't all that bad to remove bolts .
I found raising engine up as far as you can will help for top bolts ,you will be able to see them vs feel for them

I have BBK 1 5/8 not sure if these are easier being thinner ,

ITSTOCK

Established Member
Passenger side isn't all that bad to remove bolts .
I found raising engine up as far as you can will help for top bolts ,you will be able to see them vs feel for them

I have BBK 1 5/8 not sure if these are easier being thinner ,
They are considerably easier than 1 7/8.

I’ve had my th400 with both kooks 5/8 and now the 7/8, and again, the trans comes out without loosening headers.

Users who are viewing this thread