Texas Vehicle Title transfer?

Duran

Matador
Established Member
Lets say my dad gave me his car and I wanted the title transferred to my name. Would I have to pay taxes for that vehicle to get the title transferred?

Thanks in advance.

01SaleenS281

01-459
Established Member
The tax offices have now started charging sales tax on vehicles based on blue book value due to the gifting that has being used so frequently in consumer to consumer selling. Even if you purchase a non-running beater for $100 you will still pay the tax based on the blue book value during the title transfer. Sucks, but they got hip to the good 'ole boy negotiation tactic.

Duran

Matador
Established Member
The tax offices have now started charging sales tax on vehicles based on blue book value due to the gifting that has being used so frequently in consumer to consumer selling. Even if you purchase a non-running beater for $100 you will still pay the tax based on the blue book value during the title transfer. Sucks, but they got hip to the good 'ole boy negotiation tactic.

Thats what I heard but wanted to verify. Sucks!:nonono:

Thanks!

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
Lets say my dad gave me his car and I wanted the title transferred to my name. Would I have to pay taxes for that vehicle to get the title transferred?

Thanks in advance.

You should have your dad write a letter stating the car was given to you as a gift. Then you should only pay for the paperwork of tranfering the title to you. You are a allowed a vehicle as a gift.

SVT Lurch

Good times
Established Member
But at least it's only 80% :shrug:

txyaloo

Established Member

You're talking about standard presumptive value which doesn't apply to gifts, trades, etc. I had a vehicle transferred over to my name as a gift several months ago and just paid the paperwork ($50 I believe). They can't charge sales tax when no sale was involved.

Also, if you purchase a $100 beater, and have a bill of sale showing what the car cost as well as a certified appraisal, you will only have to pay tax on the purchase price.

01SaleenS281

01-459
Established Member
You're talking about standard presumptive value which doesn't apply to gifts, trades, etc. I had a vehicle transferred over to my name as a gift several months ago and just paid the paperwork ($50 I believe). They can't charge sales tax when no sale was involved.

Also, if you purchase a $100 beater, and have a bill of sale showing what the car cost as well as a certified appraisal, you will only have to pay tax on the purchase price.

You are probably correct. My communications were based on secend hand knowledge from an individual that probably didn't go through the proper processes to get all the necessary paperwork in order. Thanks for the information!!! :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread