Texas State Troopers

Fuerza

Established Member
I'm working on my resume to apply to TX DPS troopers. They have an application website which I can upload my resume, college transcripts, and other documents. I see in the job announcement they are asking for a credit report and DD-214 for military. Do they want all that stuff as part of the application process? That seems like that would come later but I don't want them to kick my application out for being incomplete. There isn't an DPS recruiter in El Paso, I'm going to call the Midland recruiting office tomorrow. Has anyone recently applied and gone through the process?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jbs$

Established Member
Assuming that you are otherwise qualified, a good place to start the process is a visit to the office of your local State Representative. These folks should be able to get you pointed to the right people to talk with and off to a better start.

Fuerza

Established Member
I got busy on Friday and didn't get a chance to call. I went ahead and dropped my application and resume on their website. They have a job fair coming up in July in El Paso. We will see how it goes.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
I applied earlier this year, had to get a credit report from a place here in San Antonio and provide the copy sealed to them. they want everything up front because when you take your math test/reading it will all be back to back. if you're not great with math don't be shocked if you fail the exam. most people do from what the told me when I took mine luckily you have 3 tries lol.

Fuerza

Established Member
I took and passed the physical fitness test, math and reading comprehension test today. Next is the polygraph.

Last edited:

03 SeRpEnT

The Feeling Hurter
Established Member
Congrats man, keep at it. This is a very difficult position to attain and a prestigious opportunity if you are selected.

Fuerza

Established Member
Failed the polygraph today. Looks like my future in law enforcement is over.

Fuerza

Established Member
Yeah, the question was along the lines of work related disciplinary action. Like have you ever been written up or reprimanded.

I have and I disclosed that information but the test kept saying I was being deceptive. I was not hiding more than what I disclosed. Being in the US Army we get a monthly counseling which can be positive or negative in nature. That IMO was probably what got me. I remember times getting written up for things I did as a private ect. I have never gotten an AR-15 or GO Letter. I admitted a lot of military related stuff but I guess it wasn't deep enough.

ViperRed91GT

Lightning Guru
Established Member
Why does that end your career as a LEO? Hell, I wouldn't even say it ended your career at Texas DPS. Figure out what you're possibly thinking about, get it clear in your mind, and apply again.

jbs$

Established Member
OP, polygraphs are given for a reason. They are not so much interested in what you did as a pfc as they are in, is there a risk that in a marginal situation, would there be the risk of you shading the facts a little to help your case. In this area, it is fairly unforgiving.

Fuerza

Established Member
I can't argue with the results. That test really shook my nerves. I don't have the desire to go through that again. Maybe being an LEO isn't for me and that test was enough to prove it.

massmustang02

I hate Wrist Pins
Established Member
Stick it out. Those tests aren't supposed to be easy. Make sure you fully disclose anything within the pretest questionnaire and be completely truthful with yourself and your responses. They understand no one is a saint. They want to know can you be honest with yourself, can you be honest when no one is looking, and can you be honest when the stress is on and the situation may be unfavorable towards you. If you look at law enforcement employment opportunities throughout the country, more often than not, an applicant does not get hired on their first try. Plus if you apply again, it demonstrates a strength to persevere through adversity and your desire for the position. Hang in there!

Vik912

Established Member
If this the job that you truly want, then don't give up! As another poster mentioned, it is very rare for a applicant to get hired on their first application in law enforcement.

Regarding the polygraph...

A polygraph cannot tell if you're lying or not, hence polygraph results are not admissible in court. There is no machine in this world that can tell if a person is lying or not. What a polygraph does is measure a number of things that usually occur within a person's body when they are lying, such as elevated heart rate, elevated breathing, blood pressure, sweating of hands, etc. There are people that can lie, and none of those symptoms show. Then there are people that just naturally show all of those symptoms when they are under stress, even though they might be telling the truth.

In most cases a polygraph examiners job is to evaluate any "signs of deception" that the machine reads and then discuss those issues with you. Many polygraph examiners will then retest you in the specific area or areas that you showed signs of deception. Some people show signs of deception because they really are lying, while others show signs because they feel guilty about it, or are just plain nervous. It is up to the polygraph examiner to determine which one it is. If the examiner cannot determine, they cannot pass you. So it's in your best interest to tell them every little detail that might be on your mind, no matter how minor you think it might be. Let the polygraph examiner decided if it's important or not.

Again, if law enforcement is what you truly want to do, then don't give up! Take this as a learning experience, and use it to improve yourself as an applicant. Good luck to you!

Users who are viewing this thread