Texas mile driveshaft

Makinghole

Established Member
Everyone making big power is running a Magnum XL with an aluminium driveshaft. We had two mustangs making +1000 hp running 200+ on aluminium shafts.

brian@p+

Established Member
I have the dyno tech aluminum shaft. Wasn't sure what critical speed was on it. I know the carbon fibre ones have a higher rating. But if aluminum is getting it done. That saves me some dough.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Aren't the carbon fiber ones better in that if they break it turns to dust?

I had a steel driveshaft fail at 140 on another car, and man what a racket, wrecked the transmission tunnel, and I didn't have a safety loop (this was out on a highway, never tracked it), not good I know, but other than my ears ringing for a week, I got off pretty easy.

Van@RevanRacing

Makinghole, Derek, Toby, Tye, Jeff , JW , Chris etc. etc. SPEC P-Trim or SPEC ST Trim

Both of which I have in stock......

Driveshaft, you'll be fine with the Dynotech. You've already had some pretty high speed with the car so all is well there. I would recommend a safety loop if you don't already have one. We've run Dynotech, Drive Shaft Shop and PST shafts on these cars.

brian@p+

Established Member
Makinghole, Derek, Toby, Tye, Jeff , JW , Chris etc. etc. SPEC P-Trim or SPEC ST Trim

Both of which I have in stock......

Driveshaft, you'll be fine with the Dynotech. You've already had some pretty high speed with the car so all is well there. I would recommend a safety loop if you don't already have one. We've run Dynotech, Drive Shaft Shop and PST shafts on these cars.

That's one less thing to ease my mind. I do have a loop on the car, still don't want to see that shaft come off..or apart. Evrything was quite smoothe in the car that day. Except hood was starting to buffet after 180. Also ripped the passenger side of front spoiler off somehow.

I have a mccleoud RXT currently, it works great but if the new combo makes 1100rwhp will it hold? I don't run slicks or drag launch the car. I may see on the dyno I guess. But I hate to make the 8000klm round trip to find out the mile is harder on the clutch than the dyno.

bFoxGt500

Established Member
Weird coincident? - I had the passenger side splitter come off my car at the TM this past fall also! In my case, I had some previous damage to the splitter/bumper connection on the passenger side, so it was not as secure underneath as the drivers side. I figured air pressure bulged out the space between the splitter and bumper and - see ya!

Van@RevanRacing

That's one less thing to ease my mind. I do have a loop on the car, still don't want to see that shaft come off..or apart. Evrything was quite smoothe in the car that day. Except hood was starting to buffet after 180. Also ripped the passenger side of front spoiler off somehow.

I have a mccleoud RXT currently, it works great but if the new combo makes 1100rwhp will it hold? I don't run slicks or drag launch the car. I may see on the dyno I guess. But I hate to make the 8000klm round trip to find out the mile is harder on the clutch than the dyno.

If you're going to be 1100 RWHP we've had other cars switch to SPEC. That's a long trip. I'd give the existing clutch a close inspection prior to dyno tuning and testing and see how the discs look.

As for you and bFoxGt500 and your parts coming loose. Helitape is your friend. It's expensive but it holds stuff together and down. That's how we kept the removable hardtop down on the 220 MPH Super Snake! Helitape FTW! Painters tape sucks and is useless sticky paper at these high speeds.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
True or false, don't CF driveshafts turn to dust when they break? That's what I've been told.

brian@p+

Established Member
Weird coincident? - I had the passenger side splitter come off my car at the TM this past fall also! In my case, I had some previous damage to the splitter/bumper connection on the passenger side, so it was not as secure underneath as the drivers side. I figured air pressure bulged out the space between the splitter and bumper and - see ya!
I have a 2010 with the Seibon carbon 2013 style splitter. It came loose and tore about 6" but stayed on. Made a bad slapping noise though. Lol. I was at the March 2014 meet.

brian@p+

Established Member
If you're going to be 1100 RWHP we've had other cars switch to SPEC. That's a long trip. I'd give the existing clutch a close inspection prior to dyno tuning and testing and see how the discs look.

As for you and bFoxGt500 and your parts coming loose. Helitape is your friend. It's expensive but it holds stuff together and down. That's how we kept the removable hardtop down on the 220 MPH Super Snake! Helitape FTW! Painters tape sucks and is useless sticky paper at these high speeds.

I ordered the Spec ST to replace my Mccleoud RXT today. May as well sell it as it is hardly used instead of wrecking it.

Thanks for the advice and great service Van.

Van@RevanRacing

I ordered the Spec ST to replace my Mccleoud RXT today. May as well sell it as it is hardly used instead of wrecking it.

Thanks for the advice and great service Van.

Thanks for the business Brian! Great chatting with you and it sounds like you're going to have a monster of car! Clutch is shipping out today!

Van

bFoxGt500

Established Member
Van@RevanRacing;As for you and bFoxGt500 and your parts coming loose. Helitape is your friend. It's expensive but it holds stuff together and down. That's how we kept the removable hardtop down on the 220 MPH Super Snake! Helitape FTW! Painters tape sucks and is useless sticky paper at these high speeds.[/QUOTE said:
Thanks Van, I've heard and seen this tape - just not on my car :). I really think the previous damage to my splitter was the primary culprit, but I will look into the Helitape for the next time (assuming I try again this coming Spring). I will have to either buy a new bumper or find a more secure connection between splitter and bumper since the damage caused by losing the splitter twice is too much to hold up at speed (even though I am not close to 200 mph)! I am also concerned about air under the hood and am sure the Heliptape will protect it from popping up - not a good thing!

Van@RevanRacing

Thanks Van, I've heard and seen this tape - just not on my car :). I really think the previous damage to my splitter was the primary culprit, but I will look into the Helitape for the next time (assuming I try again this coming Spring). I will have to either buy a new bumper or find a more secure connection between splitter and bumper since the damage caused by losing the splitter twice is too much to hold up at speed (even though I am not close to 200 mph)! I am also concerned about air under the hood and am sure the Heliptape will protect it from popping up - not a good thing!

I can get helitape. I normally get it a month before the event for all of my friends and customers who are attending.

Take the lower splitter off. It's just resistance anyway. We've taken them off multiple times and been over 200.

Van

bFoxGt500

Established Member
interesting idea Van - I had thought the downforce, as slight as it is and even though it adds resistance, would be helpful in keeping the nose planted. I can't ever get the video of that Lamborghini going airborne (few yearas ago) out of my mind I will take your advice. Thanks.

Van@RevanRacing

interesting idea Van - I had thought the downforce, as slight as it is and even though it adds resistance, would be helpful in keeping the nose planted. I can't ever get the video of that Lamborghini going airborne (few yearas ago) out of my mind I will take your advice. Thanks.

I don't think we'll ever know what happened with the Lambo. I will say this. The night before that happened I walked by their pit and the rear end was out of the car. I dunno. The short tethered chute didn't help that situation either as it should have been much longer IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread