Texas Mile and (yet another) 13-6 review

dubbsfaris

Shelby SP Region Director
Established Member
As I have been reminded in another thread- Its been done. So now that the obvious has been stated, since results tend to vary slightly, I always like having a larger collection of data to pool so that a definitive expectation can be placed on a given mod. Revan Racing, (Van) and I decided to take this October's Texas Mile to add to the 13-6 data collected, and while the conditions on Friday and Saturday sucked, it did provide us with a consistent condition that gave repeatable results.

I run a 2014 DIB/Red GT500 bone stock. I removed the aftermarket grill, and used no Hella tape for these runs. Its also worth noting I weigh about 280 lbs. and kept the fuel around half a tank on 93 Octane.

My stock dyno was done at Maximum Velocity on October 22, 2013. They use a Mustang Dyno and although it historically reads a bit low, we compared my stock run to two other 2013+ stock runs from other customers and they were all within about 3 or 4 HP and Torque.

Stock:
HP - 573.329
TQ - 539.601

13-6:
HP - 662.487
TQ - 602.241

Dyno gains of -
HP - 89.158
TQ - 62.640

Texas Mile results-

Of the two days I was able to run, I had 4 out of 5 solid runs.
Day 1

(Stock)
Run 1 : 8:32AM
1/2: 144.4
1 : 157.3 (I ran balls out to the half, then let off in order to qualify my license. 140-165 required control run)
Run 2 : 11:15AM
1/2: 144.4
1 : 164.9

(13-6)
Run 3 : 3:23PM (Trouble with the new TB meant I had to run this one with the factory TB)
1/2: 150.4
1 : 171.4

Day 2 (Was really hoping the early run would give me a better chance as the wind isnt as bad early morning, but between several blown engines out there and a bad car fire, my first run was almost 11:00AM
Run 4 : 10:42AM (and I'll add they shut the grid down with me right behind another car at the line for glam shots and video promo, including the medivac helicopter spinning its rotors, while I sat in my car sweating my ass off with all my gear on for about 15 minutes) By the time I got to go, I was not in the zone, spun my tires, and cost me a couple seconds.
1/2 : 148.2
1 : 171.4

Then a funny thing happened- Jon Lund got my new TB working, went over my tune, and asked me to run again. (I intended to call it a day as busy as it was, but I wasnt letting his work go to waste) I got in line at 1:05PM.
Run 5 : 4:49PM
1/2 : 153.3
1 : 176.6

I gained 10 MPH at the half, and over 12 MPH at the mile. It seems on the TVS, the biggest gains are low end, but my observation was that stock, it barely gained anything over 162-ish, and with the 13-6 I watched the digital speedometer carry to 179 before I let off, and it was still climbing pretty well.
All in all, I was glad I waited and ran that very last run. This car has 180s in it no problem under better conditions. The last run was flawless from my standpoint. I can easily assume with a pulley, this car will break 190. And I shall....oh yes, I shall.

I want to thank Van and Jon Lund (both Jons) for spending extra time on my car when they really had bigger builds to worry about, Jason Freisenhahn, Sean Musik, Mike Lee for turning wrenches and helping out, Lee Novikoff for having every tool you need under the sun and all the support he constantly provides every mile, Tracy Keller and Tim Lee from Maximum Velocity for always helpin a brother in need out, and the great job on the dynos and just about every mod done on all my vehicles, including Ruckuses and RVs. (Im such a pain in the ass):beer::rockon:

Anyway, you can draw your own conclusions from the data I laid out- temperatures were a steady mid 80s for all but the early Friday run, with ESE winds of about 15MPH. (Cross/slight head) Humidity was high, but cant tell you how high.

I have been to every Texas Mile since March 2009, and our group gets bigger and better every time! Its my cant miss every year, twice a year.

Last edited:

SHLBYLVR

Established Member
Warren I saw your last run. The group of guys in the pits were excited for you. Do you think you could have gone faster? It was really windy. Good Job!

dubbsfaris

Established Member
Warren I saw your last run. The group of guys in the pits were excited for you. Do you think you could have gone faster? It was really windy. Good Job!

I think that was probably the best run it had in it in those conditions- but on a day without that wind, then yeah, it probably would settle in around 183 or so. Now, with a pulley? Im betting 190 might be in reach.

dubbsfaris

Established Member
Dyno pulls were on a MD1100 Mustang Dyno, not a dyno jet. Numbers are weather corrected (SAE).

Did I really say that?! Of course its a Mustang Dyno! That's what I get for typing that up in the heat of work.

Sorry for that Tracy. :-D

SHLBYLVR

Established Member
I think that was probably the best run it had in it in those conditions- but on a day without that wind, then yeah, it probably would settle in around 183 or so. Now, with a pulley? Im betting 190 might be in reach.

I'll be there in March! Better weather will help!

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Tracy,
Did you run at the Mile? Didn't see you on Saturday.
Broke the trans at the half mile point on the first run. What sucks is, mph was better at the half than it was on my 202 run. :cuss: Oh well, that's racing!

Did I really say that?! Of course its a Mustang Dyno! That's what I get for typing that up in the heat of work.

Sorry for that Tracy. :-D
LOL! Figured you were still a little fuzzy-headed from the weekend. ;-)

Van@RevanRacing

Thanks for the post dubbs

This is practical real world application data. Yes we've seen the 13-6 kit has been proven time and again but now simply add a few things to this kit.....

OD Lower Balancer
Long Tube Headers with Off Road Exhaust
Race Gas

And you're into the 700's with Horsepower and Torque, excellent drivability and mid 180 to low 190 MPH at the Texas Mile.

Just with some modest bolt ons.

Good stuff.

dubbsfaris

Established Member
Thanks for the post dubbs

This is practical real world application data. Yes we've seen the 13-6 kit has been proven time and again but now simply add a few things to this kit.....

OD Lower Balancer
Long Tube Headers with Off Road Exhaust
Race Gas

And you're into the 700's with Horsepower and Torque, excellent drivability and mid 180 to low 190 MPH at the Texas Mile.

Just with some modest bolt ons.

Good stuff.

Thanks for making it so easy Van!! :beer:

In fact, you make it too easy! :bash:

LTs and pulley in route.... Damn you and your simple customer service!!;-)

Users who are viewing this thread