Texas Leos question on Front License Plate

olchakla

Dallas Mustang Cover Car
Established Member
Posing the question to Texas Leos. I was reviewing Texas Statutes on front license plate requirement. I could only locate within Transportation Code Chapter 502 Registration of Vehicles.

States that motor vehicles must have both front and rear license plates. I couldn't find anything specific to exact placement requirements. couldn't find any section that specifically states attachment to front bumper.

So I can be in compliance if I placed my front license plate inside my front window? It is facing front so that should keep me in compliance.

Do Texas Leos carry the Texas Vehicle Code with them that they could verify compliance if I questioned them on them issuing me a citation for not having front license plate specically attached to the front bumper and placed on the inside of the front window instead?

SVTCOUPLE

Established Member
You can beat the rap, but you can't beat the ride.

I have a feeling he could give you a ticket if he wanted to but you might beat it in court. I take my chances, I have no front plate but have been verbally warned several times.

olchakla

Dallas Mustang Cover Car
Established Member
I have had a few times I got nailed with a speeding ticket and was verbally warned on missing the front license plate.

I learned from someone who got ticketed for missing a front license plate that he was fined $110 and attaching the front license plate would dismiss the ticket. Reason why I wanted to remove the problems of not having a front license plate would cause.

I had damaged the front bumper and used the excuse the license plate was lost and was being replaced. That won't get me out of getting nailed eventually.

davis31b

'04 COBRA
Established Member
In the state of Texas, you are issued two license plates, so both have to be displayed, all cars are also issued license plate mounts for the front (dealers must issue them when the car is new), so it is your responsibility to have it affixed to the FRONT (ie bumper) of the vehicle. However most judges consider them a "Fix-it Ticket"

Users who are viewing this thread