Texas emissions test

coolwater28

Da Beast!!!!!!
Established Member
I'm going to be moving to Houston in the next couple of months and I see Texas has emissions test so what all do they do? I currently have stock exhaust manifolds and an off road x pipe. Do I need to start looking for some converters?

FATHERFORD

Established Member
Go to a mom pop place and make sure your tune has the cats turned off....

It helps to weld in some fake cats.

Rct851

Established Member
I'm trying to get inspected right now. Definetly a mom and pop shop but he did go around it with mirrors. Didn't have an issue visually, not sure if it's because I'm too low for him to actually see or he just doesn't care.

O2's showing not ready so I'm drive cycling the hell out of its and I'll try again next week. Tune is AED and I'm sure it should be good to go eventually but some cars are stubborn was the explanation. I'll go stock if I have to but if that's the case parts will be sold.

AfricanSnowOwl

Established Member
You could drive to San Antonio where they only do safety, no emissions. Shouldn't be an issue that's its registered in a different county. Mine was still registered in Dallas when I got mine inspected last year here.

H-TownMachI

It's the Hamburglar
Established Member
I think AED can set your monitors to ready or N/A in the tune. I would contact them and see what they can do.

Rct851

Established Member
I think AED can set your monitors to ready or N/A in the tune. I would contact them and see what they can do.

Yes he can but some cars computers are more stubborn to show ready on everything. I'm N/A and emailed Shaun about this a few days ago.

92fiveohfox

Established Member
Texas is going to no inspection stocked next month, it will be one sticker for both. Anyone know how that will affect these mod friendly inspection places?

mantis118

Established Member
Will be the same del it is currently. Just puts your vin in the states system saying passed.
They are doing this to stop the forged stickers.

92fiveohfox

Established Member
Will be the same del it is currently. Just puts your vin in the states system saying passed.
They are doing this to stop the forged stickers.

I thought currently they can just give you a sticker without hooking it up. Once it changes if your monitors aren't all reading right, won't it not pass and show up in the state database that way?

mantis118

Established Member
Will be the same inspection. Depending on the county depends on if they check emissions sensors. Nothing is changing, we are just loosing the inspection sticker itself.

92fiveohfox

Established Member
Will be the same inspection. Depending on the county depends on if they check emissions sensors. Nothing is changing, we are just loosing the inspection sticker itself.

Ya I get that. I'm just saying if you live anywhere close to Houston you are supposed to get an obd2 test. Right now some shops may just slap a sticker on and not do it. Once it's not a sticker I'm not sure how you could pass without actually passing the test. Maybe I'm wrong. That's what I was trying to find out.

Jabooh1

Established Member
Any new information on this? I am thinking Long Tube headers with offroad H. but need to pass emissions in Houston.

Rct851

Established Member
They are also required to drive the vehicle now to test the brakes. I got my car tested two weeks ago at a "mod" friendly shop and he had to drive it around the parking lot. Still passed but the driving part might be an issue for some.
Yea I'm not ok with that. The dude can ride shotgun.

AKDMB

Established Member
Do nonfoulers like these work on these cars? I know people use them on older cars, but I haven't heard about anyone using them on a 2011+ car. Don't wanna derail the thread, just wondering if this is a realistic solution. We have the same thing here in NC, you can't register your car unless it passes emissions. How do people get passed off at some of these mod friendly shops if the inspection computer sends the test results results regardless of whether or not the car passes, correct me if I'm wrong but you can't be given the good to go unless the computer sees that the car passes. I understand people getting around the visual inspection, but not the OBD2 readiness.

http://www.teamjdm.com/02-exhaust-bung-extensions-non-foulers-for-off-road-use/

Last edited:

txcharlie

Never fast enough
Established Member
Do nonfoulers like these work on these cars? I know people use them on older cars, but I haven't heard about anyone using them on a 2011+ car. Don't wanna derail the thread, just wondering if this is a realistic solution. We have the same thing here in NC, you can't register your car unless it passes emissions. How do people get passed off at some of these mod friendly shops if the inspection computer sends the test results results regardless of whether or not the car passes, correct me if I'm wrong but you can't be given the good to go unless the computer sees that the car passes. I understand people getting around the visual inspection, but not the OBD2 readiness.

http://www.teamjdm.com/02-exhaust-bung-extensions-non-foulers-for-off-road-use/

I think the only way to get past it, is put cats on for inspection. I would think the smell of a catless exhaust would tip them off. As far as getting past the computer test, they have a dummy file from a car that has passed emissions inspection.

Last edited:

txcharlie

Never fast enough
Established Member
They are also required to drive the vehicle now to test the brakes. I got my car tested two weeks ago at a "mod" friendly shop and he had to drive it around the parking lot. Still passed but the driving part might be an issue for some.

I think the brake test has been a requirement already in place. I know they did it on my last 2 inspections.

txcharlie

Never fast enough
Established Member
I had one of those cars that would not show a ready state, even though the tune had them on and the cats were on the car.

Users who are viewing this thread