Texans VS New Yorkers?? WTF?

Mattio

Established Member
What s the major issue between New Yorkers and Texans?
I grew up in a military family and have lived all over this country including WA, AK, TX, VA, PA, GA and FL. Recently my career in engineering landed me a job in Houston so I made the move with my girlfriend who is from NY. Also a friend who recently got out of the Navy and is from the city of New York is here in h-town living with me while he goes to school.
Last night my house erupted into a heated debate on the hatefulness of a “Yankee” in Texas and how prideful Texans are and how willing they are to smash it in the face of a “Yankee”. Basically my New Yorker roommate and my upstate New York girlfriend feel a little discriminated against here in TX! Personally I don’t see the discrimination they speak of nor do I agree with their arguments to the idea. My roommate and I go out all the time and he gets called a “Yankee” numerous times a night all the time, but I had no idea it was a derogatory statement in fact I laugh. My girlfriend who is a bartender says she has Texans come in her bar who won’t speak to her after they find out she’s from New York! I find this a little ridiculous! Is there a true hatred between the north and south?
Does anyone else have experience dealing with this issue? How do you deal with a couple of New Yorkers who are new to the south who apparently are feeling a little disliked, and do you think they have a good argument?

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
I have some buddies down here that call me yankee but I dont take offense to it. I think people are more serious about it now in light off all that is going on in regards to gun rights and such.

Your girlfriend and friend need some thicker skin if they are letting this bother them.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
YANKEES!!!!!!!!!!!!!....GODDAMN LIBERAL HEATHENS!!!!!!!!!!!! Just kidding....much ado about nothing really...only halfwits would make a deal about either way. Now as for baseball, definitely hate the ****ing NY Yankees!!!!!!!

Mattio

Established Member
basically what I said. How can anyone come to Texas and not expect to get a dose of the infamous Texas pride?!?! I cant help but believe the New York pride in my roommate is large part of his issues. He has a deep new york accent, wears a NY tee shirt almost everyday and is even a little 5'6" Italian with slicked back hair lol!! maybe hes asking for trouble.

MachJoe

Established Member
I was born in NY and moved to Texas when I was 8. People called me Yankee, but it never went anything passed that. :shrug:

venom_inc

Killing time at work.
Established Member
Basically the South still thinks there is a civil war going on. They think everyone in the North are liberals and are out to destroy the country. I went to Charleston, SC to visit a few of my buddies and all their friends down there seemed to hate me just because I was from NJ. I was really shocked. They kept calling me "Yankee" and I just kept reminding them that I don't play professional baseball.

Sick03Vert

Banned
What s the major issue between New Yorkers and Texans?
I grew up in a military family and have lived all over this country including WA, AK, TX, VA, PA, GA and FL. Recently my career in engineering landed me a job in Houston so I made the move with my girlfriend who is from NY. Also a friend who recently got out of the Navy and is from the city of New York is here in h-town living with me while he goes to school.
Last night my house erupted into a heated debate on the hatefulness of a “Yankee” in Texas and how prideful Texans are and how willing they are to smash it in the face of a “Yankee”. Basically my New Yorker roommate and my upstate New York girlfriend feel a little discriminated against here in TX! Personally I don’t see the discrimination they speak of nor do I agree with their arguments to the idea. My roommate and I go out all the time and he gets called a “Yankee” numerous times a night all the time, but I had no idea it was a derogatory statement in fact I laugh. My girlfriend who is a bartender says she has Texans come in her bar who won’t speak to her after they find out she’s from New York! I find this a little ridiculous! Is there a true hatred between the north and south?
Does anyone else have experience dealing with this issue? How do you deal with a couple of New Yorkers who are new to the south who apparently are feeling a little disliked, and do you think they have a good argument?

Welcome to Houston..the city everyone says is so friendly, but isn't. :nonono:

I feel your pain. I came down here from Virginia and get the Yankee treatment constantly. Yes, there is a true hatred between north and south. My guess is they are still butthurt they lost the war. :-D

alex3610

Established Member
Basically the South still thinks there is a civil war going on. They think everyone in the North are liberals and are out to destroy the country. I went to Charleston, SC to visit a few of my buddies and all their friends down there seemed to hate me just because I was from NJ. I was really shocked. They kept calling me "Yankee" and I just kept reminding them that I don't play professional baseball.

I run into that some here in Richmond. Not everyone here thinks that way, but some do. We have a pretty famous street in town called Monument Ave. that has a bunch of sculptures of civil war generals on it. Occasionally I remind some of the locals that they can drive down Monument and take a look at all the pretty SECOND PLACE TROPHIES. Usually shuts them up.

MachJoe

Established Member
Welcome to Houston..the city everyone says is so friendly, but isn't. :nonono:

I feel your pain. I came down here from Virginia and get the Yankee treatment constantly. Yes, there is a true hatred between north and south. My guess is they are still butthurt they lost the war. :-D

Virginia was part of the South... :??:

venom_inc

Killing time at work.
Established Member
I run into that some here in Richmond. Not everyone here thinks that way, but some do. We have a pretty famous street in town called Monument Ave. that has a bunch of sculptures of civil war generals on it. Occasionally I remind some of the locals that they can drive down Monument and take a look at all the pretty SECOND PLACE TROPHIES. Usually shuts them up.

:lol:

astrodudepsu

1of72 Hater
Established Member
Virginia was part of the South... :??:

Yep. I moved to the south 5 years ago from a proper Northern Commonwealth, PA.

I've been to texas a handful of times and I've never gotten this negative attitude. Of course, I go down there to shoot fully automatic weapons, go to football games, and drink beer so I sort of fit in.

And I don't have that AWFUL AWFUL NYC/NJ accent that drives people nuts.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
Those are the types of Texans that give others a bad rep. Most of the true Texans will just poke fun at you, but never take it where the people you talk about did.

I don't hate people from the north, but if someone with an attitude thinks that are the shit and come down here still acting like he runs the streets, he will get set in his place by someone.

Down here in the south we are taught that to get respect, you must give respect. If your g/f and roommate are acting like civilized people, not causing a stir, and being mindful of others, there is no reason why people should treat the, like crap.

If they dont' talk to you, or treat them like crap for no reason, just brush it off and move on because they aren't representing the true nature of the southern culture.

Gray_Ghost

Established Member

Do you seriously believe that because of a few people? I was born & raised in Charleston. I didn't even know what a redneck was until I moved out of SC. I've also lived in southern OH and I saw more rebel flags up there than I do here in GA.

PDubs

Established Member
Yankee = Someone from the north that eventually leaves
Damn Yankee = Someone from the north that stays

I moved here from Virginia and it was an odd adjustment at first. Even as recent as five years ago when I was moonlighting at a restaurant, I had multiple good-ole-boy customers that mentioned "when Texas secedes again..." and they were dead serious. It was a shock to come down here and see so much state pride: Texas shaped earrings, belt buckles, you name it and if it is shaped like Texas, they will buy it AND wear it! Every truck (and sometimes car) commercial includes the phrase 'best in Texas.' Hell, there are even Texas edition trucks from all the major manufacturers.

While I have never run into the "get the hell outta Texas" discussions, it certainly has been an adjustment that remains on-going after 10+ years. It seems Austin is different (re: more tolerant) than the other major Texas cities for whatever reason. Maybe due to the daily inflow of transplants. Coming from a military family, I've lived on both coasts and in-between but half-joking to my friends, I tell them to bring your passport when you visit; it is a different country down here.

Sick03Vert

Banned
Those are the types of Texans that give others a bad rep. Most of the true Texans will just poke fun at you, but never take it where the people you talk about did.

I don't hate people from the north, but if someone with an attitude thinks that are the shit and come down here still acting like he runs the streets, he will get set in his place by someone.

Down here in the south we are taught that to get respect, you must give respect. If your g/f and roommate are acting like civilized people, not causing a stir, and being mindful of others, there is no reason why people should treat the, like crap.

If they dont' talk to you, or treat them like crap for no reason, just brush it off and move on because they aren't representing the true nature of the southern culture.

1. I've been down here for over 20 years...still trying to find this "southern culture."

2. You have a beautiful car. :thumbsup:

Mattio

Established Member

your point was part of my argument to them. I mentioned southern hospitality and respect. They both agreed that southerners will smile in your face and trash you when you leave the room and northerners will be up front and frank about what they think of you... which to them is somehow a better way to be.

Users who are viewing this thread