Tetge's Car Dead!

stang99

I was coming home on the 14 and I went to change lanes and I got on the gas and my car felt slower than a Focus. WTF, I thought, that's odd, so I got on it again and noticed that boost stayed at zero. When boost is at zero, the car is not fast at all.
Must have broke the blower belt I thought, but, the alternator light was not on. So, I got off the freeway and popped the hood and noticed that my intercooler res was EMPTY! When I started the car, nothing was circulating either in the intercooler circuit. I decided to drive the car home anyway and I did. When I got home I put water in the IC and this giant stream of water came out of a hole in the front of the IC radiator. Looks like a rock from the same family that got one of my driving lights awhile ago go my intercooler radiator. The car went to its famous fail safe mode, although it reset itself and I stayed out of boost all the way home so it ran normally and would make boost in a pinch.
So, it is Friday evening and I have a damaged IC radiator. No Carlsbad, although my Ford mechanic friend suggested that I out five minute epoxy on the radiator. I can't even localize the leak but it can empty the radiator in a very short time so it is a major leak. At least I found the problem and it was not leaking at the IC itself but I am really bummed that I will not be able to go to C-Bad and that my car is down for the duration.
After getting drunk, I am going to go out into the garage and see how much is involved to remove the IC radiator from the car so it can be fixed. It is aluminum so I can't just solder it up.
You all have a good time tomorrow and remember my car in your thoughts.
I guess that I will have to fabricate some additional protection for the driving lights and the intercooler. I was thinking about doing that and I should have trusted my instincts but I did not wish to obstruct the IC radiator's air flow at all.

03_Sonic Blur

Wanna Talk? PM Me
Established Member
Pat,

that blows big time. You know, I might just put Dave in the big freakin cooler for you missing this trip. Especially id he runs quick, and you're not there to see it.

Good luck finding the leak, rocks are a bitch

John

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Originally posted by 03_Sonic Blur
Pat,

that blows big time. You know, I might just put Dave in the big freakin cooler for you missing this trip. Especially id he runs quick, and you're not there to see it.

Good luck finding the leak, rocks are a bitch

John

P. Did u put John up to that? :dw: Well then again John is a smart one.

Sure pic on the small guy with the Fruity Avatar :nonono:

stang99

Unfortunately, not a trick this time. And, it happened today on the way to work or coming home since it is a fast leak. COuld be worse, but, damn, I sure wanted to see them stuff you in the ICE CHEST. Go out there and kick some ass for me tomorrow. You are starting to get the launch and with some fast shifts at sea level you should be right in the hunt.

TIP: If you want to win ask Juan for a grudge race :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Originally posted by Poisonous Mods
P. is this one of ur many tricks? If it isnt im trully sorry :( But u know i wish u it wasnt true :bash:

Sorry :(

Last edited by a moderator:

CobraRLC

Established Member
Dave you got the kitty from Dano..... I think that it would work better for you if it had a computer mouse instead of a tv remote.......

jhwalker

Dead Poster Walking
Established Member
Originally posted by Poisonous Mods
Yeah maybe the fix was a simple one?

BTW. Robert he just messes around alot about drinken :dw:

1. Could be massive subterfuge by the Tetge zen-master. I will believe he is not joining us around 3:30 pm tomorrow afternoon when he has still not shown.

2. Tetge and I do not mess around about drinking. The joint he takes me to brings out a drinks so strong that they would surely lower the boiling point of the car if thrown in the radiator.

I say 'bring me a 'wussie boy' drink' which still curls my hair... and is about 1/2 as strong Tetge's.

Come on T get on over to C-Bad

JW

stang99

I pulled the intercooler radiator to take a look at it. It had most of its fins bent from being hit by road debris and it was full of bugs and little rocks. The leak was coming from this big hole, although big is relative, as a round toothpick would not fit down the hole. I looked around for a screw small enough to fit in the hole since I figured that I could find just the right size self-tapper I could put sealant on it and plug the hole, but it was too small a hole for any screws that I could find, and there was no meat in the radiator to drill it bigger. I could not solder the radiator since it is aluminum. Finally, I took the smallest screw that I could find and ground and filed it down to fit the hole. Then I put lots of 5 minute epoxy in the hole, put my custom screw in the hole with more epoxy, and put the radiator back in the car. Tomorrow morning I'll fill it with straight water and see if my fix holds. It may end up being a permanent fix since I am sure the IC radiators are not cheap. But, the car definitely needs a screen over the IC radiator and the driving lights and I will have to fabricate one asap.
If the fix holds I'll have to get some Ford yellow anti freeze and some distilled water and properly fill the system. My car is approaching 31000 miles, so this is a head's up about the screen to protect your driving lights and IC radiator.

Users who are viewing this thread