Test drove an '18 GT350(non R)

RangerDLA

Established Member
I went and test drove one today. I wasn't impressed. It is very refined, handles extremely well, interior is an upgrade and the suspension feels great. I hoped it would knock my socks off, but it didn't. The power was linear and smooth, but it needs and could handle another 150 HP easily. I have a completely upgraded BMR suspension and pretty much everything minus a watts link. I also have a 13-6 kit minus the smaller pullies with a 93 Lund tune. They say you don't know what you have until it's gone and there's a lot of truth to that because after test driving the 350, I couldn't stomach giving up the badass machine I already have. Like I said, the 350 is an awesome car from the factory but it isn't better than what I've got. It's almost too refined and quiet, even with the sport exhaust open. The salesman let me get it on the highway too and I opened it up, so I got to wind it out to 7500rpms. It just wasn't enough for me. I'm curious to know if anyone else had the same experience. I'm also not bashing that car by any stretch, I was just underwhelmed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

RangerDLA

Established Member
IMG_5296.JPG

This is my car for reference.

Legendary 351

Banned
Established Member
I drove my friends 2017 350 R,and like you said,it doesnt have the power.At the same time the 350 is a track monster,and is great for that.Garbage Motors had to put a 650hp zl1 on it just to barely beat the R.The king is coming back.I just hope the new GT500 has over 800hp.

Legendary 351

Banned
Established Member
It seems like a lot of 500 guys got in one, and got back out.
Yes,my friend is thinking,he should have waited longer before getting the R.When people roll race,you need POWER.Alot of people dont like to here it,but roll racing and road course racing has a HUGE following.

Need 04 Wine

Meanest CDN on SVTP
Established Member
Those cars were purely a status symbol around here.

I live in central Alberta and far as I know the track this car needs doesn’t exist around here.
Not even sure if there is one in the province. Maybe British Colombia. But that’s like a potential 12 hour drive.

As you mentioned a well equipped gt had little issue dispatching these on the street.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
Yes,my friend is thinking,he should have waited longer before getting the R.When people roll race,you need POWER.Alot of people dont like to here it,but roll racing and road course racing has a HUGE following.
I have no problem with roll racing at all. Even slow roll start. I don't like shocking the drivetrain from a dig any more than I have too. Plus, I'm still running the factory gear.

Legendary 351

Banned
Established Member
I have no problem with foll racing at all. Even slow roll start. I don't like shocking the drivetrain from a dig any more than I have too. Plus, I'm still running the factory gear.
My gear is factory too,and i might just keep it that way.I rolled raced a gtr last summer and beat him.I did change my rims and tires.My rims are from LMR.They are the SVE GT7 rims.My tires are michelin ps4.up front 295/35/20,and the rear is 315/35/20.

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
My gear is factory too,and i might just keep it that way.I rolled raced a gtr last summer and beat him.I did change my rims and tires.My rims are from LMR.They are the SVE GT7 rims.My tires are michelin ps4.up front 295/35/20,and the rear is 315/35/20.
I have no plans to swap gears. I'd thought about it early on, got the car in July of '12.
After all the gear whine stories, I decided against it.
With most street cars I've ran, by the time I hit 2nd, they ain't catching me anyway!

Kapy

Established Member
View attachment 1461467

This is my car for reference.

Your car is bad ass! I am pretty sure most of us feel exactly the same way. I also agree with a lot of members on this forum as well, the new GT500 better have at least 800hp. But I don't think it will based on the information we are all getting at this point. Even if it has 750, it doesn't take a whole lot to get our cars at that point and of course way further at the mercy of the rods :( But I guess the point is, most of us are already pushing the hp they are claiming the new GT500 will have. Doesn't pencil for me.

barstowpo

Established Member
My 350 is plenty fun in the twisties and at Big Willow. I could see where more power would help on the street but that is not where this car really shines. There is nowhere on the street that is safe to really see this car's capabilities.

Legendary 351

Banned
Established Member
Your car is bad ass! I am pretty sure most of us feel exactly the same way. I also agree with a lot of members on this forum as well, the new GT500 better have at least 800hp. But I don't think it will based on the information we are all getting at this point. Even if it has 750, it doesn't take a whole lot to get our cars at that point and of course way further at the mercy of the rods :( But I guess the point is, most of us are already pushing the hp they are claiming the new GT500 will have. Doesn't pencil for me.
It would be a disgrace if they dont have over 800hp.Why come out with a car with less power?As far as our cars go,there are alot running out there with over 900hp,and are fine.I hope to get my supercharger ported and a few more things and be at over 800hp at the crank.

Kapy

Established Member
It would be a disgrace if they dont have over 800hp.Why come out with a car with less power?As far as our cars go,there are alot running out there with over 900hp,and are fine.I hope to get my supercharger ported and a few more things and be at over 800hp at the crank.
I hear ya. I hope Ford will bring it.

99VERT

Established Member
Totally agree with everything mentioned above! Drove my buddies 2017 GT350 and I just couldn't get used to the lack of torque below 4000rpm. Its crazy how our 500s make so much power and torque you can't use the power most of the time. My buddy with the GT350 drove mine and said "thats a 3/4 throttle car"! Meaning he didn't even need full throttle to scare the heck out of him.

Nick03gt

Established Member
Those cars were purely a status symbol around here.

I live in central Alberta and far as I know the track this car needs doesn’t exist around here.
Not even sure if there is one in the province. Maybe British Colombia. But that’s like a potential 12 hour drive.

As you mentioned a well equipped gt had little issue dispatching these on the street.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

That is why there are so many unsold gt350s around here and Saskatchewan.

blown93302

Established Member
Totally agree with everything mentioned above! Drove my buddies 2017 GT350 and I just couldn't get used to the lack of torque below 4000rpm. Its crazy how our 500s make so much power and torque you can't use the power most of the time. My buddy with the GT350 drove mine and said "thats a 3/4 throttle car"! Meaning he didn't even need full throttle to scare the heck out of him.

where in the world do you need all this torque at when your driving on the street. i have a '17 gt350, have never driven a 500 and cant imagine needing all that hp on the street. the 350 is amazing, it just keeps revving and asking for more. i love it

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
OP,.....I hear and read that the GT350/GT350R is an awesome handling car, but it lacks in the power department. It is a great looking car, especially the GT350R.
Your car looks pretty nasty bro.

Users who are viewing this thread