Tesla roadster 0-60 in UNDER 2 seconds

blk02edge

Established Member
Gonna be a while yet before soccer mom's new tesla mini van can destroy a late model modded mustang in the 1/4 for the same price. It may someday happen.

Handwriting is on the wall. Electric cars will eventually dominate in every regard. I may be gone from this world before it happens.

Tesla is too big to fail and when they finally produce and turn a profit on their own. Which someday they will. All the complaints about subsidies and whatnot will be forgotten.
mustangs?? those soccer moms will have Demon blood

electrikoptik

Get to the choppa!
Established Member
Is this the beginning of the end for the big block V8s and super cars that are gas powered? This (seems) to out perform a ton of vehicles out there. Especially with a 8.8sec quarter mile.
This makes me want to cling to my slow GT500.

This car has...wait for it:

7367 lb-ft of torque. Not a typo.
No V8 or any gas/diesel engine can match those torque figures.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Mehhhhhhh,........no interest in any electric car really.
Yes they are quick, but they look ugly, cost a lot of money and sound like shit. I'll pass.

treynor

Confirmed Power Junkie
Established Member
Premium Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
7367 ft. lb and it only runs a high 8.

:)

Remember, torque is just a measure of force. A gas-powered car could have 7368 ft. lb. of torque at the wheel with the proper gearing; that by itself doesn't make it fast.

Horsepower - or, equivalently, kW - is a measure of a powerplant's ability to deliver force at speed. *that* will dictate how fast the car accelerates once it's going fast enough that the motor can no longer spin the tires. Using the data provided by Tesla and a bit of guesswork, we can have:

Roadster weight w/driver: 4000 lbs [guess]
0-60 mph: 1.9 secs [given from advert]
0-100 mph: 4.2 sec [ditto]
Kinetic Energy @ 60 MPH: 650K watt-seconds
Kinetic Energy @ 100 MPH: 1800K watt-seconds
Power delivered between 60 and 100 MPH: (1800K - 650K) / (4.2-1.9) = 1160 K / 2.3 = 504 kW or 670 HP at the tires.

Seems plausible. I'll be curious to see if they can hit their weight targets with the expanded battery pack, but the math otherwise checks out.

I'm less sure about the 1/4 mile ET quoted. The Roadster's spectacularly quick for a street car, but getting into the 8's is all about the 1/8th, and the quoted figures would be well behind my CobraJet (0-60 in 1.5, 0-100 in 3.2) and that car's "just" running 8.7s. So I bet when all's said and done, the Roadster runs mid/high 9.s. Which would be just fine with me :D

HEMI LOL

Twin Screwed
Established Member
im all for tesla. keep bulling cars, selling then lll snag a used P100D model S and replace my SRT jeep with it.

fast is fast, i suspect the answer is taking hybrid tech and going mclearn with it and using it only for going fast. this is why i see the hybrid mustang coming, and being great.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Remember, torque is just a measure of force. A gas-powered car could have 7368 ft. lb. of torque at the wheel with the proper gearing; that by itself doesn't make it fast.

Horsepower - or, equivalently, kW - is a measure of a powerplant's ability to deliver force at speed. *that* will dictate how fast the car accelerates once it's going fast enough that the motor can no longer spin the tires. Using the data provided by Tesla and a bit of guesswork, we can have:

Roadster weight w/driver: 4000 lbs [guess]
0-60 mph: 1.9 secs [given from advert]
0-100 mph: 4.2 sec [ditto]
Kinetic Energy @ 60 MPH: 650K watt-seconds
Kinetic Energy @ 100 MPH: 1800K watt-seconds
Power delivered between 60 and 100 MPH: (1800K - 650K) / (4.2-1.9) = 1160 K / 2.3 = 504 kW or 670 HP at the tires.

Seems plausible. I'll be curious to see if they can hit their weight targets with the expanded battery pack, but the math otherwise checks out.

I'm less sure about the 1/4 mile ET quoted. The Roadster's spectacularly quick for a street car, but getting into the 8's is all about the 1/8th, and the quoted figures would be well behind my CobraJet (0-60 in 1.5, 0-100 in 3.2) and that car's "just" running 8.7s. So I bet when all's said and done, the Roadster runs mid/high 9.s. Which would be just fine with me :D
Are you already in?

72SBC

Established Member
C “Where’s my 3?”

T “Look! 7000ft lbs of tq!!”

C “But I put 30k down on a 3 already”

T “0-60 in 1.9!”

C “My 3 was supposed to go 600 miles”

T “8.8 in the 1/4.....”

C “where is my 3 though?”

T “give us 100k to reserve now!”

C “ I’d love to see the 3 I ordered before you guys make this”

T “ WE ARE THE FUTURE! GIVE US MONEY PEASANT!”

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
C “Where’s my 3?”

T “Look! 7000ft lbs of tq!!”

C “But I put 30k down on a 3 already”

T “0-60 in 1.9!”

C “My 3 was supposed to go 600 miles”

T “8.8 in the 1/4.....”

C “where is my 3 though?”

T “give us 100k to reserve now!”

C “ I’d love to see the 3 I ordered before you guys make this”

T “ WE ARE THE FUTURE! GIVE US MONEY PEASANT!”
It looks like they opened production to the regular reservation holders (over the employee and family orders), which could potentially point to them getting over some of the teething issues.

Could you even put down $30k on one? I thought it was only $1k.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.

Users who are viewing this thread