Tesla Model 3

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
So, the basic renderings debut last night.

http://jalopnik.com/tesla-model-3-this-is-it-1768284734

I think it looks pretty good. Mix between the RX8 and the police car from the movie Demolition Man. 0-60 in less than 6 seconds for the base model at a starting price of $35,000. 215 mile range was quoted but a lot of the reviewers say that it could go higher. Its no Focus RS but it is very appealing as an alternative to the non performance versions of mid size sedans on the market right now(Fusion, BMW 3 series, Caddilac ATS).

Im still on the fence about electric cars. The performance is certainly there(Model S P85D in ludicrous mode) but what about the maintenance costs over time, especially with the battery packs and the long term effects on the environment due to manufacturing. I know Musk wants it to be 100% eco friendly but with the waste associated with batteries these days im baffled to think what will come out of the Giga Factory. They expect to ship 500,000 cars a year once the Giga Factory(battery production) is completed.

Will Tesla take over the world? Is this new model 3 a game changer? Will they build it all up only to come crashing down? What are everyone's thoughts?

Never_Enough

Established Member
I think it's ugly & that roof on a sunny summer day...oof! I'm just hoping the stock goes nuts so I can sell high.

hunterp

Established Member
The front end is fugly and I'm not a fan of having all controls and displays on a tablet that you have to look over at to read and manipulate.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
The front end is fugly and I'm not a fan of having all controls and displays on a tablet that you have to look over at to read and manipulate.

I was trying to figure out where the speedo was. I assumed a HUD of some sorts but they didnt specify.

I dont mind the tablet controls for radio, a/c and stuff. I have it in the Fiesta and my wife has it in her Edge and so far its been trouble free with the Sync version 2.

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
Cars ugly as hell, and the tablet is ridiculous. So much focus on distracted driving lately, but we're going to have people looking down trying to slide to their hvac settings, radio settings,etc. Not to mention dealing with glare.

The news interviewed a bunch of these mouth breathers going on about how it's perfect and so eco friendly. Didn't realize batteries grew on trees. Not to mention 215 miles is very limited, you can't even use it for a day trip out here to most of the other main cities.

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member
I love it. A friend put a deposit down already to reserve one. Other than exotics, what other manufacturer has that kind of buzz for a sub-$40k sedan?

I hope they sell well and I applaud Elon Musk for having the balls to take on the automotive industry.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
I love it. A friend put a deposit down already to reserve one. Other than exotics, what other manufacturer has that kind of buzz for a sub-$40k sedan?

I hope they sell well and I applaud Elon Musk for having the balls to take on the automotive industry.

He is right there teetering on being the next Apple. I hope they do become bigger as they seem to offer a great product but i dont think the impact of battery waste has been realized yet.

The fact that the Model S P85D can do 0-60 in 2.8s is incredible. Im hoping that they would be able to produce the smaller Model 3 with that kind of speed and it would be insane. Wonder if people will start swapping battery packs or motor into the smaller ones to make them faster.

low03tb

THUNDER UP!
Established Member
That interior looks ridiculous lol. I get having a large, high res screen...but that's just dumb. Half that size is plenty.

At least they're green though! bahaha

Coiled03

Established Member
Not feelin' it.

Has too much of a jellybean-on-wheels vibe for me.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Cars ugly as hell, and the tablet is ridiculous. So much focus on distracted driving lately, but we're going to have people looking down trying to slide to their hvac settings, radio settings,etc. Not to mention dealing with glare.

The news interviewed a bunch of these mouth breathers going on about how it's perfect and so eco friendly. Didn't realize batteries grew on trees. Not to mention 215 miles is very limited, you can't even use it for a day trip out here to most of the other main cities.

Isn't that a potential issue with any vehicle with a navigation screen? I agree it looks too big; and out of place like a Benz nav screen

Rios302

Established Member
I like the idea of having a car like the Model 3 as my daily driver and a Mustang for the weekend. 215 range is plenty to go everywhere all over California and a Vegas trip is no problem either.

SirShaun

Established Member
Not getting much for $35k. Probably one of the cheapest looking cars I've seen in awhile. Comes off as a designer brand to me, similar to douche bags paying way too much, standing in way too long of a line for an iphone.

Good for Elon though, for creating the demand.

Last edited:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Pretty sweet, Tesla Model S are just as abundant as prius here, so im sure ill see more of these on the road soon.

I think its a great idea. The only thing I wonder is how people in apartments will ever be able to use this technology? I dont think my complex would be too keen on me running a 300' extension cord to my stall.

Yeah, and all it took was crazy subsidies and incentives!

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
i heard you had to go log in to your facebook acct and go through 5 menus before you get to the Hvac controls. :poke:

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member
Yeah, and all it took was crazy subsidies and incentives!

Incentives for Tesla? Do you think there was no financial risk for them to do this? I think it's worthwhile to invest in alternative energy, even if the price per barrel is low (I know, I work in O&G and we are hurting). When oil rebounds at least the US won't be caught with their pants down like in the late 1990s when there was no development of EV or fuel efficient vehicles.

Users who are viewing this thread