Terrible Mileage, help please!

302'Stang

Established Member
I've just recently acquired an 88 Foxbody 302 and I averaged 12.8 MPG on the last tank. These cars should get like 16 city and 24 highway, so 20 average? I have been very heavy on that skinny pedal on the right side that make it go fast, but should it really be that bad?

It is burning a pretty rich and has an exhaust leak. I thought maybe a good dyno tune would improve the situation. And maybe a new cat back system. I've also been driving a lot of curvy country roads much more than highways.

PACOS50

Pacos50
Established Member
You've kind of answered your own question! Yes being heavy on the skinny pedal will make it that bad! Remember the "ratings" a vehicle gets are based on "normal driving" whatever that means to the manufacturer. I will tell you though that the exhaust leak depending on where it is, is compounding your problem. Mine had a leak right where the header (I have long tubes on mine) meets the head, and the gas mileage went down the drain as soon as it started. Once I replaced the gaskets it went back to it's normality. No offense though but why are you worried about gas mileage on a Mustang? If you're that worried about gas mileage, a Mustang, especially a Fox, is not the car to have. I don't mean to be rude or suggest that you should be stopping at every gas station and stuff to enjoy your car, I fixed mine not due to mileage but to the fact that I didn't want to mess anything up and I hated the noise!

To alleviate your problem though I would suggest that you fix the leak and get a tune up done on it, cap, rotor, wires, plugs, oil & filter, and the one everybody seems to neglect, the air filter. That should get your Pony running right again! Good luck!

302'Stang

Established Member
I have 3.73 gears!

Thanks for the advice, I guess I did answer it, but those were all my theories haha. I did lay off just a little and when I filled up today, I averaged 15.4 MPG. I'm not worried too much about the mileage obviously since I bought the car haha, but 12.8 MPG and 20 MPG is quite the difference at the pump. This is my only car! (once the other one sells) I do plan on getting the exhaust leak fixed, and I just cleaned out the air filter a few days ago. Everything else is all pretty new, too, so it's pretty much had a good tune up!

Users who are viewing this thread