Terrible experience with RXT need HELP

benulis55

Established Member
Hey all,

I replaced my clutch with a McLeod RXT twin disk last year. Was already 26 spline, but I replaced the pivot bearing, TOB, TOB sleeve, and added a new Fidanza aluminum flywheel

Intial install was fine, but pedal was releasing way HIGH. Like an idiot, I drove it like this for the 500 mile break in. The whole time it was releasing high and had lots of chatter. Once it was 500 miles in, I started beating on it. It still had chatter and was releasing high. After several attempts at adjusting it at the firewall and quandrant, I pulled the trans 2 times to get the clutch fork where it should be. Now it is setup correctly, release lower (could be a little lower but its mostly good) and heres what is happening now

With pedal released, I hear a rotating “clicking” that goes away when I tighten the cable or depress the pedal slightly. I think this is the TOB sleeve contacting the TOB – yes or no???

Second issue is it still has chatter. The clutch grabs great but its not enjoyable to drive due to the chatter

Before I pull everything apart, I need to have a plan. My question is: do you think the clutch is ruined. It saw quite a few burnouts in the current state.

OR, did I just ruin the flywheel?? How do I tell if the clutch and/or flywheel are ruined??

Any suggestions ( I am guessing it will be “do it right next time, and replace EVERYTHING again”

Thanks for your help

JDUB348

Established Member
I just installed my RXT a few months back and i get a little bit of chatter if i try to let the clutch out a little to slowly with zero gas.. other then that i can't complain.. if that compares to your chatter

I believe these performance clutches are known to chatter a little?

JrSVT

Established Member
I have had zero chatter since day one of installation. I have about 600 miles on it now, still no chatter. I believe what you are hearing is the TOB touching the pressure plate fingers. If you take the inspection cover off and shine a light up into the hole, you should see the clutch fork, pressure plate and the TOB. There should be about 1/8th of an inch between the TOB and the pressure plate to keep the TOB from spinning constantly.

As far as the chatter situation goes, I have the McLeod fly wheel and not the Fidanza. I'm not sure if that would make a difference or not...just throwing that out there.

Jr.

rattle_snake

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Established Member
The Ford TOB was designed to contact the PP fingers at all times, and if you had it set up this way the pedal release will have to be at the very top. This should not have caused any problems. Other run a gap between the fingers and TOB, your choice.

It is a good idea to have a plan, however I think you need to pull the clutch and inspect it and the flywheel to determine the next step. McCloud can rebuild the RTX if it is f'd up. Call McCloud and talk to them.

Im 250 miles into mine, chatter is lessening, and has only been present at the last bit of travel. I can get car moving without any throttle with no chatter. good luck

JrSVT

Established Member
The Ford TOB was designed to contact the PP fingers at all times, and if you had it set up this way the pedal release will have to be at the very top. This should not have caused any problems. Other run a gap between the fingers and TOB, your choice.

It is a good idea to have a plan, however I think you need to pull the clutch and inspect it and the flywheel to determine the next step. McCloud can rebuild the RTX if it is f'd up. Call McCloud and talk to them.

Im 250 miles into mine, chatter is lessening, and has only been present at the last bit of travel. I can get car moving without any throttle with no chatter. good luck

Ford designed it that way, yes, but it doesn't mean it is the best/correct way. With the heat that is generated in the transmission and the constant spinning of the TOB the only thing it does is heat up the grease in the TOB and throw it out causing premature failure. Mine was set up like this when I bought the car and wouldn't you know it failed within months of me purchasing the car.

No worries though, it was a perfect time to upgrade to a new stock cable, firewall adjuster, clutch quadrant and LDC free play mod. While I had the transmission out I decided to replace the clutch also.....when something breaks, build it bigger better and stronger.

Jr.

Users who are viewing this thread