Terminators and Car Stuff in Charlotte NC

351stang

Beast ZL1
Established Member
Hey SVT'ers,

I just moved from Dallas to Charlotte for work. Besides the Nascar hall of fame, can someone give me the low down on local drag strips and car gatherings in the area?

McQu33n

I think there is one in Morrisville and one in Shelby, outside of Charlotte.

Unrelated but the GoPro Motorplex is in Morrisville too; they're getting a new fleet of karts there in July. Supposedly NASCAR drivers go there.

Last edited:

351stang

Beast ZL1
Established Member
Anyone know if the 4 lane dragstrip at Charlotte Motor speedway allows test and tunes?

https://www.facebook.com/zmaxdragway/

Shadyside is pretty far. The other one doesn't appear to exist. Driving 1.5 hours for 1/8th mile blows donkeys. Thanks for the tips though!

It seems like drag strips are disappearing........sad.

Last edited:

GodStang

Established Member
Ya some of our guys go up to Zmax for runs. Mustang week at the beginning of fall in Myrtle Beach.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I think there is one in Morrisville and one in Shelby, outside of Charlotte.

Unrelated but the GoPro Motorplex is in Morrisville too; they're getting a new fleet of karts there in July. Supposedly NASCAR drivers go there.

It's Mooresville, not Morrisville. And Shelby is waaaaaaay outside of Charlotte! LOL

There's a big car meet in downtown Mooresville the first Saturday morning of every month. Besides ZMax, Charlotte Motor Speedway has driving events held there. Good luck finding a schedule for them. Every time I see it going on, it's by accident. There's a big auto fair at the track every Spring and Fall. There's also a dragstrip somewhere in Mooresville. There are professional race teams out the wazzu around here ranging from NHRA to Le Mans. Underground Racing is based here. Pro Dyno is down in Rock Hill (or Ft. Mill), SC. Kooks Exhaust is up in Statesville. Whatever kind of automotive niche you want to be in, you can find some of it in the Charlotte area. You can basically just go for a drive on the weekends and fall-in with some car club or another or just a group of guys out driving. You're just a couple of hours away from the mountains. Some excellent roads up there, if you like curves. Just avoid the Blue Ridge Parkway, if you're looking to have "fun." There's always slowpokes on it. The roads adjacent and crossing over the parkway are way better, anyway.

Welcome to Charlotte!

SHOdown220

Established Member
Moorseville has test and tune every Thursday night, and it's not too far from Charlotte. As previously stated mustang week myrtle beach in July is a great week long event that's full of mustang and good times, would recommend going one year.

BenM

Mooresville Dragway recently reopened and it is about 30 minutes from Charlotte. It's an 1/8 mile track and they do test and tune every Thursday night from 6 to 11. They also have events and and more testing on some Saturdays. Check out their Facebook page for more info.

RK Motors in Charlotte also puts on a pretty good meet once a month, as well as Waterbean Coffee in Cornelius. Again, check out their Facebook pages.

If you don't mind a younger crowd, there is a big weekly meet at UNCC. Check out Charlotte Motorists Club on Facebook.

Welcome to the area!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

351stang

Beast ZL1
Established Member
Thanks for the corrections and info. I didn't know about Mustang Week, so that is great. If someone has any tips on Test and Tune schedules at Zmax, that would be awesome.

351stang

Beast ZL1
Established Member
Anyone know about Vehicle inspection rules for a 2004 Cobra (legal) and a 1993 mustang with a big cam 351W, no cats, and exhaust dumps? I was about to hit the sunset 25 years on the 93 in Texas and avoid emission testing.

Blackoyote

Established Member
Anyone know about Vehicle inspection rules for a 2004 Cobra (legal) and a 1993 mustang with a big cam 351W, no cats, and exhaust dumps? I was about to hit the sunset 25 years on the 93 in Texas and avoid emission testing.

On the Cobra, your check engine light can't be on, and they're SUPPOSED to do a visual for cats/mufflers - find a shop that may forget to check the latter.

With the 93 being an OBDI car it'll be a safety inspection only, however they also are supposed to visually verify that original emissions components are in place (again, find a place that forgets to do this).

getTwisted

I Remember My First Beer.
Established Member
Theres a Mustang Museum opening up next year in Concord. I think they will be holding some events there.

And yes Mustang Week, do it!

NC STANG GUY

03 gone but not forgotten
Established Member
Zmax doesn't run normal test and tunes. If it doesn't make Bruton Smith a ton of money he doesn't much care to open the track. What a waste to have a track that nice so close and hardly ever open for the average guy... Not that they seemed to know how to prep it when it was open a few times in the past.
There are a few drag racing events there like the Street Car Takeover coming up June 24th.
They also do have a lot of autocross events at Zmax in the large pit area. Pretty large courses for an autocross too.

Like mentioned there is Rockingham Dragway thats not horrible far away and also Darlington,SC that are both 1/4 mile tracks. There is also Pageland dragway(1/8) just south of Monroe in the edge of SC.

Cars and Coffee is the first Saturday of the month(coming up June 3rd) at 1720 Galleria Blvd Charlotte, Nc 28270 · Charlotte, NC
Usually a pretty good turnout.

Blackoyote

Established Member
Cars and Coffee is the first Saturday of the month(coming up June 3rd) at 1720 Galleria Blvd Charlotte, Nc 28270 · Charlotte, NC
Usually a pretty good turnout.

It's been removed from that spot due to idiots doing burnouts and such...no new spot has been determined as of yet.

Users who are viewing this thread