Terminator vs SS??

QuikGT

Banned
Okay guys in the next 2-3 months i will be getting a new car...Either a 03-04 cobra or an 02 ss....Im just wanting to know why modded cobras with similar hp will trap higher but times are slower??? cant be the weight diff can it?? For example...my friend has an ls1 pushing 480rwhp...he runs 7.10s all day at 94 mph (he has never trapped higher than 94).....most cobras ive seen with similar hp run 7.5-7.7s at 94+...What would it take to get the similar et?? solid axle swap?? weight reduction???

Steeltwo

Established Member
QuikGT said:
Okay guys in the next 2-3 months i will be getting a new car...Either a 03-04 cobra or an 02 ss....Im just wanting to know why modded cobras with similar hp will trap higher but times are slower??? cant be the weight diff can it?? For example...my friend has an ls1 pushing 480rwhp...he runs 7.10s all day at 94 mph (he has never trapped higher than 94).....most cobras ive seen with similar hp run 7.5-7.7s at 94+...What would it take to get the similar et?? solid axle swap?? weight reduction???

the cobra is heavier and has a IRS.

QuikGT

Banned
i know but that doesnt really explain why they trap higher....the irs is to blame for poor launch but weight diff would make them trap lower....just asking cuz my friend Nickcz28 at ls1 tech is giving me a hard time saying it would take at least a kb cobra pushing at least 600rwhp to keep up with him...

Steeltwo

Established Member
QuikGT said:
i know but that doesnt really explain why they trap higher....the irs is to blame for poor launch but weight diff would make them trap lower....just asking cuz my friend Nickcz28 at ls1 tech is giving me a hard time saying it would take at least a kb cobra pushing at least 600rwhp to keep up with him...
the power curve of a stock eaton blower at 480hp vs the ls1 with a cam making 480 will be quite a bit different.

once the better torque curve gets transferred to the pavement, weight becomes less important.

so the answer to your question

superior torque curve

Crowley

Okey doke
Established Member
I have owned both .. an 01 ss and now the 04 cobra. I will say it will be easier to achieve higher HP with the Cobra and probably not loose any drivability (And will most likely cost less to do it). It is a bit heavier though by a couple of 100 lbs.

Both cars are nice and if I were you, I'd go on looks. What do you like most about both and decide on that.

If your friend on ls1tech has the 480rwhp SS and he says a 600rwhp cobra is needed to keep up with him, I think he may have some good driving skills. Personally having owned both, I don't think you would need that much more HP in the cobra. Again .. I don't know the weight of your friends car .. less weight can make a big difference ..

Just my 2 cents.

Crowley

Fiveoh93Snake

Snake Bitten!
Established Member
Sorry but think I'm gonna have to call :bs: . A 525HP Cobra vs. a 480HP SS would without a doubt be a very tight race both having good drivers. But a 600HP KB Cobra is gonna walk a 480HP SS without much of a problem from a standstill; from a roll the SS would be raped. :coolman:

QuikGT

Banned
Steeltwo said:
the power curve of a stock eaton blower at 480hp vs the ls1 with a cam making 480 will be quite a bit different.

once the better torque curve gets transferred to the pavement, weight becomes less important.

so the answer to your question

superior torque curve

ahhh..didnt think of that ...makes sense now...hard to believe it would make that big of a difference tho...so now im torn between taking the better looking car (cobra) or the one with more potential with minimal mods..

capnkirk52

Eat more POTATOES!!!
Established Member
just get a cobra, all the supporting mods for the eaton and the driver mod... sounds like he is a decent driver.

QuikGT

Banned
yea he is a pretty good driver...i just wanna be able to compete....what is it that weighs down the cobra so much in the models 03-04?? i know the 01s weigh a tad over 3300....but specs show the cobra at 3650...

DKS2814V

Moderately Modified
Established Member
You'll compete no problem with about 75% less spent on the Cobra....

I am at 500rwhp, and spent $1100 on the car. You'll have no issues waxing his ass from a roll, and if you can drive the car, you'll have no issues either. Sticky tires and a lead foot!

QuikGT

Banned
im a good driver...i just dread that ls1 3rd gear pull....what about some mid range cams to equal out the torque curve in the low rpms?? would it be worth the money...ive heard upgrading cams in cobras wont yield high numbers on the dyno.

Users who are viewing this thread