Terminator vs cones - my first autocross

speedoflife

Established Member
So I finally got to get my car off of the streets and onto the "track." I haven't driven on any track before, I haven't drag raced (legally...), and I haven't autocrossed before.

I had SUCH A GOOD TIME.

Seriously though, I might as well have drawn autocross into a syringe and injected it. If you ever have the chance, please do yourself a favor and take your car out.
We ran a short course (40-60 second lap) that allowed speeds up to about 70mph. Temperature was in the 60s-70s all day, the sky was clear, and everyone had a good time. I ate a few cones on one run (everyone got 8 laps in total) and did a little accidental drifting another lap, but otherwise I feel that this was a great chance to test out some driving skills.

I also met a gentleman with a silver '03 Cobra. It has 5000 miles on it (!) and he just took it to his first autocross ever(he turned 50 this year). What a beautiful car - he bought it with 2k miles on it and decided that he wanted to actually drive it. There were some other neat cars there, but that super clean Cobra was my favorite of the day.

I know it's lame that I don't have any pictures, but I just wanted to share my experience and express how much fun autocross was, even with my (relatively) heavy, overpowered vehicle. Sorry to all you out there who have a winter!!!

There's a national autocross event in late March at the same location.

https://www.scca.com/articles/2005322-2017-tire-rack-college-station-championship-tour-5togo

I'd love to meet anyone that is able to come to that event! I definitely can't afford it, but I think I'll still go out!

We are having another autocross tomorrow, and I promise I'll get a video of me running a lap (hopefully cone-free) and some pictures. Why didn't I learn about this sooner?!?

josephcostello

Established Member
Auto crossing is a ton of fun. I autocrossed mine and it did ok but it definitely felt front heavy. Then I took my dad's '15 GT PP and it was night and day difference.

gaspasr

Established Member
I went over to check out a few minutes ago. I was in a time crunch and stayed for just a few minutes. Lookes like a lot of fun. I will definitely need to try that some day.

speedoflife

Established Member
I went over to check out a few minutes ago. I was in a time crunch and stayed for just a few minutes. Lookes like a lot of fun. I will definitely need to try that some day.
I didn't know you came out! There's another one in April - you should try to make it out if you can.
I attached a video of my second run. I need new front tires badly. Really badly. They limit me quite a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread