Terminator or Mach 1

Ryan2KRedL

SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
I currently own both an 03 Mach 1 and an 03 Terminator.
I love them both and they each have unique characteristics.

The Mach has great appeal, but need more go-fast under the hood.
I rectified this by swapping in a complete low-mile 04 terminator drivetrain (engine, T56, and IRS) with a Kennebell 2.6 on E85.
Now it makes around 700rwhp and runs as good as it looks.

The Terminator has the standard VMP supercharger upgrade on E85 making over 700rwhp and so far has run in the 10's with the IRS before snapping the 1/2 shaft.

Mach%20and%20Cobra_zpstqxvy1d1.jpg

Mach%20and%20Cobra_zpsh3ndccwv.jpg

Ryan

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
Pretty simple....The 03/04 Mach Motors have a forged crank on the 5 Speed cars vs cast crank on the 99/01 Cobra, Mach 1's have higher compression over the 99/01 Cobra (10:1 vs 9.85:1), they have the revised higher flowing 4V heads (same heads as 03-04 Cobra), and also the revised intake cams for better low end torque (again same as 03-04 Cobra)...yes the Mach is rated at 305HP vs 320HP for the 99/01 but thats all advertising, same driver the Mach should slightly pull any 99/01 every time, also the Mach already comes with the straight axle vs the IRS for the 99/01 which saves weight and is already better suited for drag racing....

There's some misinformation in here. The Cobra's have forged cranks. Auto Mach's do not. The "revised" intake cams are the same cam used in every other 4v car and worse than the 99-01 Cams. Their power comes from the better heads/intake (slightly) helping their power band and their solid rear.

Secondly, the teksid made it into several 99 Cobra motors but was changed mid year to the first "WAP" block not to be confused with the Nemak "WAP" block used in 3v's and aluminators.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I'm the original owner of my 01 and it has a Teskid block. Many do. Not sure about the Machs.

I had a very early 01, like #300 something, it had a Teskid too. I am guessing Ford used up what they had left. I dropped that car like a hot potato when the 03 cobras showed up.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I guess i was partly wrong. Ford must of had some left over teskid that made it in 99/01 cobras along with some wap blocks

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
didn't 99 production get cut short do to the hp debacle? Thinking it was simply that, leftover teskids.
Several 01 Cobra's actually have shortblocks that were sourced in 99. Thus why they stopped making the teksid in 99 but a few 01's have them. The 99 was cut short due to the HP issue. Leftover parts were used on the early 2001's.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
didn't 99 production get cut short do to the hp debacle? Thinking it was simply that, leftover teskids.
Yup you are right. Thats why there wasnt a 2000 cobra and just a cobra R. Doing some research in 99(last year of production of teskid blocks)ford made some changes to the last run of teskid blocks which made them slightly different than pre 99 blocks. Not sure how many were made before the WAP started production.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I've owned a few Mach 1's, which I loved but never a Termi... with that being said I'd take a Termi over a Mach everyday. Now a tougher decision for me would be a Termi or a Boss, I would probably have to go with the Boss but that's just from my love of the coyotes and NA.
Too many "termis" in this paragraph. Ban....

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
Teskid/ WAP. show me WAP failures percentages vs Teskid. Blocks are seldom the issue in any case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree the WAP gets a bad WRAP (haahahaha). But the teksid is clearly a stronger block. The failures don't typically occur until the 1000+ level which is still incredibly impressive for a stock block. The Nemak WAP is stronger than the WAP, but it still has some cylinder strength issues above 1krwhp as well. The teksid still remains the standard for strength in a stock block though it matters very little to 99.9 percent of cars being built as they don't need the added strength.

BladeX10

Established Member
Up until a few years ago, When you could still find 50-70k mile Terminators regularly for $16-18k, I'd say Terminator any day of the week and twice on sunday and i still say that but Terminators have hit a patch now where all the nice ones are being kept/stored away and all the beaters are beating tossed around with crazy prices.

Meanwhile you can find nice low mileage unmolested Mach 1's for $10k-$12k, Its starting to be a solid option from a buyers standpoint.

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
Up until a few years ago, When you could still find 50-70k mile Terminators regularly for $16-18k, I'd say Terminator any day of the week and twice on sunday and i still say that but Terminators have hit a patch now where all the nice ones are being kept/stored away and all the beaters are beating tossed around with crazy prices.

Meanwhile you can find nice low mileage unmolested Mach 1's for $10k-$12k, Its starting to be a solid option from a buyers standpoint.
Where are these low mile unmolested Mach 1's for 10-12k? I'm not finding any.

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
IMG_0234.JPG

The Mach 1 isn't a Terminator, it's not a Shelby, but IMO it does a fine job being what it is, a Mach 1.. And I really like mine.
Fits like a glove. It's also my slowest car. But the fun to drive factor? It ranks in the top.

Last edited:

xsellr8

BANNED
Established Member
I would have liked a Terminator, but really loved my Mach1. Put a KB 2.1L on it and it was a blast to drive - really miss it....View attachment 1464625 View attachment 1464626

I was almost about to buy one of those kits before I got the terminator. I got a little depressed that where that kit would max my mach 1 would be about where a terminator was just getting started. Glad I still have both cars

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

xsellr8

BANNED
Established Member
Though these cars are very different in base performance, they have similar potential with difference in price that can be put towards mods if you’re building both. I still chose buying a cobra over building my mach 1 since the cobra would be worth more when all was said and done

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Users who are viewing this thread