Terminator Locking Lug Nut Stripped

1SCOOT

Established Member
Anyone had to have a stripped locking lug nut removed off their Cobra? Or any other vehicle for that matter I guess :shrug:

Turns out the last shop impacted the lugs on so tight that I can't get the locking lug off without sheering the inside of the key. I was just wondering what the procedure is for removing those things locally or at a dealer :dw:

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
just take it to a discount tire. They will remove all of your locking lugnuts, and give you new ones with key for ~$20. Same thing happened to me.

sawman70

Something Witty!
Established Member
Summit Racing sells a pair of Locking Lug Nut sockets to remove them.

I think it is like 20 or $25.00. They are left hand threaded easy out/off type sockets for a 1/2 inch drive ratchet.

Pound it on then remove.

Makes locking lug nuts seem so very pointless........ :rollseyes

acatalon

Established Member
Find a multi point socket that fits tight on the locking lug hammer it on and use the socket wrench to remove it....might want to buy a cheap socket for this job as u will probably ruin the socket but it worked for me.

MikeW

Established Member
Autozone and other stores sell a socket that will take it off but it will mess up the stock lug real bad. I had aftermarket wheels and the socket would not fit in the lug hole so I had to order a new key from the company that sells them to ford... McGriff or somethig like that. New lug and key from them was 14-15 bucks.

Good Luck

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
Drive to Sears.
Purchase appropriate size Craftsman socket.
Hammer it on and remove the lug.
Exchange broken socket for new one.

Users who are viewing this thread