Terminator ic pump gt500

Ea Ruiz

Established Member
Hey guys, i know the 07-12 gt500 pump works on the terminator, i haven’t seen many people running the 13/14. Does anyone have actual pictures, or info? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
I'm running it. Well, technically the BMW one. Same CWA50 pump as the GT500 but with PWM functionality. You can check one of my previous posts. You can mount it where the Bosch pump goes, but you'll need to fabricate a new bracket due to the difference in diameter. You'll need a new pigtail, which I think I called out in the post. I also recommend using one of the BMW fittings for the inlet. It's a weird quick connect type. You could just put a hose on and clamp it, but I actually really like the convenience of the BMW and how secure it is.

Honestly it's an amazing mod. It cost the same as a Bosch pump, it's dramatically quieter, and it flows so much more.

Big watch out: The increased flow is actually a double edged sword. You'll need to replace the stock reservoir, because with the flow rate of the 13/14 pump and that tiny little reservoir, it will aerate the crap out of the coolant. Next time you go to fire it up, it will be airlocked. I ran into this when I went to temporarily rig up the stock one because my other one was leaking. Either a better designed one with baffling or just straight up more volume will resolve that issue.

Currently I've moved mine to the trunk with a 2.5 gallon reservoir. Works great, and I'm impressed how much it still pushes.

Ea Ruiz

Established Member
I'm running it. Well, technically the BMW one. Same CWA50 pump as the GT500 but with PWM functionality. You can check one of my previous posts. You can mount it where the Bosch pump goes, but you'll need to fabricate a new bracket due to the difference in diameter. You'll need a new pigtail, which I think I called out in the post. I also recommend using one of the BMW fittings for the inlet. It's a weird quick connect type. You could just put a hose on and clamp it, but I actually really like the convenience of the BMW and how secure it is.

Honestly it's an amazing mod. It cost the same as a Bosch pump, it's dramatically quieter, and it flows so much more.

Big watch out: The increased flow is actually a double edged sword. You'll need to replace the stock reservoir, because with the flow rate of the 13/14 pump and that tiny little reservoir, it will aerate the crap out of the coolant. Next time you go to fire it up, it will be airlocked. I ran into this when I went to temporarily rig up the stock one because my other one was leaking. Either a better designed one with baffling or just straight up more volume will resolve that issue.

Currently I've moved mine to the trunk with a 2.5 gallon reservoir. Works great, and I'm impressed how much it still pushes.

Thank you for the information, I’m trying to look for your post about it. Can’t find it. I’m definitely excited to start getting that part. Seems like it’s also a lot cheaper getting the BMW pump. Are you able to provide me with that thread? I really want to get these parts,but also to be sure everything works and fits well.
Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Stangra

Established Member

I think there's supposed to be a bypass line that directs most of the flow around (in parallel with) the reservoir & a restrictor in line with it to slow the flow through the tank. When I installed mine I just ran a parallel bypass without any inline restrictor and it allows plenty of flow through the intercooler without any turbulence in the stock tank. I just set it up where my 90 degree fittings were in the tank circuit and the bypass flows straight through.

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
That's certainly a possibility. After all, that's how your average engine cooling system is designed (like the engine coolant surge tank in these cars). It's just a matter of more packaging. It's really the only option with the stock plastic tank, but it leaves some on the table compared to a full flow bigger and/or aluminum tank. Personally my thought is if I'm pushing more flow, I might as well take advantage of it with more volume as well.

I think there's also some BMW, Ford, and Subaru tanks available that have more of that design where the flow passes across the bottom rather than cascading through the tank.

94 Cobra R

Same Ol Same Ol
Established Member
That's certainly a possibility. After all, that's how your average engine cooling system is designed (like the engine coolant surge tank in these cars). It's just a matter of more packaging. It's really the only option with the stock plastic tank, but it leaves some on the table compared to a full flow bigger and/or aluminum tank. Personally my thought is if I'm pushing more flow, I might as well take advantage of it with more volume as well.

I think there's also some BMW, Ford, and Subaru tanks available that have more of that design where the flow passes across the bottom rather than cascading through the tank.

Did you notice any difference with your IAT2?

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
Unfortunately I don't have a good like for like comparison. I didn't get as much time pulling full power with the new pump and fender mounted reservoir, but what little data I had stayed much cooler.

With the trunk mount and new pump though, it's a massive difference so far.

Users who are viewing this thread