Terminator Cobra/New Shelby verses 87 GN

The BigSHO

Established Member
I'm thinking about getting a Terminator Cobra or new Shelby down the road. I know the Shelby isn't here yet...

Anyway, what kind of mods on a Terminator Cobra would I need to beat my son's mid 10 second/~130 mph GN?

I really like the Terminator Cobras but I'm not sure I could drive a modded one good enough to beat my son. I've watched another guy my size drive one at the track and he has difficulty. We're both ~6'5" and ~250 lbs. He has a size 14 shoe, I have a 15. He hits the brake pedal every once in a while while racing. Even with the seat all the way back and leaned back, the Terminator is a tight fit. It looks like Ford designed them for a 5'10" 175 lb guy.

I will need my "A" game to beat my son and his GN.

I've heard the new Mustangs are bigger inside. That would be a plus for me for sure. The new Shelby concept sure looks sweet and should be closer stock to beating my kid than the Terminator.

My son and I have a rivalry going. His daily driver is 2000 CSVT. Mine is a 1992 Taurus SHO. We paired them up at the track a few years ago. His car won three out of five. But I won three out of five. Two in my SHO and one in his CSVT. All were close races. If he had been use to the SHO, he would've won three out of five. CSVTs have light clutch, sweet shifter, and European (BMW) feel. The SHO has heavier clutch, notchier shifter, American Muscle Car feel. He had never driven the SHO. I was use to the CSVT.

I would love to beat him in his GN. Although I give credit where credit is due. It won't be easy or cheap beating him. His car is formidible...

Last edited:

DET_SVT02

Established Member
a mid 10 sec GN....at the very least a KB at high psi and slicks most kb cobras are running high tens.

soccer8888

Tech. Noob
Established Member
yeah, you're gonna have to mod alot to make mid 10's...

KB, BAP, Injectors, pulley, tune, chip, CAI, exhaust, DR's, probably upgrade the fuel lines, a solid axle would help alot, halfshaft also...

it can be done, but thats alot of $$, but when all said and done...look out!

BBQLS1

Established Member
You will need chassis work too. And tires. Mid tens are pretty fast. Get you shit straight or you will end up in the wall.

vtechthis03

Established Member
3.0" upper-4 pound lower-ported blower-shifter-CAI(jlt or k&n)-mid pipe-cat back-75 shot-good tune-some nittos-last but not least DRIVER MOD= 10's easy

thenoz

SHUT THE F*CK UP CHARLES
Established Member
TURBO IT! twin or single turbos well tuned should easily get you 10's.

MystiChrome04

Established Member
normal bolt-ons (ie catback,H-pipe,CAI,HE) ported eaton, 2.80 upper, 4lb lower, a kick ass tune,100 shot and some halfshafts and other little suspension mods and you should be in the mid 10's easy!!! You'd end up spending around $3500 or so in mods but would be a very consistantly running mid 10's maybe lower on slicks with good traction!!

Last edited:

The BigSHO

Established Member
Neither of us will do NOS...

Does the Cobra respond to octane like the GN does? I'm not sure what his car would run with race gas instead of pump gas and octane booster.

How about alcohol injection? He is upgrading to a dual pumper/dual injector alcohol system. His car will only be quicker.

For what it worth, he fears modded Terminator Cobras more than all. :thumbsup:

WDW MKR

Established Member
The BigSHO said:
Neither of us will do NOS...

Does the Cobra respond to octane like the GN does? I'm not sure what his car would run with race gas instead of pump gas and octane booster.

How about alcohol injection? He is upgrading to a dual pumper/dual injector alcohol system. His car will only be quicker.

For what it worth, he fears modded Terminator Cobras more than all. :thumbsup:

Mid-10s@130 with pump gas and octane booster? :dw: The car would have to be running at least heads and cam, if not a Stage motor, to run those numbers without extreme boost and octane. GNs can pull wicked short times with the proper chassis and transmission mods, but that MPH shows serious power in a 3500lb+ car. If he can really run those times on pump gas and octane booster (which doesn't do much), that's an easy 9-sec car on race gas or a proper alky setup.

The BigSHO

Established Member
He's got heads and cam. Its girdled , balanced, and blue printed. Ported headers, larger down pipe, and powder coated everything. More mods, I forget.

Its bad ___. A serious machine for sure. It lifts the front wheels 6-12" for at least 100'. He is redoing his air bags to try and keep the nose down...

04Chris

Chicane straightner
Established Member
Strictly Performance has a car that runs 9's with the 6-speed and irs. To get the times you want you don't need all the mods they have, but if anyone would know what it takes to get a certain timeslip, they would.

Duende

Thomas @ AppOSL.com
Established Member
If having large feet is often a problem in a vehicle for you, something else you might consider is a pedal relocation kit or getting something custom done to space 'em out. The few people I know who have used them or done it have all thought they were great, worthwhile mods.

WDW MKR

Established Member
The BigSHO said:
He's got heads and cam. Its girdled , balanced, and blue printed. Ported headers, larger down pipe, and powder coated everything. More mods, I forget.

Its bad ___. A serious machine for sure. It lifts the front wheels 6-12" for at least 100'. He is redoing his air bags to try and keep the nose down...

Sounds like a mean machine! Since it's girdled, I'm assuming it's still a 109 block w/ better internals? Is he running GN1 heads? What size/type of cam? If he goes with a quality dual nozzle alky kit (Joe Tripodi, Razor, SMC, etc.), then he'll have a solid 9sec car on tire. That's no easy feat for any car, so be prepared to get that wallet out!! :beer:

And to answer your question about repsonse to octane... no, the Cobras don't react the same way. A high-boost and/or N2O Terminator should certainly use race fuel to provide a safety margin and allow for a hotter tune. However, it's not quite the dual personality of the Turbo Buicks that gives a low-12 sec pump gas car the ability to run 10s w/ a twist of the wastegate. The Cobras can benefit quite well from additional octane or alky injection. There just isn't quite as big of a gap between the pump/race gas numbers due to more cubes and (2) extra cylinders requiring less boost and timing. A lot of Buicks run close to 30psi and 25+ degrees of timing, which is why they require so much octane to make the power w/out blowing up. You'll be hard pressed to find that amount of boost and timing with a Cobra.

Last edited:

Stormsigma

Went from 6.0 to 5.0!
Established Member
The good news is after you get your Cobra to tens, it won't be a one-trick pony like the GN. Not only will your Snake roar in a straight line, it'll be able to handle as well.

Users who are viewing this thread