Terminator cobra irs into wagon fox body

nelzsvt

Established Member
I picked up a cobra irs out of an 04. For those of you that have done this swap, I have a couple of questions. How did you accommodate the frame rail brackets without crushing the frame rail. Did the rear sit higher after install? If the answer is yes to that one, it would be a plus because I'm gonna have wagon weight over that rear. Where does the hard brake line have to be in relation to the driveshaft tunnel? Currently the brake line fitting for the sra is offset to the passenger side. Did you drill for bigger bolts or buy maximum motorsports bushing for smaller bolts? Driveshaft? That one might be tough because most of you are mustangs. This rear is being installed in a 1985 Ford LTD Squire station wagon.

wheelhopper

Established Member
I had steel sleeves cut from a machine shop. You have to get a measurement, but they are around 5" long. Then I got the bolts and washers and nuts for it from Fastenal. The rear pretty much sat like a normal Mustang. Height is determined by the springs. I have a set of H&R Race for sale for the IRS, it just so happens. Brake lines were handled with some off the shelf, pre flared, lines from NAPA. Basically bent as needed. I used the Ford Racing Aluminum driveshaft for the fox body and had no issues.

nelzsvt

Established Member
I had steel sleeves cut from a machine shop. You have to get a measurement, but they are around 5" long. Then I got the bolts and washers and nuts for it from Fastenal. The rear pretty much sat like a normal Mustang. Height is determined by the springs. I have a set of H&R Race for sale for the IRS, it just so happens. Brake lines were handled with some off the shelf, pre flared, lines from NAPA. Basically bent as needed. I used the Ford Racing Aluminum driveshaft for the fox body and had no issues.

Hey, thanks for that info! Did you convert a mustang? That driveshaft might be too short for my ltd.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Yeah he converted a 90GT. But I think you can probably assume that if you install the IRS properly, your stock driveshaft will work also.

nelzsvt

Established Member
Nope. Stock driveshaft is too long and mustang driveshaft is too short. It's because of the c5 to tremec part of the swap. Ford Explorer 2wd driveshaft is perfect and aluminum.

nelzsvt

Established Member
Okay, I just drove 3 hours each way to buy a driveshaft out of a 2wd ford explorer. It's out of a 2000 Eddie Bauer edition. It measures 50 3/4 inches c-c. It bolts directly to the flange of the cobra irs. Now my problem is the spline count on the slip yoke, or trans yoke. I'm going to need a yoke that matches the splines of tremec and the u-joint of the explorer driveshaft. I don't want to use that combo u-joint. What vehicle uses the the bigger u-joint and the 28 (I think) splines of a t5/tremec?

nelzsvt

Established Member
Well, the dealership was no help at all regarding which trans slip yoke I need. I even brought both driveshafts to the parts counter. So it was off to the Internet! I believe I have my answer. Crown Vic! Apparently these cars have aluminum driveshafts and aods. Not sure about what year to lick up. Also interceptor cars do not have damper whereas civilian cars do. I think my u joint is 1330 and spline count is 28. If you know the exact answer to this, please post up. Thanks!

wheelhopper

Established Member
If that does not work why not talk to the Driveshaft Shop and have them build you what you need. Sometimes you need to get a few custom parts for a project like yours. You can't do everything on the cheap.

nelzsvt

Established Member
Update! Bought the yoke I needed but the driveshaft is still too long. Even though the differential won't be moving up and down with the cobra irs there has to be some room between trans and driveshaft, and I don't have enough!

SVTORANGE

Established Member
Sounds like a very cool build I too have done the swap but only in a fox body hatch and notch.

nelzsvt

Established Member
Thanks! I think I am at that point where I think I have a craigslist problem. Not only do I buy something it seems every week but I am apparently willing to travel distances to purchase parts for this car!

Users who are viewing this thread