Terminator CabinTechnology Upgrade

WheelStander

Ford Plastics Engineer
Established Member
https://youtu.be/5HbOkSaRyfA
I thought I'd take some time and leverage my computer science and engineering degree upgrade my cabin technology in my Terminator Cobra to exceed most technology rolling off the 2015 lines. I ended up with a fully functioning HDMI (resolution and sound) Linux/Android operating system on my head unit controlled by voice or touch. When my phone is in the car my phone is mirrored to the head unit giving me all the functionality of my LG g3 phone on my head unit.
I wrote a custom 'SvtMasterMonitor' in Visual C and then ported that code to dashCommand which I'm using as my middleware to communicate with my odb2 which communicates with my PCM.
I also tried to port the code over to Torque but the my algorithms didn't want to work properly in that app.
All 'SvtMasterMonitor' numbers are SAE corrected and have been almost identical numbers on two different dyno pulls(ProDyno and Fastlane) at two different boost levels in similar weather conditions.
Hardware
Pioneer AppRadio 3 model da210
Linux Android Stick 4.2.3 for when my phone is not around for some reason
LG G3 Red Hat Linux with Rooted 4.2.3 Android overlay - my phone
ScreenBeam Mini2
Odb2 MX Dongle
Software
Titan Miracast for wireless mirror of my phone to the Screenbeam mini, which is plugged into the hdmi port on the HU
AppRadio Unchained to allow full touch on the HU
SvtMasterMonitor Gui - written and developed by me
DashCommand to serve up the SvtMasterMonitor Gui and connect to the odb2 dongle
Utter! Voice Control
More to come this is just a sneak peek of what I've done so far... but you get the idea with full Android voice control in the cabin.
I'm working on injecting data from my Autometer air fuel gauge atm...

Gui includes full fuel stats for current day, previous day, Trip A and B, both resettable, since fill up, past 15 minutes in 1 minute breakdowns and datalogging.

What do y'all think?

Edit Been setting this up for some friends...
Minimum to get this working for android
Bluetooth device (no head unit interface required)

Obd dongle to broadcast your car ecu to dashcommand on your device

Get this dongle and load dash command on your phone or bluetooth tablet or whatever and I'll send my Ford Racing SVT gui
https://www.scantool.net/scan-tools/obdlink-mxbt/

For ios
https://www.scantool.net/scan-tools/smart-phone/obdlink-mxwf/

I have not setup and ios device yet fyi

Last edited:

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
That's very impressive, great work! You have tons of talent and knowledge, awesome man.

What future plans do you have for additional functionality? Edited, I watched more closely and saw you had the essentials covered from spark to coolant and fuel, nice work.

Very cool man

Last edited:

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
Very cool. Way over my head and probably a lot more than I would ever use while taking the Mustang out for a smob, but cool nonetheless.

WheelStander

Ford Plastics Engineer
Established Member
Thanks guys I'm going have a full length video on this shot by the end of the weekend, give you a better idea what I got going here and really how simple it is to set up.
Also willing to help anybody and support anyone who wants to set this thing up.

WOTisfreedom

Established Member
This is great stuff, I'm so tired of my stock headunit . Here I'am oggling over the 8100 nex with the new BC-8 Cam. It's cool that you are pioneering, you're own type of Microsoft Sync. I like how you integrate automotive digaonistcs in addition to smartphone integration!

WheelStander

Ford Plastics Engineer
Established Member
You can also just use a device with Bluetooth and a obd2 dongle and Dash Command. Obviously this would not be on the head unit but rather your Android or ios device if you don't have a Pioneer apprAdio.

Last edited:

ZeroSVT

Established Member
You can also just use a device with Bluetooth and a obd2 dongle and Dash Command. Obviously this would not be on the head unit but rather your Android or ios device if you don't have a Pioneer apprAdio.

So you are just mirroring the device onto the headunit?

Hmmm...

badjuicedgt

Established Member
I would love to have this kind of system in my car and truck,both of them have pioneer app radios.Its so cool that you can do all that,hell it took me 3 weeks to figure out I was using the wrong app on my iPhone and that's why they weren't working right and I couldn't use the navigation,i just figured that out Tuesday and I have had the radio atleast 3 weeks.

WheelStander

Ford Plastics Engineer
Established Member
But I have an hdmi android stick attached if my phone is not around.. like at car shows I leave all the Terminator videos playing with the sound blasting, usually draws are pretty large crowd, lol

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread