Termi/GT500 Conversion Intake

TommyB

Established Member
Hi there 20190330_175306-816x612.jpg 20190330_175322-816x612.jpg . All is going well and the motor is back in the car. My next puzzle is to make the intake plumbing. Space is tight , so I have to rout the intake over the valve cove r, keeping as low a profile possible for hood clearance. I am using a 90mm SCT MAF, so, I assume , keeping the volume of the intake consistent is key. I have plenty of room to extend the intake duct down low in the engine compartment to cooler air.
My question is where to put the MAF? Can I be at the end of the duct, with the air filter element, or further up?
I am making the ductwork from epoxy glass wrapped around a foam pattern. The picture shows the beginnings of the pattern.
Thanks all,
Tom

01yellercobra

Established Member
Is it going to be square like that? I would get a mounting flange from VMP tuning and mount it in the middle of that long straight part. If possible put it on the bottom so you don't have a plug sticking out of the side of the smooth inlet.

TommyB

Established Member
Is it going to be square like that? I would get a mounting flange from VMP tuning and mount it in the middle of that long straight part. If possible put it on the bottom so you don't have a plug sticking out of the side of the smooth inlet.

The plan is to glue some more foam blocks together, extending down in front of the motor. It will be carved and shaped as round and uniform as possible. The more I think about it, I will have to place the MAF down low. There just isn't enough hood clearance on top of the valve cover. I'll post some more pics as I progress.
Thanks
Tom

TERMN8U

Established Member
The plan is to glue some more foam blocks together, extending down in front of the motor. It will be carved and shaped as round and uniform as possible. The more I think about it, I will have to place the MAF down low. There just isn't enough hood clearance on top of the valve cover. I'll post some more pics as I progress.
Thanks
Tom
Cool build. What are the details of the car? I’m thinking about getting a Backdraft Cobra next year. What is it like to drive and on one?

TommyB

Established Member
You don't need to keep the MAF sensor in the housing. Get a flange and put it where you want. Like I said, put it in that straight part and it'll work great.

Tonsil Style Steel MAF Flange for BA2600, BA3000, GT, V6 (blow-through)

Sounds good. Will do. Pretty much what I thought, but it is always good to ask those with more experience.
Termn8, my car is a Factory 5 Cobra. It is an incredibly well built car. An absolute blast to drive. The frame is super ridgid. No flex or shaking, even on the bumpy back roads of the Laurentians in Quebec. This is where this car shines. It handles like a go kart. The only downside is it is essentially a race car on the street, so it is loud, stiff, and hot. I will eventually break down and get some A/C. But for now, I avoid driving on super hot days.
Tom

Users who are viewing this thread