Tenn...what to see and do??

carcrazyguy

Established Member
Planning a trip to Tennesse in May. For those that live there or travel there frequently, I thought I would ask about the places to visit. What are the attractions that you would recommend? We are thinking about staying in Piegon Forge for 2-3 nights and then going to Nashville for 2-3 nights. Any car musuems? Any car events going on the last 2 weekends in May?

G:342

Just here for the ride.
Established Member
RUN! RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN AWAY FROM HERE!

Anywho, Gatlinburg is very nice this time of year if you can stand all the other tourists. I'd recommend getting a cabin up there and taking in the sights.. I don't know of any meetings in May but maybe all the TN guys here can put one together around that time? There's a car museum in Sevierville that's off the hook. It's called Garrett's muscle car museum. It's owned by a friend of my uncle's named Floyd Garrett. If your into muscle cars I recommend going there. Other then that there's numerous Go Kart tracks if you have kids that are into that sort of thing, An Aquarium that's really great and numerous other things. If you need anything else shoot me a PM. I'll help anyway I can.

Last edited:

gump

aka jamz
Established Member
Hit the mountains there, absolutely beautiful.

Tennessee river for fishing is awesome I hear. (see billdance.com for great fishing locations)

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Night out on the town in Tennessee is putting on your good bowling shirt grab a budweiser and sit out on your back porch watching your neighbor beat up his wife. If you have a girl with you it is called a date

jrscobra

blank
Established Member
I live two hours from Pigeon Forge, its kind of touristy, but the Car Museum in Sevierville, which is just outside of Pigeon Forge, is worth the trip alone. The Ripleys Believe It Or Not place had one of the Gone In 60 Seconds cars there, too.

One of the best attractions is the Aquarium, too! Youll love that place!
If you're here for a while, try the Aquarium in Chattanooga as well.
Theres Rock City, Ruby Falls, The Lost Sea( a little farther)

If you're into Civil War History, the Chickamauga Battlefield is cool, but its down toward Georgia.

Its not all wife beating and watching the grass grow!

Jaime

LS1PUSSOUT

Banned
pigeon forge is a cheap tourist trap. Gatlinburg is decent with a nice atmosphere and scenery. Nashville is very nice at nighttime. During the day you will see nothing but traffic and homeless people begging for spare change. There is tons of stuff to do on 2nd avenue and broadway at nighttime on the weekends. I go almost every weekend to the clubs and bars. They also have lots of performing shows and things like that. If you like country music then youll love it. I hate country and I still have alot of fun whenever I go downtown. Some people get used to living in nashville for so long that they just forget about whats really there. Nashville has alot more life in it than some other big cities. Just whatever you do dont come through murfreesboro...its a complete hole in the ground full of hateful people who think they are cool but in reality they look so stupid...plus the police will pull you over for anything because they dont know how to catch any real criminals...

LS1PUSSOUT

Banned
oh yea and nashville has the only full replica of the greek parthenon in the whole world. It actually pretty awesome I have been inside. Theres a museum underneath it. Oh theres also a huge arts museum on broadway too...Opryland Hotel is kinda cool to visit.

carcrazyguy

Established Member
We are thinking about staying at the hidden springs resort and doing day trips to see different area attractions. Or is there any place that you would suggest to stay? Any nice hotels other than something like the Gaylord Opryland? We live on the coast and figured the mountains would be a nice change in scenery. We have been to Colorado a couple of times so we figured we would try something EAST this trip.

Any good places to eat? Any mountain top restaurants? Is there still a scenic passenger train? I had a co-worker tell me that years ago they went on a 6 hour train that took them through some really cool scenery?? Anyway, just looking for some different things to do besides the norm.

LS1PUSSOUT

Banned
you want to go train riding? Dont see how thats any fun but ive never heard of it around here. The city tours are mostly for really really old people. If your into seeing alot of scenery youll find that in gatlinburg. Nashville is mostly nightlife and Titans or Predators games....There is alot of good food also. There are some very nice resteraunts inside the opryland hotel. Its expensive though. The Melting Pot is nice and if you like steaks you could try out Ruth Chris's steak house downtown...Opryland hotel is probably the nicest place to stay that you can find..

carcrazyguy

Established Member

Been searching those type of websites. Most places seem to have a good write up about them. However I would like to get the input of the locals or someone who has been before, so I can get "real world feedback" instead of "Best place I ever have visited.....Mary from Arizona"

example--- 10 years ago on our honeymoon I made reservations at a "top 10" bed and breakfast near Santa Fe New Mexico. The internet sites that I found it on, looked great. They had a great write up and a lot of "customer feedback" that went on and on about how nice the place was and all that. We get there and it was much worse than anything I could have thought up. It was in a terrible area. It looked like something you might see in OLD Mexico. IT WAS BAD, BAD. The sheets for the bed were so thin you could see the mattress underneath. The bed spread looked like something that came from a thrift shop back room. The floors had holes big enough you could stick your arm through. In fact we put our luggage over the holes to keep the snakes and mice out of the room. The shower was nasty, we went to the store and bought sandels so we did not have to stand bare footed in the shower. IT WAS BAD. We only stayed because it was "non-refundable". So I am not wanting to fall for that crap again.

Last edited:

carcrazyguy

Established Member
you want to go train riding?

Never even considered it until a co-worker mentioned that they went with family, not expecting anything. They said it was probably the best scenery that they had ever seen?? :shrug: He said they could have driven for days and not seen the cool scenery that they saw on the train ride? :shrug: Like I said we are just looking for stuff off the beaten path and out of the norm. This will be our first vacation in last 4 years and we are looking for something a little laid back instead of a scheduled rat race.

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
Gatlinburgs kind of nice. I mean they have the Ripley's museum and stuff. You can also ice skate. Its much better in the winter imo.

Although we did go white water rafting there before. Well technically it was like an hour from there near the NC border but we were staying in Gburg at the time.

97cobra1

Established Member
Pigeon Forge is definitely a tourist trap from hell. But there's tons of fun stuff to do here too. Indoor skydiving is fun as hell, go kart tracks out the ass, bungee jumping in a few places. It's that type of stuff. Too abd you're not coming This month, namely the 17-20. There's a pretty large car show here that's packed full of all kinds of nice cars. There is one thing i'd suggest you try though, there's a go kart place called The Track that has this thing called a Skyflyer. I've done it a few times and it's actually pretty fun. Think you can check it out on their website maybe? I dunno. I've never been to the muscle car museum but if people are saying it's that good, i might have to go check it out.

Other than that, I'd suggest sticking to Gatlinburg and the mountains for the most part, but really anywhere you go in the area is gonna be jam packed starting around the time you're coming. Clingmans Dome is a nice drive if you like curvy roads, and the hike up to the top after the drive makes for an amazing view. You wouldn't be too far from Deals Gap (the gap/tail of the dragon/us129 whatever you might know it as) and if you're bringing anything fun to drive down i'd suggest a drive out that way if you got a chance. I'd also recommend staying in a cabin as well over a motel. The cabins in the area are super nice and generally a pretty decent deal as far as price.

My best suggestion really, as there's TONS of stuff to do here is walk around up in gatlinburg and just do whatever you think looks interesting. Most everything around here as some sort of entertainment value it just depends on what you feel like blowing money on. Same goes for Pigeon Forge, but driving is a better option because it's a pretty long strip of stuff and walking is definitely not the best way of getting around down here unlike gatlinburg. Any other questions lemme know man, i live in Pigeon Forge so i'll try to answer anything i can for ya.

carcrazyguy

Established Member
Indoor skydiving is fun as hell, go kart tracks,.... It's that type of stuff.

That is kinda what I am looking for. I would love to find a "fast track" or "slick track" go kart track! We are flying in so I think we will be looking to rent either a Mustang or Hemi Charger Daytona. My brother rented a lime green Charger Daytona in Vegas. He said it would run pretty good.

Let's see here....places that we would likely visit....go kart tracks, race tracks (dirt, asphalt, cars or motorcycle), musuems, historic landmarks, theme parks, water parks, 50-60's cafes, theme restaurants, maybe even a zoo if we run out of things to do.

Users who are viewing this thread