Temp gauge in over "M" in "NORMAL", is that OK?

JaguarS4R

Established Member
I always feel like my car runs warm. When im doing about 80mph (3k rpm w/4.10gears) the needle will be over "M". It was in the mid 70s-80degrees yesterday and I was driving on the highway for about 45min each way, if I drove closer to 90 for a few minutes, it will get closer to "A" and if its about 90+ degrees with A/C on, than the needle will literally be close to "L". Once I turn A/C off, it will just stay at "M". Say im doing 65mph with about 75degrees, then it will be right in the middle in "R". The car never overheats (knock on wood) and has no issues with that, I just feel like it def. runs warm. Thoughts? I have a 97 Cobra w/ Vortech blower

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
Sounds like it runs hotter than mine does. Usually mine will stay cooler on the highway versus around town driving due to all the air rushing through the radiator. How old is the coolant? Maybe a coolant flush and burp is in order to start.

4vRedone

Banned
yeah sounds like you need a coolant flush to me. Maybe change your tstat while your doing it. its pretty simple job.

FoxFour

Peace,Love and Soul!
Established Member
Is the plastic air deflector still attached underneath the nose of the car? If not you can buy one for cheap at Late Model Resto. These little things add up. And I agree, burp the system again.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

ILUVmy1998Cobra

Established Member
I was having the same issues earlier this year and after making sure there were no coolant leaks and it was topped off, I literally had to burp, test drive, and repeat for about a week. It will slowly get better so don't expect an immediate change from the burping. Unless you run it forever then maybe....I'd try that first before going any farther into the wallet

Just my 2 cents

Bad03gt

Do what!?
Established Member
Are you running the stock radiator? With a 03 cobra radiator and with a cooler themastat mine ever comes off O even in 104* in traffic.

Last edited:

SCCA SM

Established Member
i consider L to be overheating... def get a new t-stat and do a flush. make sure you burp it right. you can also try a bottle of redline water wetter. that stuff works and you can add it to your system easily.

Bad03gt

Do what!?
Established Member
i consider L to be overheating... def get a new t-stat and do a flush. make sure you burp it right. you can also try a bottle of redline water wetter. that stuff works and you can add it to your system easily.

I love that stuff I ran in my s/c cobalt to keep the AIT and supercharger cool.

JaguarS4R

Established Member
Which coolnt to use? Also ,which thermostat to use? Can it be from napa? How do I know if it has the 03 radiator? Any special way of bleeding?

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
The stock gauge is a very narrow range. the difference in letters is only a few degrees.

Unles you made cooling mods it is designed to run 220° or so from the factory for emmissions and complete fuel burn.

That would be about right from what you are reading.

Like most I like mine cooler also but it is not anything to worry about if that is your concern.

JaguarS4R

Established Member
I think I figured out my problem, my procharger intercooler sits in front of the radiator and barely any airflow reaches the radiator? So should I install a 160degree t-stat?

J.Rovirosa

Established Member
Bought my '97 in '99 with 29k miles, stock. It has ALWAYS run on the left side of the "a" at its absolute hottest. Still completely stock cooling system, have always run Water Wetter, 60/40 distilled water to coolant, and a stock temp. thermostat.

Especially with the blower, it doesn't sound like you're running much hotter than it would if you were stock.

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
Bought my '97 in '99 with 29k miles, stock. It has ALWAYS run on the left side of the "a" at its absolute hottest. Still completely stock cooling system, have always run Water Wetter, 60/40 distilled water to coolant, and a stock temp. thermostat.

Especially with the blower, it doesn't sound like you're running much hotter than it would if you were stock.

+1

Mine runs the same. Eff that, I went out and bought a 180.

Oceanside78

Established Member
It's so weird so many people have cooling issues. Mine never cracks the R in NORMAL and I have a 18x stat. It can be 100 with the AC on at a stop light and stay between O and R. Stock radiator, no clue why it runs so cool

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
It isn't an issue really. The range is narrow, you may be 10° cooler than what they are saying and I'd say a slight gauge inaccuracy could account for that.

Without modifications they were all designed to run around 220° from the factory.

Oceanside78

Established Member
There's no way I get that hot. I think I cracked 180s on my data log doing back to back to back WOT pulls. I could be wrong though, that was a whole ago, but I know it wasn't over 200

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
No it is not an issue to run cool. it is better in most opinions.

For emmissions reasons almost every factory car since fuel injection in 1986 was designed to run in the 220° range. Some a little colder. Factory stat is 196° which some will say 196-204°

IIRC factory high speed fan setting is 210 or 212° so over 200 from the factory is expected.

Your car has a 180 stat. Did you do anything else or did you buy it this way?

I don't recommend a 180 stat without lowering the fan on/off settings.

With that said, I stand by my statement that upper range of the N O R M A L in the factory gauge is not overheating or an issue.

When it hits the RED, then it is an issue. lol

Users who are viewing this thread