Tell me about shift kits cs valve bodies

langod

Cobra: The Anti-hybrid
Established Member
Tell me about shift kits / valve bodies

I have a AOD equipped 1990 GT convertible.

I'm looking to get better shifting out of it -- longer time in 2nd & 3rd gear, downshifting without having to mat the throttle, etc. Right now (stock) it has the hurry-into-overdrive behavior that Ford undoubtedly set up for MPG. But this is a weekend cruiser, not a race car.

So I'm looking at shift-kits / valve bodies and have some questions. (I know nothing about automatic transmissions.)

Is a performance valve body just a stock one that has a shift kit already installed??
Will a valve body change the shift points, or just make it shift harder?
A valve body seems like an easier install, is that right?
Will either a shift kit or a valve body hold 2nd & 3rd gear longer without manually shifting or doing the 1-2-1 shuffle)

FWIW - I'm considering these. Other than the manual shifting "hold" feature, whats the difference between these two?
Hold Feature: http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/PAI-53301H/86-93-Ford-Mustang-Aod-Hold-Valve-Body
Street-Strip: http://www.latemodelrestoration.com...tang-Aod-Street-Strip-Transmission-Valve-Body

Thanks in advance!

PS: yes, I know that the real solution is to swap in a 5 speed, but for various reasons, I don't want to do that.....

Last edited:

langod

Established Member
Look up silver fox valve bodies. They are $$ but they are worth it from what I've read.

Thanks! Just looked them up. Looks like just what I'm looking for.
"increased wide open throttle and part throttle shift points in ALL gears – with additional custom modifications to help push 2nd gear to a healthy RPM (unlike many other kits or stock applications). Shift overlap and flare is eliminated and shift firmness is tailored to your desire. As a standard baseline, the SPT-1 is adjusted for a 5,800 RPM shift in all gears at wide open throttle, and retains the stock shift pattern."
http://www.silverfoxtrans.com/silverfoxtrans.com/VB_AOD.html

crazycarlo

Established Member
Nice. Well whatever route you go either post up a video or let us know how you like it. Unfortunately building an AOD to handle power gets $$$ fast.

langod

Established Member
Just wanted to give this an update.

I went with the Silver Fox Transmissions SPT-1 Stage 1 valve body.
It's exactly what I wanted with better shift points and slightly firmer shifts. Car is still nice and gentle with reasonable shift points for just cruising, but when you mat the loud pedal, it holds the gears to a decent RPM and shifts nice and firm! The kick-down point is better too - as stock it wouldn't shift down unless you pretty much floored it, now it'll shift down with about 1/2 throttle -- about where you'd expect.

I've been in some cars with valve bodies that even at low throttle, the shifts still punch you in the back every time. This one (Stage One) isn't like that. When you get on it, it shifts fast and firm, but when just loafing around it, the firmness isn't much different than stock.

It fixes the early 2-3 shift at low throttle -- it holds 2nd until about 2500 rpm under light acceleration. The early rush into OD is fixed too. The factory setup wants to go into OD at 40mph unless it's WOT. Now with any reasonable throttle it will hold 3rd until about 50 mph.

Out of the box, the WOT shift point seems to be about about 5500, but it can be adjusted by dropping the pan and turning a screw. (I put in a drain plug and used a reusable gasket, just in case I wanted to adjust it.)

It was pretty easy install. I'm a real basic back-yard mechanic -- I'd never done a valve body before and in fact, I'd only ever dropped the pan on (another) automatic once. The instructions were clear and easy to follow. Don't need any special tools other than a torque wrench that will adjust to 100 in/lbs or so. I did it on a lift, which made it pretty easy.
Anyway, I highly recommend it.
http://www.silverfoxtrans.com/silverfoxtrans.com/VB_AOD.html

Last edited:

Enjoy_the_Ride

Established Member
I rebuilt my AOD last winter and made a few mods to the valve body and governor. My WOT shift points were better, about 5400RPM, but still not where I had hoped them to be. I am going to buy SilverFox VB this summer and get my AOD where it needs to be.

Users who are viewing this thread