Tell me about San Antonio, TX... possible job opportunity..

427Windsorman

Currently between Fords
Established Member
I may be interviewing for a position with a company located in NW San Antonio (I-10 / Wurzbach Road area) , and would like to get some information about the area, and living in San Antonio.

What area's are best to buy a house? Which ones should be avoided?

What are property tax rates like? Sales tax?

I would like to find anywhere from an acre to 20 acres to build on, or possibly find a nice neighborhood with 1/2 to 3 acre lots. I would not mind living a bit further out (30 minute commute, or so), but if there is something closer in that is somewhat rural-like, that would be fine :)

Anything you can tell me would be appreciated.

FoofKiller

I> /\/\
Established Member
I may be interviewing for a position with a company located in NW San Antonio (I-10 / Wurzbach Road area) , and would like to get some information about the area, and living in San Antonio.

What area's are best to buy a house? Which ones should be avoided?

What are property tax rates like? Sales tax?

I would like to find anywhere from an acre to 20 acres to build on, or possibly find a nice neighborhood with 1/2 to 3 acre lots. I would not mind living a bit further out (30 minute commute, or so), but if there is something closer in that is somewhat rural-like, that would be fine :)

Anything you can tell me would be appreciated.

San Antonio is the sweaty ass crack of Texas. The armpits would be Houston and Corpus Christi.

DFW> rest of texas. :rockon:

RedfireSVT

Established Member
San Antonio is the sweaty ass crack of Texas. The armpits would be Houston and Corpus Christi.

i like the dfw area but austin is the number one spot to live. san antonio isn't to bad but i wouldn't want to live there.......if you live in houston anything is going to be an upgrade. i lived in h-town for a while, worst place i've ever lived and i still don't even like to visit that hell hole. best thing to do would be to visit SA and see it for yourself, personally i'd look on the north side for a place to live.

SVT Lurch

Good times
Established Member
All I know is the nicest part of the city is the Northwest side, so it'll probably cost you to live close to work.

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Finding acreage close to SA to build on will be difficult. Development here is out of control in all directions, N, S, E and W.

Try looking in Boerne for land/housing. It's a nice area and your commute will probably 45 minutes to an hour depending on traffic/construction. Boerne is on I10 west, north of SA.

Other than that, look on the north side, outside of 1604 (outer loop).

Did I mention that traffic is a bitch? Road construction is nuts and rush hour traffic sucks if you have to get on ANY of the major roadways.

Sales and property taxes vary. SA sales tax is 8.125%, not sure about property.

I'm a yankee, but I've been in San Antonio since '98. If I had to rank the 4 major cities it would be Austin > Dallas/San Antonio > Houston.

427Windsorman

Currently between Fords
Established Member
Thanks for the replies :) I would prefer to live in Fort Worth, but I have not found anything job-wise there I really want. I do not really like Houston, lol.

NateCR

Banned
houston is a cess pool.

austin is the shit.. I have an apartment in san marcos but i live in lubbock right now.

DFW is awesome too

But hands down austin is the shit.

no cigar

I want a $944 camera!
Established Member

Too many stuck up pricks in that part of the world...

San Antonio is a great place, you just have to find the right area. If you go out I-10 west past like DeZavala you will run into some really nice places, from modest quiet neighborhoods to big expensive houses. Thats one of the places on my short list to move after I graduate.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
I lived in San Antonio for 8 mo last year. I hated it. The people were unfriendly, food service was bad, and the drivers there were the worst I'd ever seen (and I've lived or spent time in all the major cities in TX). I lived on the NW side off Huebner and Babcock, and commuted to the Toyota plant on the S side. There were plenty of sizeable lots in the area I lived in, and it didn't seem like too bad an area crime wise.

SVT4J

This isn't the autobahn?
Established Member
Sa

I think you need to decide what you want from living in a city. There are no cities that are not congested, crowded, and have assholes living there. Everybody's priorities are different. Some just want to drink and party, others want nice family life, and others want nature, or big city. You get the picture.

With that said, I have driven in many metropolitan areas and SA is not bad at all. Working on I10 means you will be in traffic. No way out of it unless you work midnights.

Housing is growing quickly. The city is growing like crazy and acreage is going to be a premium if you only want a 30 minute commute to 10 and wurzbach. There are plenty of nice neighborhoods out 10 West with the 1/2 to 1 acre sized lots.

The great upside to SA is the cost of living. If you live outside city limits taxes are much lower, housing costs are really cheap, and there is plenty to do. You just have to know where to go. If you don't like SA then you don't know it very well. I think most cities are very much alike, and its really the people you surround yourself with.

Crazy88

Established Member

You must of really had a bed experience in San Antonio or youre just a jackass:nono:....San Antonio is Awesome:banana:, northwest side is the best place to live. Austin is full of **** i hear, and Houston is kinda crappy and ive never been to Dallas:shrug: but hear its Good, Corpus is a BIG NO NO!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread