Tell about your Spec Clutch

stang99

I just put a Spec Stage 2 and Spec Aluminum flywheel in my car and it seems OK except that it chatters if I let the clutch out with little or no throttle and also in reverse. It also seems to work better after driving a few miles. It also hits harder than the stock clutch and it is harder to keep the car from clunking.
I have about 250 miles on the clutch so far and I was following Spec's break in instructions religiously until I just went out and made a full on run to 110+ on a very deserted road. The run may have made the clutch "looser" but really did not seem to affect it at all.
Does it appear that my clutch is acting normally?

Terminator03

banned
I have a ram 900 series clutch. Ive only got about 500 miles on it and its just now stopping the chatter. Its completely normal with a heavy duty clutch. You gotta mesh the fly wheel with the pressure plate (You know break it in). It will eventually be 99% non-existant.

ROADWARRIORSVT

Established Member
I have a SPEC stage III in my 97 Cobra and a SPEC Stage III in the 03. You pay extra to get the chattering:coolman: This ai'nt no wussy stock clutch. Yes, its "grabbier", thats one reason it can handle more HP. The chatter will subside somewhat. The chatter tells gear heads your running something stronger than stock! Hopefully you got the six puck design, its more streetable than the older 4 puck. That bastard really bits hard! SPEC is a good clutch IMO!

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
sounds about right, Tetge...

my SPEC 3 is still chattering a little after 800 miles but I was told to expect it to last for at least 1000 miles so I think its just about finished breaking in now

if I hadn't been warned I would have been worried at first because it chattered like a mofo, felt like it would shake the car apart!

it does grab hard and requires a different driving style but overall I like it :thumbsup:

NVMYPWR

Established Member
What kind of TOB do the SPEC clutch kits come with?

I remember reading somewhere about some kit having a plastic one and how it "should" eliminate the TOB issue since plastic wouldn't wear out the retainer.

Any truth to that?

I've ordered all the basic bolt ons but have yet to install any of them aside from the CAI. I'm not sure if I should wait a few more thousand miles for mine to go out or if I can avoid the situation altogether with a new clutch that has a plastic TOB.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
Originally posted by NVMYPWR
What kind of TOB do the SPEC clutch kits come with?

SPEC's come with a composite (plastic) TOB assembly and I can't see how it could wear out the retainer......it's also available from them separately if you wanted to keep the stock clutch

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Originally posted by JB
SPEC's come with a composite (plastic) TOB assembly and I can't see how it could wear out the retainer......it's also available from them separately if you wanted to keep the stock clutch

Yea, and it's inexpensive (like $15), so even if it goes out, as long as it doesn't harm the retainer, I could care less.

jtfx6552

Established Member
I'm curious why you guys jumped to the spec 3, rather than using the spec 2?

Are you thinking that a pullied chipped eaton has more T at the crank than the stage 2's 530 ft lb rating? I guess it may. I was thinking that the stock clutch is probably quite a bit weaker than the stage 2 and it seems lasts ok maybe the stage 2 would be enough holding for good performance without being to "grabby" and breaking things , but I don't know?

JT

03DarkShadow

Established Member
i love my Spec stage 2. No chatter, TOB noise, etc....
When i bought it the guy from Spec told me to get an adjustable cable at the least to get proper travel and release of the TOB.

stang99

Was your clutch always chatter free? Because my Stage 2 is completely new with a new flywheel and a new tranny all at once and it chatters if I let the clutch out at idle without hitting the throttle. It seems to be breaking in and I am off to the races later today. We shall see....

Originally posted by 03DarkShadow
i love my Spec stage 2. No chatter, TOB noise, etc....
When i bought it the guy from Spec told me to get an adjustable cable at the least to get proper travel and release of the TOB.

Last edited by a moderator:

Big Daddy

Open Track Junkie!
Established Member
Hey I got the Spec Stage III with the aluminum flywheel and the chatter is finally getting better at 1000 miles on it. Man does this clutch GRAB! I likes it!! :D :D I went to Stage III because of the RWHP I'm making. :thumbsup:

ROADWARRIORSVT

Established Member
Originally posted by jtfx6552
On my 97 Cobra, the reason I went with a Stage III vs. Stage II was due to projected HP levels. The SPEC rep. said I was on the border line of Stage II/Stage III so I just chose the "harsher" of the two. On the 03, the Stage III was already on their when I bought the car. Stage II is said by the Spec rep to be more streetable. Stage III takes some driving adjustment as these other Stage III guys will be quick to point out!

Last edited:

olchakla

Dallas Mustang Cover Car
Established Member
Stage II is rated to 475 rwhp and stage III is rated to 600 rwhp

I just fryed my stock clutch assy and have the Spec III being installed since I am at 460 rwhp and plan on going higher than the Stage II rating.

Originally posted by jtfx6552

Are you thinking that a pullied chipped eaton has more T at the crank than the stage 2's 530 ft lb rating? I guess it may. I was thinking that the stock clutch is probably quite a bit weaker than the stage 2 and it seems lasts ok maybe the stage 2 would be enough holding for good performance without being to "grabby" and breaking things , but I don't know?

JT

Bingo13

Established Member
I have 8000 miles on the Stage II disc and Stage III pressure plate, power levels have been anywhere from 455~519 rwhp and not a single issue on my car. The car will still chirp the tires going into fourth. ;-) The Stage III setup is going to be tough on your input shaft.

hmwave

Established Member
What's needed to fit an aftermarket clutch and flywheel?

Is this a pro job only, or can it be done on the 'driveway'.

If anyone has details would love to hear them.

ROADWARRIORSVT

Established Member
It can be done in a driveway. For me, it would be a MAJOR pain in the ass, as you'll have to get the whole car up on jack stand, high enough to drop the tranny out. Then you have to use a floor jack to lift it back into place, blah, blah. Too much headache for me I guess.

davidmax

Established Member
InChevy land we have been experiencing problems with the Specs.It was our most popular seller and quality control just aint what it used to be,Dave Smilovic

Users who are viewing this thread