Teksid or 03-04 turbo?

MonsterMach1

Established Member
So what would be a better build to make a turbo cobra? I am considering buying a 1997 cobra from my buddy and it's bone stock. But, he has a complete 03-04 cobra block for sale including eaton supercharger. And he's asking $3000 for that motor. He also has a viper spec Tremec t56 that he would include on the sale for an additional $2500. I think his prices are kinda high but there adore hardly any miles on the motor and tranny. With that being said, do I buy the 03 cobra stuff or do I use there extra money to make this stocky teksid block that is currently in the cobra a monster? I want to forge all the internals and slap on either a hellion or on3 performance turbo kit with a perfect tune. What are your suggestions? I'm sure something close to this question has come up many times? And I've seen guys swear by the teksid block because they are so strong and light. Franky, I like the idea of a lighter engine. What would be the best option and bang for my buck. Because I don't want a supercharged Stang. Turbo is the direction I plan on going with this build!

1BD9D7

Rollin down the road in..
Established Member
The best end result would be a boosted engine with that teksid block, however that is not the most cost effective option. Besides the most costly part, the new short block, you may also find it would be good to use newer heads/ intake, such as the Mach 1 parts, a build will certainly be expensive. The prices on your friends termi engine / trans are pretty fair based on what I usually see. That may be a safer bet than guessing on what you will spend building the teksid, then searching for forced induction options which are expensive as well. I dislike the iron block idea ford had on the 03-04 cobras, especially since they do not handle more power than the teksid, probably less. It was probably a cost saver since everything else on the 03-04 cobra was so expensive.

97RioRedSnake

SVT
Established Member
$3000 is a pretty good price if we're talking about an 03/04 Cobra longblock plus the stock blower.

If starting with a stock 97 Cobra engine, you can reuse the teksid block and forged crank. Step up to forged rods/pistons, maybe ARP head studs depending on what your end goals are and your shortblock should handle a turbocharger no problem.

Users who are viewing this thread