Teh Trials and Tribulations of teh Fosuc..

Lupuri

Smack that ass bitch!
Established Member
I bought my focus in March of this year. My Mustang started to piss me off in the snow, and one day it didnt start for me, so I decided to go get a beater. I went to a local chrysler dealer to see what they had on their lot, mainly cause they were very close buy. They had an 02 ZTS Focus on the lot, took it for a ride and really liked the overall car, but they wanted 13grand for it, and I wasnt feeling it. After I pryed myself away from them, I went to a local Ford dealership, seeking a used taurus or someing for 7-8grand. Checked out a few things, then asked the sales manager if they were an SVT dealer, and they were! So I checked out some Cobras, they had a couple of used 98 Cobras for good buys, but I didnt want to turn my back on my 5.0. So I ask if they had any SVT Focus' in stock...he said they ahd two leftover from 03, with nice rebates, and it would stack nicely with my X-plan. Jumped in one and loved it. Jumped right on top of it, walked out with everything a lil under 17grand (got the extended warrenty, now regreting it.) Like 3 days later we got something like 4-5inches of snow over night, god DAMN the car was a TON of fun to drive in the snow! I just couldnt stop likeing the car...

Soo..lots of people were hatin on me, an avid Stang fan driving a FOCUS?! Most notably my father...calling it an Escourt and shit. Well, I dropped my stang off to have the rear played with a lil at Crazy Horse in South Amboy NJ. My dad rode up with me to pick it up, he wanted to drive the Stang home, I said I wanted to check it out, and its liable to be rabid due to the new gears. He aggreed, 15mins down the turnpike he calls me 'OMFG! I LOVE THIS ****ING CAR!!!' He was the first hater turned toward the light...Since then numerous friends have driven the car and REALLY enjoyed it. I even had a friend that is a hardcore redneck from WI buy one, and is modding his jawn more and more every day.

Soo....summer hits, and the temp goes up, only the AC blows hot. Ok, not a big deal, Ill have that handled soon when I drop it off. Its also doing the classic hesitation between 2-3grand, so I figure I can have the reflash done... Also at the Spring EastCoastStang rental, my LX all but blows the hell up, so I put-put home and grab the Fosuc to get the value outa my rental spot... Well....I powershifted a lil too hard an knocked the shifter linkage offa the transmission. No big deal, my buddy Mikey and I crawled underneath it, reattached and we were off. So, when I finaly drop it off at Miller Ford, I list the three problems, mentioned that there was a computer flash to fix the hesitation, which the service advisor didnt appreciate to say the least. They reflash it, charge the AC, but didnt find anything wrong with the linkage, listing it as 'possible normaly operating characturistic. (if i can spell.)

Soooo....like 3 weeks go buy, and I hear the throw-out bearing knocking pretty hard, aswell as the belts makeing a knocking sound. I drop it off, get it back, the belt knock is that great 'normaly operating characteristic, and the clutch still no fix.. I call up Miller, and tell them the car wasnt fixed. The service advisor appologized and told me to bring it back in, So...I have the car for 2months, and its already been in to service 2times...Its all good, I just want my car fixed.

After heading back to a friend's house after Fun Ford Weekend at Englishtown raceway, the car stalls, HARD. So I start it back up, my friend is laffing at me saying I cant drive or whatever. Then the AC starts blowing HOT. I dont know about the rest of you cats, but when I turn the AC on in my car, its like my 150hp goes down to about 100hp. The car is like night and day with the AC on. So I include that in my service request, along with the fact that there is a heat shield hanging down under the car, and the odometer dims out during idle with no accessories on.

I pick the car up, they totaly ignore my problems with the AC. 'Possible normal operating characteristic' was their claim for everything on the list with the exception of the heat shield, which they claimed they fixed, when they really just removed it...and the TOB rattle, which they replaced the whole clutch. So I asked to speak with the service manager...who got VERY aggressive with me very quickly, saying I didnt know what I was talking about when it came to the vehicle. Whatever douchebag...insult me all you want, I just want my damn car fixed. He then said that tests were performed ont he vehicle's AC system, and all the tests read fine. I asked to see the coolant levels and to have a tech shine a black light over the vehicle. He asked me why, I said because previously there was no coolant in the AC system, and you would know that if you looked up prior service interests. Feeling insulted, Jim (the service manager) gets even MORE aggressive with me, makeing statements like 'if you know this much, then why dont you work on your vehicle yourself' which my reply was 'I bought this vehicle so that I didnt have to work on a vehicle I owned. I wanted a reliable vehicle to drive when my other car wasnt running.' He also claims to stand by the work that his employees do, saying that they only get paid if the repair is performed and are not paid if they find nothing wrong with the car. He claims Im miss informed as to how things work with the vehicle, which I promptly asked him if he was a mechanic, he tells me he has no mechanical knowledge, but is a custoemr service rep. I asked if I could have service bulletins to the vehicle, which he denied, so I asked him to look up the vehicle service history. He did, I asked him to read me what was wrote about the shifter linkage, which he did. Then I asked him to look up on Oasis about a service bulletin that was released in Feb about a replacement clip that goes on the linkage to prevent my problem happening again. He gets even more angry with me, wanting to know how I knew that bulletin was there, and how I knew what Oasis was. I asked him to focus on the fact that Im a customer and I want my vehicle fixed properly, that anything else doesnt have anything to do with that fact, and that it was clear to me that him and his techs didnt do their job to the fullest, or things like 'normal operating charaterblahblahblah' wouldnt happen in such abundence. Literaly FUMEING at me, I leave, when I get home, I look on my desk and what do I see? a SURVEY from Ford about my vehicle being serviced at Miller.......needless to say, I went into detail on how I wasnt happy...

So....Friday, I crawl underneath the car to do my 6k oil change. I pulled the pan plug, let it drain, and Im checking out the underside of the vehicle (Im thinking of building my own turbo kit.) So I look...and the heat shield that I had a problem with before was no longer there, they took it off, and it wasnt a heat shield, it was a shield to protect the longtube from rubbing on the road. ....Well, whatever. So I look over, and I see light through the motor...there was a bolt missing out of the bellhousing-to-motor. MY jaw dropped....then i found ANOTHER and a bolt that was only still there cause it couldnt shimmy out of the hole ...and ANOTHER gone, then TWO more loose! Im FURIOUS! I could literaly move the transmission away from the motor with my HANDS! So its 4oclock, I call Miller, they said there is no way they can take the car in. I said they closed at 5 and that I needed a car for the weekend, the service advisor said that I needed to speak with the service manager on monday morning. well **** that...I called Ford customer service and went into detail, then crawled back under it, and reinstalled the transmission PROPERLY.

Monday hits, I call Miller Service, and ask to speak with Jim, the young lady on the phone asked me if she could help me with something, I told her who I was, and she remember me from my last encounter. I explained what happened, and she put me on hold. Then another Service Advisor named Larry Mullen pics up the phone, and proceeds to tell me that Miller will not do any service to my vehicle and that I need to take it to another dealer. I asked why, he said because I wasnt happy with previous service. I said I was going to bring the car back to Miller, and they were going to fix it right. He tells me that they dont have to fix my car, and can refuse service if they please. This goes on for about 10mins as Im throwing everything at this asshole, who by chance is YELLING at me on the phone. Finaly I said, ok, hold on a second, can I ask what your service record is like. He claims it is flawless. I laff, not believeing him...cause...MY TRANSMISSION HAS BEEN LOOSE FOR OVER A ****ING MONTH!!..So I ask him 'Your telling me that Im the one-in-a-million situation right?' He said I was, I then asked why he was unwilling to fix my vehicle properly, he said because I put in such a nasty survey with Ford, useing words like 'disgusted' (which I did!) I said I was disgusted....my vehicle's trans wasnt re-installed properly. He told me that it was my opinion. That everything that has happened with my car was my opinion.

To make a long story short, I sat down with the GM of the dealership yesterday, damn near livid....wanting to know WTF was going on with these people that cant do their jobs, then are holding a grudge against me because I told Ford that they werent doing their jobs. Btw, not one time did I ever lose my cool, or use un-fitting language. Everything was said in a very proper and professional manner...

I cant beleive the ammount of shat Ive had to deal with with this dealership...btw, the car is still sitting out in front of my house...untouched.

elliot400

Certifiable SVT Poster
Established Member
Sounds like some old school dealership crap to me. They should treat you and your car with more respect. They are stupid to stop servicing your car, that way they'll lose your friends and family sales and service business too. I've worked at an SVT dealer for years, and never heard of such a thing, but I don't doubt your words a bit. It's too bad that some people in the car business still think they can manipulate customers. They should know that SVT owners are special, we own these cars for what they are and what they can do. That usually means we know a little more about thier inner workings than most customers. Lupuri, I hope things get better. I'd call 1800fordsvt and have a chat. Good luck bro! E-

Focus04

POWER HUNGRY
Established Member
Filling out that survey and being honest was one of the best things you could have done. I'm a Service Manager for Pep Boys, and I've worked for dealers in the past, and I can tell you that Ford Motor Company takes those surveys VERY seriously. They use them to come up with a CSI score (Customer Satisfaction Index) and the dealership's scores are a major factor in deciding whether or not they become Blue Oval Certified, basically the equivelant to Chrysler's Five Star Certification. Dealers have to earn this, and a dealership that continues to provide lousy customer service can have their certification taken from them. If you gave them a poor survey, and now they don't want to serve you, that is STUPID! If they had half a brain, they would have called you and kissed your ass to make sure you become a satisfied customer. Trust me, I know, because I too am given a CSI score, and if my score drops below 85%, I start losing bonus money. The best thing you can do now is reach someone at Ford and let them know that not only did they provide horrible customer service, and perform shabby repairs to your vehicle, but as a result of you being honest about your experience when you took the survey, they now refuse to serve you! This should put them in more hot water, and hopefully put this asshole service manager's job in jeopardy. Believe me, Ford as a company does not want a group of assholes like that running their name through the mud, and if you make the right people aware of this situation, they will put pressure on the dealership to make it right.
I hope this helps a little, and good luck. I hope you get results.
Focus04

Primaris

Established Member
Lupuri,

You need to call up SVT. Don't walk, run to the phone. Ask them for an email address and send them the contents of your post.

BTW did you know you are supposed to get a loaner when your SVTF is in for service? If you haven't been getting it asking for it now should really piss in “Jim’s” cheerios.

After those two steps, and I'm sure SVT will be calling your service advisor to have a bit of a chat with him, I’d get my butt down to the local court house and spend the $50 to start the proceedings on a smalls claim against them for the time you have lost fixing their faulty workmanship. I figure it would be worth it just to have them pay a lawyer bill.

And lastly I'd introduce "Jim" to a 36 Louisville Slugger.

I really hope your experience does a 180 so you can continue to enjoy your SVTF. Take it to an AutoX and smoke all those disrespecting Stangs like I do :p

Lupuri

Smack that ass bitch!
Established Member
Thanks guy...
I walked into another local dealer today that has a WONDERFUL rep, and was treated with open arms. The service advisors have teams that work with them to provide customers with direct insight on whats going on with their vehicles, well the advisor called out the mechanic who is gonna work on my car to listen to what I had to say about my previous dealer, and he was laffing. I should have gone to them in the first place...Looking like im gonna be much happier. Thanks guys.

elliot400

Certifiable SVT Poster
Established Member
I'm very happy that you found a "real" service dept. In Vermont, we have a few really good Ford service centers, and the rest are terrible. Your story is close to some I've heard come out of these places. Glad to hear your getting the help, and respect you deserve. E-:beer:

PDX1594

Established Member
Hope you get stuff straighten out. 5.5k on mine so far and zero problems. Have Mustang Bullitt also and haven't driven it much since I got the SVTF. Probably off it to pay off the Focus. Enjoy!

Lupuri

Smack that ass bitch!
Established Member
Well.....the service manager at Mill completely changed his story when SVT called him direct, and I had the SM from the other dealership call him and tell him his boys ****ed up my car. The dealership I took my car to said they could nto fix it because it wasnt a warrenty issue, but a service issue, which I can understand. Now the first dealership is playing bitch....and im driving a rental car until like wednesday of next week...

Primaris

Established Member
Originally posted by Lupuri
Well.....the service manager at Mill completely changed his story when SVT called him direct, and I had the SM from the other dealership call him and tell him his boys ****ed up my car. The dealership I took my car to said they could nto fix it because it wasnt a warrenty issue, but a service issue, which I can understand. Now the first dealership is playing bitch....and im driving a rental car until like wednesday of next week...

You are not paying for this rental right?

Primaris

Established Member
Cool. I was just asking because quite a few SVT owners have been had by the dealer when it comes to getting a loaner.

Lupuri

Smack that ass bitch!
Established Member
They tried to pull that shit at Miller with me.
The dealership I should have went to from the begining...he flat out told me that they took care of the rental...and the 'optional' insurance if I wanted it.

wagonman72

Established Member
I have personally dealt with the people at SVT and Ford customer service in the past, they could give a crap less what any of us think about their product. Wait until you have to take your SVTF in to three dealerships for 12+ visits for an oil leak. Oh and isn't that thing with the shifter FUN!!

FreeFlowSVT

Lover Of Burned Rubber
Established Member
I work for a Ford dealership and still get the same crap. Took my car in this week and was told major crap.

For one they were going to charge me to look at my brakes which are grooving bad at only 7000miles. Thats just dumb.

Also was told that the backfire when i rev the car or am driving hard and let it come back down is a Normal Operating Condition. They also said that the surge under light pedal and the window making a crappy sound is both Normal Operating Condition too.

What the hell! I mean come on...are they trying to tell me i bought the only car in existance thats suppose to backfire and surge with a squeaky window? Well wish i had known that when i first bought it or i wouldn't of. :rollseyes But i know better and that stuff is not normal like they say.

Really has made my week an angry one. :bored:

Lupuri

Smack that ass bitch!
Established Member
Ive been a ball of anger all ****ing week over this car...and the service I have gotten. Trust me, I feel ya. I'll never buy another NEW car again..

KevinB120

COOKIES!
Established Member
I have NEVER seen any behavior remotely like this at our dealership. I have no idea why they dont just fix the ****ing car:shrug: We service just about every SVT in the area, from all the different dealers. 5 of our techs are among the best on the east coast.

AZ SVT

Established Member
Originally posted by KevinB120
I have NEVER seen any behavior remotely like this at our dealership. I have no idea why they dont just fix the ****ing car:shrug: We service just about every SVT in the area, from all the different dealers. 5 of our techs are among the best on the east coast.

Unfortunately, dealerships vary as much as people in the general population. There are some real losers out there. :bash:

FreeFlowSVT

Lover Of Burned Rubber
Established Member
Originally posted by KevinB120

Has nothing to do with the techs in the end. It all comes down to the service manager your dealing with. The techs could do/fix what they wanted on the car, but they need to check with the SM first and such and most of the time thats where the trouble come from like i had.

woodchuckbob

Established Member
I'm probably off topic a bit, i'm in a hurry and haven't read all the posts, but i just thought i'd mention the thing about the ac running hot. It's probably is just normal "operating characteristics". I live in ga and it gets up to 100 degrees in july and august and it wont blow cold air occasionally when it's first started up so what you have to do is drive around at 4000 to 4500 rpm to get everything on the ac turning fast enough and allow it to cool itself down. After doing that for a couple minutes it's nice and cold.

Users who are viewing this thread