Teenager car insurance

snakedoctor

Established Member
My son just turned 16 and is getting ready to take his driver's test. I was talking to my wife about adding him to the insurance which prompted her having a conversation with my sister in law. My sister in law told her that you don't have to add them to the insurance until age 18, that uninsured motorists will cover him. I've never heard of this before and wanted to make sure that this wasn't some "underground secret" that I wasn't aware of. It definitely doesn't sound legit to me.

JJackson515

Established Member
thats a big no no and your claim can be denied for that. contact your agent and inquire about discounts for teens, such as good student discount, driver safety discount, etc.

Ghost11

Established Member
Take it from a guy who has twin 17 year old's.

Shop around for insurance.I was with the same company for 17 years and hated to drop them but they wanted almost $240.00 per kid per month.

Spent about 4 hours searching websites and calling different local agents before I found my current company.FYI-$90.00 per kid per month.

CV355

_
Established Member
Get him on your insurance, get good limits, whoop his ass if you find him driving unsafe. Don't cheap out and get state minimum either.

The way my father did it, he made me buy my own first car, helped me with some of the repairs, got me on his insurance plan, and gave me a monthly bill for insurance and parts cost for the repairs. Good life lesson.

But leaving someone uninsured so the other drivers pick up the tab? Phew, do not do that- it's playing with fire.

raustin0017

Established Member
Zodiac...USAA a disappointment? I don't understand.
Have been with them since they allowed enlisted in the club. Have everything with them (house, 3 vehicles). In the past 3 years have had major claims such as dishwasher broke and flooded bottom floor (replaced wood floors, carpet and pad), cable box hit by lighting (replaced alarm system, computer, router, HDTV, digital decoder sound system, speakers, etc), wife had accident with her BMW, her fault (repaired at local BMW place). Total of my claims = North of $30,000. My rates did not go up one dollar.

OP...got to get your 16 year old on your policy.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
thats a big no no and your claim can be denied for that. contact your agent and inquire about discounts for teens, such as good student discount, driver safety discount, etc.
My daughter has every discount available, and has been to every class possible. My insurance rates still suck.

I tried to tell Geico that I have both an NHRA and an SCCA license. Sadly my high speed talents and on track permissions are not a reason for a discount.

I personally see this as a benefit. I know how to draft, fully understand aggressive and defensive driving, and know how to use the apex of most corners.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

raustin0017

Established Member
^^^ your saying USAA is da-bomb (as in good) or is bomb (as in bad)?
There is not an insurance company that can compare to the customer service, product and reputation that I know of.
Can you find cheaper insurance? Sure. Can you purchase gold from William Devin as seen on TV? Sure. Both of those are poor plans.

I'm getting too old to decipher what folks really want to say.

Zodiac

Established Member
Zodiac...USAA a disappointment? I don't understand.
Have been with them since they allowed enlisted in the club. Have everything with them (house, 3 vehicles). In the past 3 years have had major claims such as dishwasher broke and flooded bottom floor (replaced wood floors, carpet and pad), cable box hit by lighting (replaced alarm system, computer, router, HDTV, digital decoder sound system, speakers, etc), wife had accident with her BMW, her fault (repaired at local BMW place). Total of my claims = North of $30,000. My rates did not go up one dollar.

OP...got to get your 16 year old on your policy.

I had USAA for years. Every renewal rates would increase for no reason. Call them and talk to them, and nobody had an answer. Not small increases either. First claim which was a comprehensive claim due to a tire tread blowing off a tractor trailer and striking my wife's Jeep, automatic increase in rates, on top of the already increased rates due to renewal.

After playing their games for 5+ years I dropped them. I was done playing with their bullshit.

Switched to Metlife due to group plan discounts through my employer. After the renewal was set to go in place I shopped around. Currently with nationwide who have been great. No drastic increases in renewals, unlike USAA.

Every now and then I do check out rates with USAA and still not impressed. When I first got USAA rates were great, every 6 months it was around $200 or so increase.

When you call to make a claim it's all accusatory rather than trying to help you with the situation. I'm glad some folks have good luck, but my experiences have not been worthwhile.

Users who are viewing this thread