Technological progression of motors and my senior project

90_red_lx

ASLOW50
Established Member
Hey, I'm doing my senior project paper on the technological progression of engines, and was wondering if anyone had any good info that could prove that todays engines are more durable and efficient than motors of the past. Or any sites that tell about engine technology of a certain era. Appreciate it if you do. My product is a rebuild AMC 304 engine, but thats already covered. Thanks!

FordGTGuy

Established Member
your f***ed because some aren't lol!

you can cover the progression of fuel emission rates, you might want to research the racing engines of various companies, and the help of new electronic devices to help the cars effecincy.

inteller

Established Member
there has been no progression of engine technology. we still use internal combustion. Now, you could do a thesis on all the different variations of internal combustion technology.

there was that one concept car back in the 50s (Ford Nucleon) that used a nuclear reactor.....but that never quite made it to market.

Last edited:

Coiled03

Established Member
there has been no progression of engine technology. we still use internal combustion. Now, you could do a thesis on all the different variations of internal combustion technology.

Yes, we DO still use internal combustion, which in and of itself is progression compared to steam powered engines. You could also talk about materials improvements for longer life, valvetrain technology (VVT, etc), the overall increase of power in the last 20-30 years....lots of things to talk about. It just depends on how broad, or narrow you want your scope to be.

90_red_lx

ASLOW50
Established Member
Coiled03 said:
Yes, we DO still use internal combustion, which in and of itself is progression compared to steam powered engines. You could also talk about materials improvements for longer life, valvetrain technology (VVT, etc), the overall increase of power in the last 20-30 years....lots of things to talk about. It just depends on how broad, or narrow you want your scope to be.

Thats what I'm basically talking about. I'm talking progression such as fuel injection, overhead cams, etc. Efficiency is more of more power while burning less gas and smaller cubic inches in general, etc.

90_red_lx

ASLOW50
Established Member
Thanks for the sites man. I have to do at least 5 complete, double spaced pages on the topic so I will probably start with the steam engine, talk a lot about the internal combustion technologies like OHC, VVT, fuel injection, etc, and if I'm still low on pages, talk about hybrids and cars like that.

90_red_lx

ASLOW50
Established Member
FordGTGuy said:
sorry but OHC has been used since before the 60's

I'm doing engine progression basically. Starting probably with the steam engine, working my way foward to internal combustion, OHC, maybe something on the hemi head design or something, then on to fuel injection, etc.

cobra_4

#PITS
Established Member
Good luck with your project. I did my report on the history of the supercharger and my actual project was on changing the pully on my Cobra. Good luck!! :coolman:

Users who are viewing this thread