technical Q's for motor build

NoAllies

Boost-A-Holic
Established Member
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I started off my weekend by installing my Corbeaus and center console, then moved on to building my motor. Here's what I did;

Plastigauged all bottom end bearings - all perfect. Torqued to 30 ft lb, then another 115*.

I contemplated using the 11x1.5 tap to clean the thread holes in the block for the head studs, but still didnt like the idea of using a tap to just clean the threads. So I flipped the block upside down, grabbed some carb cleaner and hooked the little straw up to it, then blasted out each thread hole until they were clean (and then some). Cleaned all the old head studs in a bath of laquer thinner and a soft wire brush. Cleaned all the nuts/washers the same way. Block was used and had not been surfaced, but has only seen MLS headgaskets so I cleaned the deck surfaces with laquer thinner until my white rags did not discolor any more. Spun the studs down into the block (did this side dry with no assembly lube). Double nutted the ends and just snugged each stud into the block. Ran a rag across the block with laquer thinner yet again to ensure cleanliness. Installed the head gasket. Istalled heads, used assembly lube on head studs/nuts and torqued in three steps; 30, 60, 90.

At the point of installing the cams I started to need some advice.

Q: Do the lifters need to be bled to avoid bending valves? Some people prime them, some people bleed them. Is there no problem with primed lifters bending valves on the mod motors?

Q:
Do the cam caps have a "direction". I.E. - all the readable numbers facing down so they are readable.

Q: Do the cam caps have a specific location they need to stay in, or are they interchangeable? (Other vehicles I work on you cannot mismatch where a cap came from and needs to go back to).

Q: The main advantage I've seen on the Romeo heads is the cam cap "bridge" design for added strength. The cam journal locations are the same between heads. Has anybody put the Romeo "bridge cap" onto a Windsor head? I've got a set of scrap Romeos that I could use those off of and put them onto my Windsor heads.

Q: The heads are not CNC ported as I was led to believe. They were hand ported, and the port looks awesome, but the valve guides suffered a bit of trauma. They are scarred and appear to have a maximum of 1/16" material removed in spots. Is this something I should worry about? Having a valve guide partially break off wouldnt be too cool!

Q: The valvesprings are a dual valvespring design. I heard rumors of not having an "upgraded" lifter can cause valve float if using too stiff of springs. I have not seen any upgraded lifters available though. Is this a myth or something to be concerned about?

Any guidance would be much appreciated!

Specs on the motor: ModMax 4340 rods, CP 18cc dish pistons, ACL race bearings, (unknown rings), Ford 4 layer MLS headgaskets, Windsor heads, ported/polished, 1mm oversized valves, titanium retainers, bronze valve guides, custom ground cams (265/267, 230/232 @ .050 lift, v lift .047/.045)

wydopnthrtl

Established Member
Q1 - I didn't bleed mine down at all.

Q2 & Q3 - Assuming they have not been line honed... the best starting point is to place each one in it's original place and orientation. (I numbered mine)
Then lightly TQ each one down w/o the rockers in place. That way you can "feel" the resistance of rotating the cams. Once you get past 10-15in lbs you should NOT feel or measure any increasing resistance. If you do recheck the caps and then you might even try swaping them around to get the cam rotating resistance as low as possible.

Q4 - I don't know

Q5 - If the guides are still the factory ones.. I'd want to very carefully inspect them. They are powdered metal and are more brittle than what most of us use for aftermarket cams.

Q6 - I'm running Comp 278s and the stock lifters. I've got about 4500 miles on the engine and have spun it to about 6200rpms w/o any problems.

One other tip.. if your using studs.. TQ them and let the engine sit for 24hrs. Then retorque... sit for 24hrs... then retorque as needed.

Rich

Last edited:

NoAllies

Boost-A-Holic
Established Member
Q1 - I didn't bleed mine down at all.

Good to know, thank you!

Q2 & Q3 - Assuming they have not been line honed... the best starting point is to place each one in it's original place and orientation. (I numbered mine)
Then lightly TQ each one down w/o the rockers in place. That way you can "feel" the resistance of rotating the cams. Once you get past 10-15ft lbs you should NOT feel or measure any increasing resistance. If you do recheck the caps and then you might even try swaping them around to get the cam rotating resistance as low as possible.

I bought the heads and didn’t really know much history on them. I don’t believe anybody would have change the cam cap locations around, I’m just being precautious. One thing I do not understand is why you even get near 10-15ft lbs on your torque wrench. The torque specs on them is to get them snug, then in the second stage go to 89 inch lb, which is about 7.5 ft lb of torque. I’ll toy with the suggestions you had for me though.

Q5 - If the guides are still the factory ones.. I'd want to very carefully inspect them. They are powdered metal and are more brittle than what most of us use for aftermarket cams.

These are surely not factory. They are very thick bronze guides. The whole head was built up to be a race style head. It’s got bronze guides, stainless valves that are 1mm over, and titanium retainers. Not sure about the seats. I will inspect each of them a bit closer. If it’s only minor scarring I probably wont worry about it. Though bronze is pretty soft….so I don’t know what to think.

Q6 - I'm running Comp 278s and the stock lifters. I've got about 4500 miles on the engine and have spun it to about 6200rpms w/o any problems.

Great to hear, thank you.

One other tip.. if your using studs.. TQ them and let the engine sit for 24hrs. Then retorque... sit for 24hrs... then retorque as needed.

This has been a practice of mine for a long time with every motor I build.

Rich

Responses in BOLD

Good luck with the build Mark.

Thanks Josh, I appreciate the support!

flashlight

Established Member
I didnt bleed mine down and the cams locked up inside the head. Had to replace the heads again. If the cams are taken off the heads the lifters have to be bleed down. Dont find out the hard way.

NoAllies

Boost-A-Holic
Established Member
Did you made this thread on LR too?
Yes I did. I'm trying to get as much advice as possible.

I didnt bleed mine down and the cams locked up inside the head. Had to replace the heads again. If the cams are taken off the heads the lifters have to be bleed down. Dont find out the hard way.
Are you sure the cams locking up inside the head wasnt a lubrication issue? Non-bled lash adjusters shouldn't cause that, but from what I know they will cause bent valves.

If I can figure out how to bleed them I may just do that to be safe. Any pointers?

wydopnthrtl

Established Member
Sorry.. I meant inch lbs. :nonono:

Point is.. anytime you want to check rotational friction... just snug the bolts / studs and check. Then during the TQ sequence continue to see if the friction increases. If you see friction increasing as you tighten then the clearances are not set properly. Could be a wrong cap.. or a wrong bearing / journal combo.

And since it has bronze guides I wouldn't sweat it at all.

Rich

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread