Technical Education vs. Liberal Arts

Vizior

Established Member
Hey... I'm a freshman in a state university, and am considering different paths to take. At the moment I plan on double majoring Psychology and Sociology, with a minor in Criminal Justice. However, lately, I've been kind of sick of the atmosphere. In observing the atmosphere I tend to believe that most of the classes I'm in(social sciences), tend to be idealists and like to argue their anti-establishment/anti-anything real to the point of boredom.

I'm also intending to do the Officer Candidate Program for the Marine Corps, in addition to the reserves, so I have a lot riding on a liberal arts education. Plus, I have a sports team, along with friends and other organizations(EMS, along with some random clubs).

The other option I'm considering is something more practical or technical. I'm considering either a paramedic program, or some other Assosicate Degree Program, and then go back to a Liberal Arts School part time, because I truly enjoy the idea of learning, and the classes themselves.

I was wondering what kind of advice you guys have, many of you probably having been there before.

Now, the obvious question is: why the hell is this dumb kid asking on an internet forum? Well... most of the people around me unwittingly serve there own agenda, because if they're still at college, it's obviously still working for them. So, many of you are older, and have seen the results of either decision, I was wondering if anyone had any stories to help me?

chevysRslow

Established Member
Sounds like you have a lot on your plate. That's good and bad at the same time. It's good to be well rounded, but at the same time, you need to really focus on school. Your grades/transcripts will be with you the rest of your life.

I think you need to think about what you want to do for a career; what type of activities you enjoy and what kind of income you'd like to have.

Users who are viewing this thread