Team Z k-member with MM solid steering shaft?

35thPonyGT

Schwing!
Established Member
I'm trying to fix my steering in my Mach after the team z k install. I know now that I need a solid steering shaft to straighten out the wheels. Seems like only max motorsports (~$300) and flaming river ($450) makes these
I emailed team z and they were unsure if the MM shaft will work. Perhaps to sell more flaming river units which they sell on their site?

Anyone have this setup and can give me the thumbs up on the MM?
I'm still not sure what/how a solid steering shaft corrects this besides being universal and also why team z decided to move the steering rack to the right in the first place

Last edited:

starnsey

Established Member
Wait what? What do you mean straighten out your wheels? It doesn't make any sense that you need a solid steering shaft to straighten out your wheels. Straighten them out relative to each other? Relative to the chassis? All of this can be done in an alignment.

35thPonyGT

Schwing!
Established Member
It can't be fixed with an alignment. Tried it, ran out of threads on tie rods with this k member. With the steering wheel straight, the wheels are turned slightly right. To make the wheels straight, the steering wheel must be turned a little over 1/4 turn left
Later, I checked the instructions and said I needed a solid steering shaft to correct this

starnsey

Established Member
It can't be fixed with an alignment. Tried it, ran out of threads on tie rods with this k member. With the steering wheel straight, the wheels are turned slightly right. To make the wheels straight, the steering wheel must be turned a little over 1/4 turn left
Later, I checked the instructions and said I needed a solid steering shaft to correct this

Hmm, interesting. I haven't ever seen that before or read anyone having to replace steering shafts to correct an alignment issue. Especially since the shaft doesn't really re-locate anything or change mounting angles or anything like that. Curious to see what someone else says.

35thPonyGT

Schwing!
Established Member
Hmm, interesting. I haven't ever seen that before or read anyone having to replace steering shafts to correct an alignment issue. Especially since the shaft doesn't really re-locate anything or change mounting angles or anything like that. Curious to see what someone else says.

89158e426ab9b4750fce6e5c90b7777c.jpg
yeah that's all it says in the instructions. I didn't think I needed it either so I didn't buy one

Here's what the steering wheel looks like with the wheels straight. Keep in mind there is no way it can be a rotation off due to the one-way design of the shaft. Wheel is turned left because the rack is moved right.
36cdc1bd4134fd3d0a6db6378625c74c.jpg

starnsey

Established Member
Ah, so the steering rack is actually moved over? That is so weird. I've seen tons of people who use Team Z's stuff and haven't ever read this issue. You would think if they state you need a solid steering shaft that Team Z would provide the appropriate option with the shaft notch clocked 90 degrees.

And just to be clear, the Maximum Motorsports solid steering rack bushings have to be lined up vertically in such a way, did you get steering rack bushings that need to be in a vertical orientation that got installed wrong or anything? I can't understand why they would design a k-member that shifts the rack over.

Tractionless1

Established Member
Take the steering wheel off and reposition on detents that make it straight? Or are you going to lose turn radius to the right by doing so?

I don't think (by reading their destrictions) that the solid shaft is for the alingment, rather the offset bushings should do the trick. Typically solid shafts are employed when there isn't enough clearence near headers to fit the OE with the elastomer section. I could of course be wrong as you're the 1st I've seen with this idiotic (not u, the manufacturer) problem.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread