Tax write off?

CentennialVert

Angry Pirate
Established Member
I'm looking into leasing a new truck through my Dad's company that would be a work and personal vehicle. I am told that you can write off a truck to a certain extent as a General Contractor, I just don't understand the details, and nobody can seem to give me a clear answer...so I'm coming to the experts.

What I want to know is how much can be written off. Say the truck is worth 35k, and my lease payment is around 400/month...is the write off based off the total value of the truck, or monthly payment, or interest paid?

ROCMAN

Big Boned!
Established Member
You are able to usually write off the entire lease payment. You can also write off a purchase, but it is based off of depreciation and percentage of business use, so only a portion of it is written off. I have never done the lease thing, I am only going by what was told to me. Just talk to your accountant.

s_x_i

Established Member
at 48 cents a mile, I'm better off writing off mileage.

If you don't drive it much you can write of the purchase/depreciation, but if you drive a lot you're better off writing off the miles.

CentennialVert

Angry Pirate
Established Member
Either of those would work, actually. I usually drive 1500-2000 miles a month so 48 cents a mile would be crazy. I have to get my Dad to actually sit down and let me show him the benefit to putting the truck in the company's name, so we'll see how it goes.

Cobrasvt43

Muscle car whore
Established Member
CentennialVert said:
...so I'm coming to the experts.

one would think that for something as important as this, an individual would actually consult a professional.. not a few professionals surrounded by a bunch of heresay? Call your accountant.. or better yet your father's accountant. He will know what will most benefit you guys.

Dusten

Established Member
My accountant wife says this

it is rated by the type of vehicle, the length of bed (don't laugh beds much be at least 8 feet), the percentage it is used for work, and the category it falls under.

CentennialVert

Angry Pirate
Established Member
Dusten said:
My accountant wife says this

That would be the clincher right there...if that is the case then I'm shit out of luck. I don't need a long bed, and I don't want that long of a truck...but if thats what I have to do to get a writeoff, then I might.

Users who are viewing this thread