Taser vs Firearm (LEO's Only)

CSD

Banned
If given the option to use a taser or firearm on the Rottweiler in the video, what would be your first choice given the circumstances?

*LEO replies only. Thank you

[youtube_browser]GKjypk7yBrk[/youtube_browser]

musclefan21

Established Member
Personally I would give taser a try in that incident, but I wouldn't question an officer who would use his side arm. Unfortunately, where I work, we have been forced to shoot at dogs in multiple different occasion. They come out of nowhere and here you are face to face with a beast. you really dont have time to do anything, but use your side arm.

Last edited:

Zinc03Cobra

Super Trooper
Established Member
I've always found pepper spray to be an efficient dog (and/or any animal) deterrent. The taser would have been my 2nd option, and lethal as my last.

I don't fault the Officer for using his primary weapon. A rottweiler is capable of doing great harm to any human being. It's reasonable to assume that he was afraid of being bit and met an aggressive dog with lethal force. Good shoot in my opinion.

Sucks to be the "that youtube cop that killed the dog" guy.

brys00gt

Established Member
I would not have used a taser they are not effective on animals and are not recommended by taser for use on animals. Have they been used in the past yes. But after the effects of the taser are over the dog gets up and you are back to square one.
Its not like dealing with a human that you can give commands to while under the effect of taser and take into custody. We have no way of restraining animals.

musclefan21

Established Member
I would not have used a taser they are not effective on animals and are not recommended by taser for use on animals. Have they been used in the past yes. But after the effects of the taser are over the dog gets up and you are back to square one.
Its not like dealing with a human that you can give commands to while under the effect of taser and take into custody. We have no way of restraining animals.

While I agree with you, there has been multiple incidents where a dog was tazed and as soon as the 5 second ride was over, dogs took off running the other direction.

brys00gt

Established Member
There are a few videos of the taser being used on dogs and the dog always runs away. They usually run back to their residence or a place of safety.
Do you really think a dog protecting their owner would run away and just stop protecting their owner? So now you have an even more pissed off and agressive dog that ran. away and still can't be controlled.

JST A HDA

Established Member
Don't think I would use a gun in that situation. If I had a taser to use then I would use that b/c I am a dog lover and looking at the video...the dog just looks to be protecting its owner. My GSD would do the same for me and even more so for my daughter and fiancé.

We don't have tasers at my department but I still wouldn't use a taser. My right fist would of connected to the dogs head first to knock him down

Last edited:

Lt. ZO6

Established Member
There are a few videos of the taser being used on dogs and the dog always runs away. They usually run back to their residence or a place of safety.
Do you really think a dog protecting their owner would run away and just stop protecting their owner? So now you have an even more pissed off and agressive dog that ran. away and still can't be controlled.

I wasn't there, so it wouldn't be fair to arm-chair...

Our agency doesn't utilize Tasers. I have a soft spot for dogs and perhaps would've attempted to pepper spray it first, if the opportunity were present.

brys00gt

Established Member
I am a taser instructor and k9 handler/trainer for my pd. That being said, I would not have used my taser. Not an easy decision to make especially in that split second. That being said I don't think the officer saw any other option.

DepWraith

Established Member
I have 3 dogs and would've used the same force. The dog barely obeyed the owner on leash and showed aggression then. Hoping one taser probe, much less two struck and deterred the dog face on would be hopeful at best. That dogs intentions were clear and I guarantee that if that dog was going towards anyone's child in that manner and they tried to taser it first that the parents would sue their butts off when the child was bit. I was very sad watching the dog die, but humans safety always comes first.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
I have 3 dogs and would've used the same force. The dog barely obeyed the owner on leash and showed aggression then. Hoping one taser probe, much less two struck and deterred the dog face on would be hopeful at best. That dogs intentions were clear and I guarantee that if that dog was going towards anyone's child in that manner and they tried to taser it first that the parents would sue their butts off when the child was bit. I was very sad watching the dog die, but humans safety always comes first.

We don't carry tasers. That being said, this response is the one that I would have to agree with.
With using pepper spray, you would now have an aggressive dog on the loose that can only be guided by his hearing. He could potentially be aggressive towards anyone and everyone at this point.
It sucks to be the officer that has to go through all this media coverage and public crtitcism, but I think I would have made the same dicision he did, especially in the short time frame that he had.

CSD

Banned

My thoughts exactly. :thumbsup:

Backstory is my older brother from California text me with the video I posted here. He is a dog lover, as am I. He was upset and asked me why the officer didn't use his taser. He also suggested the officer lose his job.

I explained to him why the level of force was justified and he didn't want to hear it. I proceeded to tell him that a Rottweiler of that size and strength has a much higher pain tolerance than a human, and if tased, will get right back up and continue to show signs of aggression. The taser does not immobilize a dog like it does a human.

+1 I completely agree. Human and officer safety are #1 and we need to use the level of force that will stop and/or slow down the aggressor enough to control the situation. If my dept had tasers, I wouldn't have used it.

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
Taser, no guarantee that it would work! I almost had to shoot a Pit bull back in February. I gave the owners one command if they didn't get the dog away I was going to shoot it.
This was the closest I came to shooting a dog.
So I believe the officer did what was necessary.

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
tazer would only make aggressive dogs feel more threatened and piss them off even more.

i would hope that i would have the option of OC spray....that always worked for me. aggressive dogs can be scary....but i would rather not kill one unless i had no other option.

OC spray always worked. life sux for the dog for a while and they run off wimpering, but its less lethal and i didnt have to kill it.

an officer in our department got sued because he had the option of oc spray and chose lethal force.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Tough to monday morning QB this....I just feel bad for the guy because he's being crucified in the court of public opinion, as usual.

However I have seen Tasers fail and OC have no effect. And in a situation like that with a rottweiler as big as that, he could kill you. I would think my instinct and muscle memory would be to draw my weapon and fire, if I had to. I am an animal lover too, and of course in hindsight the video looks bad; everyone calling the guy a vicious murderer. But unless you are there, you really can't say what you would have done.

musclefan21

Established Member
tazer would only make aggressive dogs feel more threatened and piss them off even more.

i would hope that i would have the option of OC spray....that always worked for me. aggressive dogs can be scary....but i would rather not kill one unless i had no other option.

I o OC spray always worked. life sux for the dog for a while and they run off wimpering, but its less lethal and i didnt have to kill it.

an officer in our department got sued because he had the option of oc spray and chose lethal force.

Officers get sued all the time. People have the right to sue but that doesnt mean anything. What was the disposition of that case?

I of course dont know the details of that incident, but i will throw this general statement: It may have looked like that officer had the option to use OC but how did the officer feel at the time of the incident? If an officer feels threatened that he will be attacked and bitten by a dog, lethal force is justified. He sure can be sued all day long, even department may settle to avoid a costly trial, but that doesnt mean the force was unjustified.

Last edited:

Azrael

Úlfhéðnar
Established Member
We're one of the last decently large agencies to not use, or be issued, the Taser. So it limits our options.

I would not have used a Taser in this case regardless, I have seen first hand what a large dog can do to a human being, and have no wish to be on the receiving end of that.

94ss06gxp

Established Member
Justified shoot. Officer used what he felt was the correct amount of force at that split second decision. I carry Taser and OC, will I know right now what I would use if a dog came at me? Probably not.

50 Deep

SVT JEDI
Established Member
I would of immediately went to my service weapon. Given the size and breed of the dog that officer was facing serious bodily injury. Of course you can use the Taser, but what if the probe does not hit, or the dog doesn't run away after. Now you have one officer stuck dealing with the dog, and not focusing on his partner. Worst case the officer then gits bit, and everyone says "why didnt he just shoot the dog!"

Most use of force policies allow you to use the appropriate level of force to overcome the threat or resistance. As an officer, you have to respond once the threat becomes imminent. For an aggressive dog of that size and breed, and given the totality of the circumstances, it's the sidearm

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
Officers get sued all the time. People have the right to sue but that doesnt mean anything. What was the disposition of that case?

I of course dont know the details of that incident, but i will throw this general statement: It may have looked like that officer had the option to use OC but how did the officer feel at the time of the incident? If an officer feels threatened that he will be attacked and bitten by a dog, lethal force is justified. He sure can be sued all day long, even department may settle to avoid a costly trial, but that doesnt mean the force was unjustified.

settled out of court in secrecy. i heard 10 grand. he got 3 days off with without pay.

Users who are viewing this thread