Tapping noise from S/C

NFCstang

I probably don't like you
Established Member
Ok...background.

Installed the 2.8 pulley in April of 05. After the first day or so, there was a tapping sound from the s/c. I asked a few people what it was and they said that it was the bypass valve and that it happens on these cars once in a while. A couple of days later, the noise goes away and I haven't heard it since.

Flash forward to the present.

Zero issues with the car up to this point.

About a month ago, one of my idler pullies goes bad so I replace all of them to include the idler with the billetflow set(1-92mm and 3-100mm). I used the Gatorback 4080745 per Cobra Bobs belt guide, but it was a real bastard to get on even after I notched the tensioner.

Finally get it on and everything is super again.

All of a sudden on Sat, I start getting a tapping sound from the S/C again and it's loud as balls but it doesn't seem to have any effect on the driveability. I have zero loss of power and I'm still seeing 14-15lbs of boost in the cooler weather. The only thing that seems slightly different is that my throttle seems to stick a little because it looks like I have a couple more inches of vacuum under cruise and when I get off the throttle (>20in). It doesn't make as much noise when the car is cold, but seems to get louder as the car gets warmer and it doesn't make the noise all the time....seems random.

Is it possible that the belt is too tight and I bent the input shaft on the s/c? I looked at it again this morning and there's no vibration at all but when I put my hand on the s/c I can feel something tapping or vibrating.

Any help is appreciated.

*Cliff notes
---------------------
Tapping noise came from S/C when 2.8 pulley was installed but went away almost 3 years ago.
Installed new idler pullies and belt (nothing else has changed)
Belt was a bitch to get on.
Tapping noise started coming from S/C on Sat.
No power loss or other issues except for noise.

NFCstang

I probably don't like you
Established Member
TTT-

Changed the oil last night and the sound diminished but is still there. Seems to be located in the snout.

Bearing maybe?

Users who are viewing this thread