Tapping noise at certain RPM's - normal?

qkslvr221

Established Member
My engine makes a tapping noise at certain RPM's, (around 1900-2200RPM) that goes away completely at higher or lower RPM's. Has done this since I got the car, I thought it might just be the noisy valvetrain. Does anyone else have a similar problem?

I came across this video HERE (skip to 0:50), and it sounds 100% identical to mine. Temperature and oil pressure are always fine, no misfiring or trouble codes either.

EDIT: engine just hit 100k miles the other day.

Last edited:

Cobreezy

Established Member
My 98 is doing the exact same thing. I used a screw driver as a stethascope and pin pointed the noise to the driver side cylinder head. A shop I brought it to says I spun a rod bearing. If it is a spun rod bearing, wouldn't I be hearing knocking sounds instead of ticking and rattling? I'm hoping it's coming from the valve train, lifter or follower possibly? Let me know what answers you get.

qkslvr221

Established Member
I would think a spun rod bearing would be more of a knock, increasing in volume with RPM's. Also wouldn't our oil pressure be lower? Mine is pretty normal right now, and the tapping noise only increases in speed (not volume).

bvysochin

Established Member
qkslvr221 said:
I would think a spun rod bearing would be more of a knock, increasing in volume with RPM's. Also wouldn't our oil pressure be lower? Mine is pretty normal right now, and the tapping noise only increases in speed (not volume).

It's really hard to tell from an online video, but yours doesn't sound 100% like a spun bearing to me.. Maybe one that just spun in it's early stages? I doubt oil pressure would be affected after it spun, at least it wasn't in our case.

Have you run it low on oil recently?

This is what a spun bearing sounds like on a 99 GT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3Amz2ax6h4

Spun #8 rod bearing.. Think of marbles in a coffee can.. In our case, it sounded definitely like something rattling. Definitely varied with RPM.. got louder/faster as the rpms went up.. usually was not present below 2k..

Last edited:

qkslvr221

Established Member
Sounds similar to mine, but somewhat louder. Mine goes away after 2200. Oil level has been kept on full at all times, and the car was purchased about a year ago and has only seen ~5k miles as of now. It has been the exact same ever since. :beer:

Black Stang 97

Established Member
bvysochin said:
It's really hard to tell from an online video, but yours doesn't sound 100% like a spun bearing to me.. Maybe one that just spun in it's early stages? I doubt oil pressure would be affected after it spun, at least it wasn't in our case.

Have you run it low on oil recently?

This is what a spun bearing sounds like on a 99 GT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3Amz2ax6h4

Spun #8 rod bearing.. Think of marbles in a coffee can.. In our case, it sounded definitely like something rattling. Definitely varied with RPM.. got louder/faster as the rpms went up.. usually was not present below 2k..
wow, that car sounds horrible... before i got this car, i test drove one at the dealer and it made a similar sound at startup and then again after the car was warmed up.... the dealer guy said it was ok... that if i had problems to take it back...lmao

qkslvr221

Established Member
So this seems to be pretty common for us 4v'ers. Not sure if I should be disappointed, or reassured :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread