"Taping" the front of your car (blue tape) for autox

SpectorV

Established Member
I sports car passed me yesterday on the interstate and reminded me of this. They used blue tape on the front of the car. What tape is used and does it actually prevent debris from messing up your paint. Is there any residue left behind thats hard to get off after the tape is removed also?

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
blue tape is painters masking tape

it does indeed come off easily with no residue

s_x_i

Established Member
Don't know if it protects the paint worth the effort, but the tape they use is a low adheision (not sure if I spelled that right) painters tape. You can get it at Lowes / Home Depot. It will peel off and not leave any marks. If there is a slight residue it can be removed pretty easily with some mineral spirit and a rag.

WDW MKR

Established Member
A couple of folks even posted pictures of their Cobras all masked up for a long trip. Looked goofy as hell, but I've considered it for my next long trip.

SpectorV

Established Member
yea, as of late I have been driving 2 hours on the interstate back home (at least until next week when my driving back and forth is done...) and I have recieved one little place for my troubles.... If I take it on any long trips im either going to have to buy a bra or do the tape thing.

sgt d

tejas mile!!!!!!!!
Established Member
Mustang2Saleen said:
3M Clear Bra
:rockon: :rockon:
had it on my car after getting rid of my leather bra. wish i had done that first because debris under the bra scratched the paint.

WDW MKR

Established Member
Wish the 3M stuff was removable. I don't like them for a permanent installation since the edge always catches cleaning products and debris. Did anyone ever put together a complete pre-cut kit for the front bumper cover, hood edge, rear of the rocker panels, and behind the rear tires?

03'Darin

Established Member
I've had the 3M clear bra on 5 vehicles now. I've never had any problems with it. When installed correctly you shouldn't have any problem catching the edges if your careful. It's pretty expensive stuff, but IMO well worth it.

There are several companys that offer pre cut kits. I would suggest you find a very good installer and let them do everything. Each installer usually either custom cuts his own or uses a computer generated cut.

Darin

WDW MKR

Established Member
The line is always visible to me, and that just bugs the hell out of me. Guess its the lesser of two evils.

Tommy98016

Heavy Ass Vert
Established Member
I have never used it on the front of the car but I have used the painters tape on my 1/4 panels when I go to the track. Makes for an easier clean up and protects the 1/4s

GA Terminator

Established Member
I drove 750 miles to a class reunion, used the 3m painters tape. Took it off when I got to the reunion, and put fresh back on for the ride home. Not a scratch, chip or bug mark, roundtrip.

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
GA Terminator said:
I drove 750 miles to a class reunion, used the 3m painters tape. Took it off when I got to the reunion, and put fresh back on for the ride home. Not a scratch, chip or bug mark, roundtrip.
Your car must have looked like your avatar....

Users who are viewing this thread