talon tsi vs 03 cobra

Status
Not open for further replies.

juan valdez

Established Member
I was going down 5th ave near downtown and I see a red 03 cobra so I followed him for a while cause I wanted to race him and see just how bad these things are so I keep getting up beside him and I finally get him to notice that I want to go so I put it in second and wait for him he down shifts and get ready and I hit it and I start to pull fairly quickly and I pull all the way through second and I am 2 cars ahead so I let off and I look in the mirror and he's coming and gets about 1 car between us so I get right back on it and since he was still getting on it all I could do was keep him a car behind then we let off. When the guy pulled up next to me he asked what I had and I said" pull over and ill show you." There was no place to pull over so We drove for a bit and talked at stoplights when we could and my passenger asked the driver just to mess with him if it was supercharged because I wasn't to impressed with its performance. We finally pull over and he pops the hood and says" there it is theres the supercharged 390hp beast" I told him "Well 390hp yes but mine must be more of a beast" Then I showed him mine he didn't like it but I think its because it just beat him, so, oh well. He lost to the big bad talon beast.

LBguy

must get stronger!
Established Member
what do you have done to your car? what turbo are you running? psi?

Wild Bill

Established Member
Nice kill. I dont see many TSIs around here.Anytime I get next to one they turn out to be the non turbo or dont want to run me.If you ever come to Vegas look for Wildbill,I'll run you in my slowbra!

juan valdez

Established Member
I had a stock turbo 14b I had my converter off so I had and open downpipe so I was running no more than 15lbs of boost because I had the stock boost controller hooked up to run 13lbs and with the open exaust it ran 15lbs.

Painter

Established Member
I am new to this stuff but I just bought a 03 sonic cobra. Was wondering on how to PROPERLY break it in. I heard baby it for the first 500 miles then I heard drive the s**t out of it from the start, any ideas?

chrisle7220

Established Member
This guy i knowed named Nathan has a Talon TSI. In my opinion, i think it is butt ugly, but he has so much stuff done to the engine. He has some turbo upgrade and claims he can run 12's, if he can have time to go to the track. Ive never street raced him cause he's always working, but hopefully one day at the track!

juan valdez

Established Member
when I first got the talon I didnt know if I liked it or hated it but I loved the color it was electric blue and the body and paint was mint. I always thought the 03 cobras looked goofy until I went and looked at one up close and I loved it.

notdisturbed

I got nothin...
Established Member
Originally posted by juan valdez
I had a stock turbo 14b I had my converter off so I had and open downpipe so I was running no more than 15lbs of boost because I had the stock boost controller hooked up to run 13lbs and with the open exaust it ran 15lbs.

So, youre running the stock turbo with no converter? Is that it for mods? If so, then this post is nothing but BS.

chrisle7220

Established Member
Yeah, unless you did some major things to your talon, i dont think you can beat even a stock cobra. Those Talon's run like 15's stock with the factory turbo. The factory turbo is probably good for 14's, maybe high 13's, but i doubt 12's. Unless you got a turbo upgrade, i dont see it happening.

Cobra4pt6

Banned
the guy in the 03 was probably babying the car or didn't shift into a low enough gear..... usually the cobra pulls out ahead on the initial punch b/c of it's torque curve...............in my opinion i don't think he drove the cobra like it should have been driven

juan valdez

Established Member
well it happened so like it or not. I know the guy and he was impressed about the performance of my car and he used to mess with talons and hondas. My talon with the stock turbo could stay side by side to my friends big 16g laser with the mods I had when I beat the cobra and the mods was an open K&n, open down pipe , gaskett match ported exaust side of the head, and I think the manifold was ported and the timing was advanced and there was no balanced shaft belt or ac belt. All free mods. lets see, the mods were worth around roughly 80-100hp give or take a few which would make it have close to 300 at the motor. the car was a 5-speed and fwd (with base options) so it was light (around 2700lbs) and weighed about 1,000lbs less than the cobra. The cobra was a convertable and they are heavier then coupes. So you see angry mustang people whether you like it or not the cobra got beat. put it into a calculator and check it if you think it will help.

69gt4speed

Svt God of All
Established Member
I am running up a flag on this one, there must be at least 10 that run around here 94 - 96's, it's a pop teen car here. The guys usually never do nothing, the couple that tried it I smoked them, one from a roll, one from a stop, they had shiny chrome mufflers, I had a k&n and exhaust. And yea, they have the turbo. A 3000 gt awd that had a man. boost controller was much faster than any of those talons by far. Yes, bring your Talon to Vegas, then here unless you are running +20# you won't hold up. It just seems a 210 hp I-4 car is all that, considering its pretty heavy, it would take a lot of weight stripping and some mods.

juan valdez

Established Member
He wasnt babying it trust me. He was waiting as well And the cobra did go good initialy but I was waiting in boost and it goes just as good as a supercharger while at higher rpms and I had it at 4grand waiting.

juan valdez

Established Member
I never said anything about vegas. I dont even have the car anymore and who cares if id get beat in vegas if i did everyone looses im not afraid of that. But the fact is I won this race and at the time thats all that mattered.

NavyTim

Established Member
Sorry, I don't have a Cobra and I don't believe it. I think you have had too much coffee Mr Juan Valdez :)

03DOHC

Established Member
I don't know enough about talons to know whether or not it's BS. We do have members here that used to race those and would know. I believe Broke7 had a talon in the 11's, so he'd know.

BTW, good kill.

juan valdez

Established Member
Truth is I have had to much coffee but your right what was I thinking your precious 03 cobras can't be beat. I guess when I raced the guy I was snorting to much ground up coffee beans and I though I won. I guess I'll have to get me a mustang just so I can win. My wheelbarrell is falling apart anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread