Taller sidewalls possible on stock rims w/o rubbing?

DeadStang

Established Member
I've been doing a lot of tire thread reading and there is a lot of talk about wider tires and switching to 18" wheels, etc. I'm old school, tho, and I like the taller sidewall look rather than the rubber band look I think my car has. My Cobra has the stock 17" wheels and the original tires, but I just blew one out tonight on the highway and am now needing to buy a set. Can I put a taller tire on the original wheels w/o rubbing when I turn sharply or go over bumps in the road (car has no suspension mods)? Can I do different sizes front and rear to get taller and fatter in the back to get the raked look (yes, I grew up in the 1970s)? I am a newbie and know I have dumb questions--sorry!

getTwisted

I Remember My First Beer.
Established Member
I'm sure you can get a taller tire on there without rubbing. I'm not exactly sure what size it would take. IMO if you go with a taller sidewall tire you are going to lose a ton or performance, especially in a curve. From the factory they will put the best size tire on the car for both reliability and performance.

Another option to get a "rake" look is to just put a larger tire on the stock rear wheels, lets say a 315, and leave the front tires stock, then lower the car accordingly. You could lower the car 1" in the front and .5" in the rear. You can do this by cutting the stock springs and adjusting the ISO's. or buy H&R Race Springs and adjust with MM ISO's.

here is a link to a guy that is running 315's on a stock rear wheel. This car does NOT have a "raked" look, it is just lowered on cut springs, you will just have to use your on imagination as to how much you will lower your car.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?930411-A-few-pics-of-my-MC&highlight=

JrSVT

Established Member
295/45/17 Mickey Thompson Drag radial....it's a 28" tall tire as apposed to the 26" tall stock tire.

Jr.

gabe1530

Banned
295/45/17 Mickey Thompson Drag radial....it's a 28" tall tire as apposed to the 26" tall stock tire.

Jr.

+1, this is the exact tire i was going to recommend. it will give you a little bit more width and the sidewall you are looking for. great tire as well.

Skitzerman

NE Philly
Established Member
Change the Tire Rev's/Mile on your turner. This will keep your odometer and speedometer accurate. The Rev's/Mile can be found in the Tire Specs. I had no adverse effects to the ABS.

Use this Calculator to figure out your new Effective Gear Ratio.

Tire Size Change, New Gear Ratio Calculator

http://www.4lo.com/calc/geartire.php

Users who are viewing this thread