• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

Taking the car to the shop

Discussion in 'Engine/Tuning' started by 03cobroush, Nov 11, 2005.

1. 03cobroush

03cobroush New Member Established Member

I am basically just throwing the question out there in hopes that someone has read another thread about this problem and you can link me there because I would have no idea what to search.

My problem:

The other day I was driving my cobra down the local highway at 60mph, when the limit changes to 70mph I went ahead and gave it WOT because I well like the whining noise :rockon: BUT.. this time something was different, it sounded almost like a rattleing noise was coming somewhere from the engine bay,from the back of the engine closest to the firewall. The noise I heard was definatly metal rattleing though. After a few tests it was determined that it only makes this noise at WOT.

So I was basically just wanting your thoughts on this. I hope its more or less somthing to do with exhaust.... (new Lt headrers for christmas?) But if anyone has had experience with something rattleing its way loose that sounds similar to my problem please share, Thanks!

:Edit:
    Specs: stock 03 cobra 24k miles slp cai and roush side exhaust nothing else

Last edited: Nov 11, 2005
  2. 03cobroush

ttt?

3. DD2000GT

DD2000GT VNMS 13 Established Member

What gear was you in? If you floor it in a high gear you will put a high load on the engine and is likely to cause detonation (a very bad thing for our cars). It will sound like marbles bouncing around in a metal can. With the gas the way it has been lately - I would add some octane boost to the tank.

Dan

4. Blaine

Blaine Active Member Established Member

+1 ;-)

5. 03cobroush

First: thanks for the responces!

Second:
    Dear lord, that is pretty much ecactly what it sounds like, and Ive noticed hearing it in 2nd and 6th gears.. the gas stations around here sell 92 octane min for premium but I'll def try it and hopefully it all works out. Are there any other ways I can help reduce detonation on top of better octane?

6. swlacobra

swlacobra too many cars Established Member

keep in mind detonation will ruin your expensive motor. is your car stock? if so it might need a dealer computer reflash. if it is modified you need to get it to a good tuner soon. til then stay out of boost. good luck

Last edited: Nov 13, 2005
  7. ShelbyGuy

ShelbyGuy Steers With the Throttle Established Member

Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
    colder plugs may help somewhat