Taking paint off Chrome wheels.

95rcobra

Since the search is down I was looking to take the paint off the inside of my chrome wheels today and wanted to know what products people are using to do this. I was thinking of using just mineral sprits, lacquer thinner or a wax and grease remover. what is the safest for the wheel and easiest to use for this project. any help is appreciated.

Thanks, 95rcobra.

-------------------------------------
2004 Mystichrome Cobra coupe #????

Xstanger

Established Member
try mothers polish first. I used this on chrome wheels to take off overspray before. You may also want to try a clay bar.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Good thread...it's raining today and would give me something to do. There was a thread on this a couple of months ago where there were some horror stories about getting that paint cover off. Can't remember what the successful strategies were. Seems like mineral spirits or paint remover....Anybody???

95rcobra

Torch04,
Thats sounds like a good idea. I have a few clay bars sitting around that I could try and I have Mothers polish. I would want to try the less caustic way of removing the paint first before I go to wax and grease remover or mineral spirits. thanks for the tip.

Later, 95rcobra.

-----------------------------------

95rcobra

Originally posted by IronTerp
Good thread...it's raining today and would give me something to do. There was a thread on this a couple of months ago where there were some horror stories about getting that paint cover off. Can't remember what the successful strategies were. Seems like mineral spirits or paint remover....Anybody???

I remember reading that thread too and I think what worked best was the wax and grease remover or mineral spirits. But I will try the less stinky way first with the Mothers or a clay bar. I have wax and grease remover but that will be my last option.

Later, 95rcobra.

-----------------------------------

95rcobra

I finally got around to start taking the paint off my chrome wheels today. I tried the Clay, mother's wheel polish, mineral spirits, wax and grease remover, blue magic. None of these products worked that great but the wax and grease remover did the best job but I wanted to find something that was not chemical with harmful vapors. well I found it. I did one entire wheel and took it off with #0000 grade steel wool. It works awesome. takes the paint off while polishing the chrome on the wheel. I did not realize how nice the chrome is under this paint until I removed it all. now the wheel is all seamless Chrome. I took the paint off everywhere. it took me about 1-1/2 hours to do the whole wheel but its worth every minute of it. I took some dig. shots of the wheel and I will try to post them in the morning. now onto to the other 3 wheels.

Later, 95rcobra.

----------------------------------

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Originally posted by 95rcobra
I did one entire wheel and took it off with #0000 grade steel wool. It works awesome. takes the paint off while polishing the chrome on the wheel.
I was going to try that but was afraid of scatching the chrome. There's just nothing powerful enough to put on, let it sit, and then just wipe/rub off tha paint???

95rcobra

Originally posted by IronTerp
I was going to try that but was afraid of scatching the chrome. There's just nothing powerful enough to put on, let it sit, and then just wipe/rub off tha paint???

No, you will not scratch the chrome with #0000. they have #00 listed on the bag for polishing chrome and the #0000 is much finer. I did the entire wheel even where the paint meets the chrome on the front of the rim and it took everything off with no scratches and a high polish to the chrome. you can steel wool the paint off without evening touching the chrome on the front of the wheel. It was easy. You should clean the paint first to get as much dirt off before you start with the #0000. I used my P21S Total wash to do that. I would think that there would be some kind of paint stripper out there to put on and wipe off but I would worry about possible staining of the chrome on the front of the wheel. I was looking for a safe non toxic way to do this and it worked out great with the steel wool. the chrome on the back of the wheel under the paint has machined lines in it so its not total smooth like the front. but that does not matter because the shine of that chrome is just like the front.

Later, 95rcobra.

----------------------------------

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
Ace Hardware Laquer Thinner. I tried most of the stuff posted above [including paint remover. I didn't try steel wool]. Paint remover worked but took a long time and a lot of effort. Then a couple of guys suggested Ace Hardware Laquer Thinner. It works great! I used about a pint per wheel.

WARNING!-This is some MEAN stuff. It ate through 2 pairs of rubber gloves. Be careful with it. I had the best results by liberally wiping it on and letting it sit for a few minutes then wiping with a fresh area of a towel. Then I repeated the applications until all the paint was removed. Keep kids and pets away!!!

The chrome underneath looks great! It's not perfectly finished like the front, but much better looking than the paint.

xtremejc

Boost Addict
Established Member
The commercial grade steel wool does the trick... I posted pics 6 months ago after I did my entire set... It will not scratch the wheels at all !!!

Users who are viewing this thread