Taking my CCNA in a few hours, any advice from the network engineers here?

Screamin03Cobra

formerly 'pony2000gt'
Established Member
Like the title says I have my test in a few hours, just wondering if there's any tips or tricks I should know. I've taken the Cisco classes 1-4 and completed all the tests on how2pass so I feel confident. Thanks for any advice you guys have!

aaandht

Established Member
Good luck!! I took those classes in high school and they were rough. Never did follow through for the CCNA though.

MissionMan

u mad
Established Member
Good luck!! I took those classes in high school and they were rough. Never did follow through for the CCNA though.

somewhat similar for me. my bachelors program was split in 2 2yr increments. associates was all ccna, the second 2 yrs was ccnp. wanted to blow my brains out. never followed up on either cert.

Screamin03Cobra

formerly 'pony2000gt'
Established Member
I have some more studying to do apparently! I was close but no cigar this time. The simlets on the ACLs and EIGRP did me dirty : (

JasonSnake

Established Member
x3 Never followed up with CCNA exam. I decided to follow programming instead.

I did the CCNA college cert program though but unfortunately companies don't see that as a true cert.

97gts

Established Member
damn I wish I would've seen this before. I just took it a few months ago because my old ccna had expired. It was a lot harder than what I had took the first time around. I ran out of time but still managed to barely pass it. I had the same sims. EIGRP was easy, ACL was tricky, I thought I had it nailed but only got 60% on ACL's. Not sure where I screwed up. I ended up skipping the last question on the simlet because I just couldn't figure it out and that's with years of experience. I had a lot of questions on subnetting but they were quiet simple. A lot of stupid questions on OSPF and outdated technology...

Screamin03Cobra

formerly 'pony2000gt'
Established Member
I still had 20 minutes left on the exam at the end which surprised me. I aced most of the questions which is why I had so much time left but the ACL sim was really tricky and I felt I spent too much time on it so it and the EIGRP sim. They just happened to be my first two questions too! Not the way I wanted to start it but that's how it played out. I know what I need to study more so that is what I'm doing. I have to wait five days until I can take it again.

Boomer v3.8

Established Member
The CCNA does really test your knowledge on wide variety of topics. (outdated or not, some people still use those technologies)
Even if you have been using Cisco routers/switches for years you may have a hard time with some of the topics, especially if you don't use them on a daily basis.

It can be very costly to retake these exams now,
and once you have it (if you get it) you'll have to recertify within a 3 year period.
Do a CCNA specialty exam, or CCNP level exam to recertify them.

Screamin03Cobra

formerly 'pony2000gt'
Established Member
Solid advice. Be sure to take a schedule two narcotic that isn't prescribed to you...
Funny because my best friend offered me some before I took it. I passed because I'm blood tested in my guard unit every month and I have no prescription. I'm sure it would help though!

Screamin03Cobra

formerly 'pony2000gt'
Established Member
Boomer I understand your point completely. After I get it the CCNP will be next. Good things is most of my friends are in the industry and are a lot of help. Thanks for the advice

Lefty10

....Slow....
Established Member
I'll be re certifying soon...

I still hate subnetting to this day. Cisco needs a reality check...everybody uses a subnet calculator these days.

bright blue

Established Member
Took a pre-test and scored 80%. It was just a short test, and I'm sure not the one that you took. I'm a network administrator at a small company and binary is a weak point for me, so I'm sure I screwed that up. I've been in the field for 9 years now.

prs97

Established Member
I've had good luck with the Cisco press books and try to get as much hands on experience with real gear as much as you can. Either that or dynamips/GNS should help too.

Good luck.

SciFiHiFi

Established Member
FYI some test centers offer a free re-take after failing. I'm not sure that it is a legit policy because other testing centers told me they've never heard of it, but they are out there.

Don't spend too much effort studying where you scored poorly, you may find the retake hammers you on completely different areas. In fact it's pretty likely that they will not focus on the same topics on the retake.

Boomer v3.8

Established Member
FYI some test centers offer a free re-take after failing. I'm not sure that it is a legit policy because other testing centers told me they've never heard of it, but they are out there.

I've seen bootcamps/training facilities do that.
"Take our course, free retests"
They'll keep paying for retakes.

The other nice thing too is...if you have a company paying for courses/training. (I'd never be able to afford them out of pocket)
Places like Global Knowledge will give you exam vouchers for single course certs or bootcamps (ie: if you take your CCNA security, they include the voucher for a CCNA level exam) and possibly retakes.

I've liked taking courses at Global Knowledge too.
A lot of times they have the actual people that write the Cisco Press books teaching the course.
It's great asking a question and hearing "that's because..."
instead of "let me get back to you on that..." :read:
and they never do.

-----------------------

Also Screamin'
I've known some people to take the 2 exams seperately...ICND1 and 2.
They at least get the CCENT first, and then choose to tackle the routing/switching after.
Only thing is, its 2 exams and I think more expensive than taking the one exam seperately.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread