Taking my ASVAB in two weeks

sc98cbra

Established Member
Hola,

I will be taking the ASVAB in two weeks. I am currently a college senior in the pre-law program at the College of Charleston and will be graduating in May with a 3.5 GPA. I have been trying to e-mail recruiters from the Navy, Army, and Air Force, but have only received a response from an Army recruiter, who set me up with my test date.

I would eventually like to attend Law school and become a JAG officer. I took the practice ASVAB at the recruiters office and earned an 83. The recruiter told me that I would receive, on average, 5-10 points higher on the actual test. The only part that I had trouble on was the mathematics portion.

I will be in debt from college, and from what the recruiter told me was that the Army offered a SLRP (student loan repayment program), and that they are the only branch to offer such program. I found this quite interesting, considering that our government cut back on spending tremendously last year. Also, he had said that I have the potential to become a commissioned officer, or a warrant officer (Flying helicopters), if I earn a 110 GT score on my ASVAB.

My recruiter seemed very motivated in getting me the best that he could, but I have heard horror stories about recruiters. I am not completely set on joining the military, just simply exploring my options. Obviously the SLRP and officer pay is very appealing to me, as I do not want to spend the next 10-15 years of my life repaying college loans. Can anyone confirm what my recruiter has said? Any advice? I'm always weary of things that seem too good to be true. Also, are there any good programs/books to study for the ASVAB?

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
Do you want to be a Soldier or are you choosing that route simply because you're too lazy to drive to the recruiters office? lol (Hope I don't sound like a huge asshole)

I suggest looking at the different jobs you'd be interested in, different bases you'd be willing to spend 4-6 years at, and the other branch specific thingamajigs.

When I took the ASVAB I scored within 2 points of my practice test. I also sucked the big one in math, I suggest trying to brush up on it a little.

I'm in the AF Reserve and they're currently paying back my student loans. I know they stopped paying active duty loans for a while but I believe they've started up again. I'm sure someone can confirm that for you.

Last edited:

SVTsupremecy

Established Member
ASVAB is for enlisted gents...just saying because if you have a college degree or want to become a JAG, I would go the officer route. I know the JAG core is hard to get into from what I have heard, but if you are just trying to get your foot in and set yourself up for success (achieving JAG officer) I would try applying for Jag officer first.

This is coming from someone who finished college and decided to try Naval aviation and applied / admitted into Navy Officer candidate school. I had to take a special test with an additional flight test portion. Also I had to speak to a specialized officer recruiter who submitted my application.

There are plenty of Test prep books for all military tests. I would take 2-4 weeks to study up on everything so that you don't score poorly. Make sure you know what you are getting into and use the recruiters as a source of extra information, some dont always know what they are talking about.

If you have any questions PM me, I have been a Navy officer for about 1 year now and I am currently a Naval Flight Officer in flight school.

Rochambo

Established Member
As far as the ASVAB part, I actually just took mine a couple of weeks ago. I'm currently a full time Deputy but am trying for the National Guard for the added healthcare and second pension.

I am horrible at testing. I don't know why, but I just suck. I managed to not study at all, and passed with flying colors. My AFQT was 80. I don't remember all of the other scores, I just know they were all above 112. Recruiter was more excited than me. I qualify for any MOS of my choosing, so long as it's available that is.

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
Take your time and look into all the jobs and narrow it down to what you want. Don't join the Army simply because you're recruiter is motivated to get you in.

Ask around here and maybe we can get a career counselor or recruiter help guide you. I know too many people who rushed into the military not knowing what the hell they signed and are now stuck in a contract.

If I were you I'd look into the Air Force, Navy and Army if you'd like to pursue JAG. FYI the Navy and Air Force were the only branches that did not drop tuition assistance during the government shut down.

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
Hola,

I will be taking the ASVAB in two weeks. I am currently a college senior in the pre-law program at the College of Charleston and will be graduating in May with a 3.5 GPA. I have been trying to e-mail recruiters from the Navy, Army, and Air Force, but have only received a response from an Army recruiter, who set me up with my test date.

I would eventually like to attend Law school and become a JAG officer. I took the practice ASVAB at the recruiters office and earned an 83. The recruiter told me that I would receive, on average, 5-10 points higher on the actual test. The only part that I had trouble on was the mathematics portion.

I will be in debt from college, and from what the recruiter told me was that the Army offered a SLRP (student loan repayment program), and that they are the only branch to offer such program. I found this quite interesting, considering that our government cut back on spending tremendously last year. Also, he had said that I have the potential to become a commissioned officer, or a warrant officer (Flying helicopters), if I earn a 110 GT score on my ASVAB.

My recruiter seemed very motivated in getting me the best that he could, but I have heard horror stories about recruiters. I am not completely set on joining the military, just simply exploring my options. Obviously the SLRP and officer pay is very appealing to me, as I do not want to spend the next 10-15 years of my life repaying college loans. Can anyone confirm what my recruiter has said? Any advice? I'm always weary of things that seem too good to be true. Also, are there any good programs/books to study for the ASVAB?

If you're wanting to be a JAG officer, you need to ask about the direct commission program.

Unfortunately, you really waited to long to look into this. Had you done ROTC, you could have been placed into the educational delay program after undergrad to allow you to attend law school and then return to service to complete your contract.

That doesn't mean it's not possible now. It just requires a different route.

Chosyn1

I'm your Huckleberry
Established Member
1. don't call or e-mail, if you want it bad enough go to the office and talk to an Officer Recruiter.
2. Recruiter's will tell you what you want to hear.
3. do some research before sign anything.

if you have any specific questions you want answered pm me. i've worked at MEPS for 2 years w/ every service and every section and i can give you a POC for your local MEPS.

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
According to a couple sources the Army and Marine Corps use the ASVAB for enlisted and O's.
Is that correct for the Army side Matt?

That's dependent on how you gained your commission I believe. For instance, ROTC and West Point do not utilize the ASVAB. But, I believe that OCS candidates do require the ASVAB in case they are unable to complete their OCS contract and then have to enlist.

That said, many high schools can offer ASVAB testing even though it may not be a requirement for ROTC.

I'm not aware of any non prior service officers with a GT score.

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
That's dependent on how you gained your commission I believe. For instance, ROTC and West Point do not utilize the ASVAB. But, I believe that OCS candidates do require the ASVAB in case they are unable to complete their OCS contract and then have to enlist.

That said, many high schools can offer ASVAB testing even though it may not be a requirement for ROTC.

I'm not aware of any non prior service officers with a GT score.

Gotcha, thanks for the clarification. :beer:

V8Thrasher

Established Member
As far as the ASVAB part, I actually just took mine a couple of weeks ago. I'm currently a full time Deputy but am trying for the National Guard for the added healthcare and second pension.

I am horrible at testing. I don't know why, but I just suck. I managed to not study at all, and passed with flying colors. My AFQT was 80. I don't remember all of the other scores, I just know they were all above 112. Recruiter was more excited than me. I qualify for any MOS of my choosing, so long as it's available that is.

I know quite a few LEOs who were at one time enlisted in the armed forces/veterans, and also LEOs who are National Guard or Reserves with other branches.

Id like to go National Guard or Coast Guard Reserve but im in the process for State Corrections right now so hopefully if all goes well after probation Id like to enlist myself.

The ASVAB was hard for me.... and that was the practice test lol.

I passed everything with failry high scores minus math...I BARELY passed math...

Dragu1a

Established Member
Hola,

couldn't help but notice something missing there...

Sirraf

Established Member
I was Air Force and I would do Marines ANNNYYYY DAYYY over the friggen Army. They treat their people like dogshit. Marines take care of one another at least.

We always got along with Marines, not the damn Army though.

10fore

Established Member
As others have stated, talk with an officer recruiter if you are interested in going JAG. The last thing you'd want to do is enlist, get suck in an MOS that you don't like, and then miss the opportunity to do Green to Gold, STA-21, etc... I'm not sure of your age, but that could play a role too, as the older you get the more narrow your opportunity will become and you may potentially need a waiver.

Take the time to really sit down and figure out what branch will offer you the most and then go physically meet with someone.

Users who are viewing this thread