Taking care of a red car

Sn8kebitten

Established Member
So I recently bought a 2014 Race Red GT and I'm looking for advice on how to keep this thing clean and wash it the proper way. I've never owned a red car before let alone an (almost) brand new car. The car has some light swirl/scratch marks from the previous owner using a car wash brush I assume that you can only see in direct sunlight so I'm thinking about having the car buffed to get these out.

A local detailing company charges $350 for a "ceramic coating package that consists of wash decon interior compounding, polishing, and sealing" and says with care, it will last up to 3 years. Is this worth it? I thought maybe I would get a nice detail to get the car buffed and then take care of it from then on.

So what in you guys opinions would be the best way to wash the car to not accidentally scratch it? I've read about using the two bucket method to keep dirt off the pad so I'm planning on buying another bucket but I'd also like some opinions on what wash pads or sponges to use on the car. I figure I can order something better than what I could buy at Walmart or auto zone. The car sits outside all day as I don't have a garage so it'll be in the elements 24/7. Any help is appreciated! Thanks
Untitled by Josh McClure, on Flickr

helloWorld

Established Member
I have a race red 2013 5.0 myself and I believe the safest way you can wash your car is by pressure washer (impossible for you to directly contact your paint) and the safest way you can dry your car is by getting a leaf blower to blow the water off (impossible for you to directly contact the paint.)

I also use Pinnacle Souveran wax, which they say is designed for darker colored vehicles, red is specifically mentioned: http://www.autogeek.net/pinsouvwax.html

hoamskilet

Established Member
What coating was that shop going to use? They aren't a cure all, but they are pretty awesome. They offer great protection and I've found that they make it easier to clean.

2 bucket method is good. Also look into the "Gary dean wash method". If your car isn't too filthy, that's a great way to wash

hoamskilet

Established Member
If I do a 2 bucket wash I use some sort of forced air to do the bulk of the drying and then go over it with a good microfiber towel using either a quick detailer or drying aid

Users who are viewing this thread