Taking a trip across southern Canada. What should I know before I go?

haz-matt

Established Member
Im an American planning on taking a solo road trip through southern Canada in september, in just 2 weeks. I live in North Carolina, planning on going up through Michigan into Ontario and taking a pretty direct southern route all the way to Vancouver. The only must see detour is Lake Louise in Alberta. I plan to make the trip back home through the states. This is going to be a pretty rushed trip, I have 9 days and 2 nights to do what Im going to do. Im estimating it will probably a 7000mile trip plus. I feel pretty confident as my sister and I did a trip 2 years ago, 6900 miles in 9 days through southern America and back through middle America and we wasted quite some time during the trip. As an American, what are some things I need to know about Canada? I have a passport so border crossing shouldnt be a problem. I dont plan on carrying any guns, animals, or produce with me. I know this will be a more remote area. I plan on driving my 98 gt, I can do around 350 miles on a tank, will I need to pay close attention to plan my fuel stops? How about hotels, I can sleep in the car some but im not so broke that I cannot get a hotel most nights. Are hotels pretty easy to come by like they are in america? Theres usually atleast one in town that will have a room. Can I use my credit card for gas, food and lodging? Or will I need to obtain some Canadian currency? I have never travelled internationally so this is all new to me. Are there certain things you just dont do in Canada that are ok to do here in the states? Im a pretty well behaved young man but I figured Id ask. Any tips would be appreciated. I know it seems like to stretch to drive that far in such a short amount of time but I feel pretty confident it can be done providing there are no problems along the way....

Jroc

Established Member
You should know that:

There's no Canada like French Canada,
It's the best Canada in the land.
The other Canada is hardly Canada.
If you lived here for a day, you'd understand.

There's no Canada like French Canada.
It's the best Canada in the land.
And the other Canada is a bullshit Canada!
If you lived here for a day, you'd understand.
I think you'd understand.
You understand.

Thump_rrr

Established Member
Gas prices are a bitch in Canada.
Current gas prices are around $1.39/L for regular $1.54/L for 94 octane
1 us gallon=3.78L
If you must run a 93 octane tune you're pretty much stuck buying gas at Petro Canada so a 91 octane or lower tune is ideal.
Canada is very safe as far as sleeping in your car goes.
You can purchase almost anything on your Visa, MasterCard, American Express.
Discover Card not so much.
Almost any place in Canada will accept your ATM card.
Check with your bank if they are partnered with any of the Canadian major banks.
If you have an account with TD you should be good to go since it is a Canadian bank.
Like you mentioned no guns, knives, mace, or tasers since they all carry the same penalties.
Bear repellant is ok since you're going hiking in the Rocky Mountains.

haz-matt

Established Member
Ok I cant carry my pocket knife? My car runs fine on 87, does 25-17mpg. Guess Im looking at 5.25 +- a gallon for gas, yea thats kinda steep. I may never get the chance to do this again though. Whats a hotel run per night normally? I dont need to stay the the Hilton but I dont want something nasty either. I use a visa credit card.

91GT

Established Member
I would grab a bit of Canadian money for small purchases. It is a pain in the ass to always use your card.

Gas and hotels won't be an issue, there are plenty of small towns along the way.

Lake Louise won't even be a detour, it is pretty much right along the way.

On the surface there really isn't any differences between the countries. I spend a decent amount of time in the states and after a while you kinda forget your in a different country.

Feel free to PM me with any questions. I have done the trip a number of times and live in Vancouver.

Thump_rrr

Established Member
Ok I cant carry my pocket knife? My car runs fine on 87, does 25-17mpg. Guess Im looking at 5.25 +- a gallon for gas, yea thats kinda steep. I may never get the chance to do this again though. Whats a hotel run per night normally? I dont need to stay the the Hilton but I dont want something nasty either. I use a visa credit card.

A pocket knife with a blade less than 4" is ok to carry (not spring loaded) but it's for cutting rope, apples, opening boxes etc. not for self defense.
If you happen to need to defend yourself and your knife is handy then no problem.

Comfort inn are reasonably priced and are coast to coast.

Last edited:

Squamishcoyote

Wheel Hoppin
Established Member
You are allowed to turn right on a red light if it's safe... I just got pulled over for this recently in the states, didn't know I wasn't allowed. Also as soon as you enter BC watch your speedo, 35km (about 22mph) over the limit and your car is gone for a week...

Boomer v3.8

Established Member
Ontario its 50km over and bye bye car
10+10% rule is safe to go by.

80km limit, just under 100 they won't look at you.
100km limit, 120 they won't look at you.
At least in Ontario.

Radar and all that jazz=illegal

Don't forget your passport.

Kiohtee

Established Member
You are allowed to turn right on a red light if it's safe... I just got pulled over for this recently in the states, didn't know I wasn't allowed. Also as soon as you enter BC watch your speedo, 35km (about 22mph) over the limit and your car is gone for a week...

We're allowed to turn right on red too, assuming it's safe, unless otherwise noted. :shrug:

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
Canadians like hockey and say "eh" a lot. You might hear someone say "you catch the hockey game last night eh"?

I'd recommend learning a few things about hockey so you'll fit in. And say eh after everything.

daytripper

Established Member
Use your credit card as much as possible . You will always get the best exchange rate . they will take US cash about everywhere but usually try to hose you on the exchange . I made a similar trip a couple yrs ago on my motorcycle . Had a good time , felt safe . I was amazed how third wordly the rural areas looked . The bigger cities seemed quite affluent though .
Have fun .

Darren5.0L

Triple Supercharged!
Established Member
Plan your fuel stops well, in some places along your route gas stations close at 9pm and can get kind of scarce. One of the biggest culture shocks as a Canadian traveling the US is how easy it is to get fuel along the interstates at anytime.

Yes fuel is expensive, fact of life for us.

Hotels are typically $80-100 CDN for a dive, and about $120 and up for a nicer place in a major center. Always ask for the best rate, and be prepared for "tourism tax" in some locations.

Sales tax varies wildly from Province to Province, as little as 5% in Alberta to 13-15% in some spots.

Radar detectors are legal in BC, Alberta, and Saskatchewan but are not permitted anywhere else that I am aware of.

Maximum posted speed limits I have observed is 110km/h generally 15 km/h over is when you will start to attract police attention, use your own judgement. Compare to my recent trip to the US I'd say our roads are much more heavily policed, watch out for Crown Vic's, Chargers, HD & BMW Motorcycles, Taurus, Impalas, and Helicopters.

Drinking and driving is generally not tolerated, with vehicles seizures becoming more common with lower BA limits. Google for specifics.

Have a good standalone GPS or road map as a backup, sometimes Cell service is spotty to nonexistent.

Al that aside have a good trip and toss me a PM if you have any specific questions.

prostkr

Established Member
The last trip I made across rural Canada taught me one thing. Everything closes at 9:59pm this includes the hotels and gas stations.

Wayne SVT

Established Member
Welcome to Canada!! Be sure to travel North and west from Ontario and not south to reach Vancouver. We now have phones and running water and most of lifes amenities. You'll feel right at home here paying higher taxes (free health care EH) and being ripped off at any gas station on the hyway. Food is same with all the burger joints and fast foods you are used to at home and we all speak English (Quebec Excluded). The really good part is we have the best scenery in the free world, though you'll miss a lot driving at night to make all those miles, and nobody carries guns! I'm just being a little facisious no harm intended. Welcome to my home I'm sure it will be a great trip for you.

KurtDog

Established Member
All I know is they say ehh alot. And instead of saying "about", they say "aboot".

So you're from America ehh? George Bush, whats that all aboot? Ehh?

Stay in the western parts too, they speak french the further east you go. They hate Americans.

Users who are viewing this thread