Take a look at this vibe prob please>>

330racing

SVT Poster Boy
Established Member
With my stock wheels and BFG tires I always noticed just a FAINT vibration at above 80....not hardly noticeable.....

I bolted 18s on my car and now at 85+ I get a weird vibration....hard to explain but it vibrates for a second , and then no vibration for a second , vibrates for a second, no vibration for a second..... is this an out of balance tire, or did I just make "the vibe" noticeable? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

svt1.8t

JDM BUILT BADASS
Established Member
welcome to the vibration club, many of these cars have this problem, i'm still trying to find mine, most people think its in the driveshafts or cv shafts, my car is stock 3900 miles shaking since i brought it home, up to 85 no problems the faster i go the worse the shake gets, i tried my friends bbs same problem, so not a wheel issue, i'm going to start indexing my driveshaft tomorrow, i'll let you know what happens

metaman

Established Member
If it where the wheel, it would not be intermitent like that. If it where the drive shaft it probably would not be intermitent like that either. Does this happen on all of the roads you have driven the car on? If it is happening on the same road the smaller sidewall might be giving you the ablity to feel a defect in the construction of the road that you could not feel with the older larger sidewall.

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
Only trip my car has ever made to the dealer since I bought it (used) was for the new driveshaft. That cured a vibration so bad it would blur the mirrors at any speed above 70.

Now it is glass smooth to 155, good thing because everything is "in the mirrors" quickly at that speed.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
I tried indexing my shaft last week but so far no results.

Now that I'm paying attention to it more, it seems to come up between 2k-and 3k rpms in ALL gears. Its just is more severe the faster I go.

I have NO idea what the hell that might be from? :(

330racing

SVT Poster Boy
Established Member
I just find it a little sad that my 17 year old turbo dodge is smoother at 100mph than my 2 yo cobra... oh well.

svt1.8t

JDM BUILT BADASS
Established Member
started indexing my driveshaft today found a site www.cobramods.com/VIBIRS.htm, and started with marking my driveshaft with dots where the bolts go into the rear diff moved 180 degrees out seems better but it is raining and i didn't really feel like doing 100mph in the rain to long, although it did feel better, i'll try and go a little faster tomorrow if its not raining and i'll update from there

ZOSO

colorados baddest eaton
Established Member
I get the vibe at 60 when cold. When the car warms up it isn't that noticable until 80. I had it up to 120 and it was shakin so bad I thought it was gonna fall apart. I did feel a vibe on the dyno but thought it was normal. Oh and now it howells like a bad bearing.

To answer your question tho a driveshaft vibe will/can be intermitent. mine comes and goes. It also does it in my bronco due to shaft angle.

Users who are viewing this thread